1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

You're Fired!

Brian_W204 Oct 31, 2018

1. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Hang in there. I have been picking up shifts here an there for the past 2 years w/ no health insurance or benefitrs. My old place of employment has asked me back but they haven't fixed any of the problems that caused me to walk in the first place but it sure would be nice to go to the dentist.

Brian_W204 and Samb like this.
  2. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Hope things are working out. I had to ditch lots of my retirement just when my son starts college. Shitty thing is imI working part-time and now my wife undergoing the same shit, 25 years on the job and now a new boss canning people. Now she can't sleep.

3. hamburger

hamburger Super Deluxe Double Cheeseburger Knife Maker or Craftsman

i had things like this happen to me in my life. its tuff to handle but from my experience time passes and you adjust to things. take a deep breath. go get a new hair cut. no joke it will help. get a Mohawk or a buzz cut it will help you adjust dye it red. talk to all your friends they might know where a job can be had. they will give you information and that can be used for good or even its no job out there it will set your mind thinking is different ways. if you can, try some changes in latitude and that most times results to changes in attitudes.

jimmyjo and Brian_W204 like this.
  4. Brian_W204

Brian_W204 Enormous member

Accepted an official job offer yesterday. Start the new position on May 20th. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Looks like I'll be buying 2 for the troops in the 2019 troop knife deal.

rudechuck, jimmyjo, tubtar and 2 others like this.
  5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Good to hear. Job means more knives and thats always good.

jimmyjo and tubtar like this.
  6. jimmyjo

Congratulations!!

7. Brian_W204

Reviving this 18-month-old thread...

COVID-19 has almost completely wiped out my wife's income. About 30% was in the short-term rentals industry which was devastated by COVID-19, but she was also were notified yesterday that due to changes in local regulations for short-term rentals, she's fired. The rest of her income is from translating and it has simply dwindled due to market conditions being driven by COVID-19, so she's down to less than 10% of what she was making just 2 months ago.

However, it turns out that my job being eliminated 18 months ago was a blessing in disguise. My company just sold the entire product line I was working on back then to another company, so everyone still working there, including two really good friends, are now in job limbo. Some will get job offers to work for the other company, some won't. Most of the offers will come with stipulations, such as relocating to another state with a higher cost of living and lower pay and benefits. The alternative is worse, and it's not a great time to be out of work.

I've had my "new" job for over 9 months. I wouldn't say I love it, but it pays well, has good benefits, and the company is still financially strong. I've also discovered that I can work from home in this job fairly effectively, which is good for the next few months.

8. Brian_W204

Well, Fuck! Rumor started circulating earlier this week that my company is selling my division to a company in Asia. Now it's confirmed and I will find out Monday whether I get to stay at my company. If not, I will either have to take a job working for the other company or be terminated. I know what happens if I take the job at the other company because I've watched it play out multiple times before: as part of the acquisition, the other company agrees to hire employees for a minimum time period (usually 6 months or 1 year), uses them to keep operations running and train their existing employees, and then fires most of them on the day the agreement expires. The employees that aren't fired are forced to relocate to keep their jobs. Luckily, my company said working out the legal agreements will take at least 8 months, so even if I am targeted to work for the other company, I can keep my current job until July 2021 or longer.

My company also recently completed selling off the previous division I was working for 2 years ago when I started this thread. In that case, they didn't say they were selling it, but it's now clear that firing most of the division's' employees in the US (myself included) was intended to make the purchase more attractive to a potential buyer. Unfortunately, my US colleagues that didn't get fired at that time ended up in worse shape than I did, so I guess that's something to be grateful for.

Kelper likes this.
  9. Brian_W204

Well, I get to stay at my company, but the news was little consolation. My father died last week.

As another JD member said: "Fuck 2020!"

10. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

I have to agree with the sentiment on 2020. My condolences on the death of your father. The death of a parent is a uniquely painful experience. Best of luck to you in the future.

Brian_W204, crogers and Balibuyer like this.
  11. markandrex

markandrex Thunderstruck Brigade Member

Smoke and prayers for your loss. My father passed about eight years ago but it still is a wound that never heals.

apdallaround, Brian_W204 and crogers like this.
  12. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Sorry for your loss. Glad you get to keep your job, but that's no consolation for the loss of a father.

apdallaround and Brian_W204 like this.
  13. jimmyjo

Sorry for your loss. Hope things are well.

Brian_W204 and crogers like this.
  14. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

sorry about your dad Bri.and hope all works out with the job

g

Brian_W204 and crogers like this.
  15. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Condolences on the loss of your dad. Smoke and prayers.

I do hope you get to keep your job. This past year has been crap for so many.

Brian_W204 likes this.