1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Zen vs tang pins

towel28 May 21, 2013

1. towel28

towel28 Level: True Devil

Had to do it...

I havnt seen really any threads dedicated too discussing the pro's and con's of each.

I feel like zen pins make a more solid bali, Like keep the lock up with latch tighter longer. I have no proof or back up just what I feel.

I feel tang pins give a better bounce off ricochets

What do you guys think

2. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

All my GOD....it happened...it had been so long but it happened!!!!:cry:

I like zen pins....just for the record:thumbsup:

3. jade

jade Born to be wild Lady Devil

I personally enjoy both. I think what matters most is how well built they are. Good quality tang and zen pins will last forever. Bad quality ones will break down.

WyldStyl3 likes this.
  4. Bill T

Bill T Snatch Boogie Knife Maker or Craftsman

I've seen knives that I like with both styles..

But I like the cleaner look the Zen pins give more.

5. jjhamilton

Exactly the only thing that wins me over one side or the other...own both, like both, love zen

6. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

As long as the bali flips well I could care less :thumbsup:

7. cja245

cja245 Level: True Devil

both are fine if well executed. I don't really care either way.

I'm not a fan of the tang pin / kicker system used on the Benchmade 4x series, since it wears out so fast. A good tang pin should fit the cup in a way that its not going to wear much at all.

I'm also not a fan of benchmades zen pins where you have like 30 friggin' screws on a knife thats supposed to be simple. I prefer the hidden type. They look clean and are hassle free.

Moral of the story is that pretty much everyone gets it right except benchmade.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  8. towel28

towel28 Level: True Devil

I agree with the 42 tang pins I never lock mine up, and I can tell the tension is getting weaker when I do....I love how that tach has such long and thick tang pins....:manganr: and how it takes a real amount of pressure to put it in the open and closed position....I don't get why some people bitch its hard to close that means those tangs will last...pussys lol I guess they both have their value but Zen can look a lot cooler

9. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

The BM4x series got almost everything right. Love both styles. Honestly, I never take into consideration zen or tang when buying a bali. Done right it doesn't matter.

10. Cut One

Cut One Huge member

To me, a sandwich-style bali has to have zen pins because they keep me from pinching the tang between the handle slabs while flipping. -John

Glenn likes this.
  11. Beelzebubbles

Beelzebubbles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm recently in favor of zen

12. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

KICKER-PINS

Come on, someone needed to say it . :ross:

13. zohninja

zohninja JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

we all knew it was going to happen eventually :ross:

SlightChance likes this.
  14. Bravo One-Eight

Bravo One-Eight Little member

Here's something for you Glenn!

[​IMG]

Glenn and exile82187 like this.
  15. Chuck Gedraitis Knives

Chuck Gedraitis Knives knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

As has been stated, if the knife is built properly then either style should last. The real difference is that with zen pins you are limited to a certain tang style. With tang pins you can make the horns on the knife as big or small as you want.

Cut One likes this.
  16. exile82187

True, I guess the simple answer is there is room for both Zen pins and Tang pins in the world.:thumbsup:

17. jjhamilton

Attempting to rationalize a "vs" thread is useless....

Glenn likes this.
  18. exile82187

I guess thats true.:ross:

19. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

I like the cleanness of zen pins, but I also like thicker tang pins. The little tiny ones just look cheap. I don't think it really matters either way though. I don't take it into account when buying a knife either.

20. Ember778

Ember778 Huge member

Can someone explain this to me? I've seen it so much and don't get it. I've never heard of kicker pins. Is it just another name for tang pins?