1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Your First Knife

2fulhundin Mar 11, 2010

1. 2fulhundin

2fulhundin Official Retard

Everyone has a memory of getting their first knife, whether it be a gift, a purchase, or and actual find. So members of the Jerzeedevil, think back to your first knife and and spin us a tale.

I received my first knife from my uncle when I was 8. He was stationed in Germany with the Army. While coming home for leave he brought all his nephews a Swiss Army knife. I still remember the look of horror on my moms face. After a stern talking to from our Papaw we were turned loose. That summer you could of built a house from the amount of wood that was whittled into toothpicks. We would have contest to see who could slice the longest continuous piece of wood from a stick. Man were we cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
    Crybaby likes this.
  2. MiG Angel

MiG Angel vodka + insane

I bought my first knife from BIG 5 when I was 16. It was a Gerber and it cost me $20. I used it to cut drywall to cover the ceiling in my garage.

The knife finished the job and performed admirably but it broke a couple of weeks later and I was compelled to buy a BM 710 after much deliberation and research.

That's the one that really started it all.

Crybaby and 2fulhundin like this.
  3. PeterH

PeterH Huge member

My first knife was a Barlow that I found along the side of a road in rural Ohio(age 5). My second a Swiss Army knife much like the Farmers model that my Grandfather gave me. I have no memory of what become of either of them, although I know I had the Swiss Army Knife for many years.

Crybaby likes this.
  4. gte217e

gte217e knife dealer Knife Maker or Craftsman

My first knife I received when I was about 8 years old. It was a standard swiss army knife with toothpick, tweezers, scissors, knife, and file.

I received it at the airport from a family member who had just flown in. (Yes a pocket knife at the airport, very common back then).
    While in the car, I proceeded to take out the knife and found out quickly just how sharp the blade is by accidentally cutting the web between my thumb and index finger. I clenched my fist to hide the blood from my parents. This ended up being a bad idea as I had not put pressure on the wound itself, just allowed more blood to spread across my entire palm.

When I opened up my palm, you can imagine the horrified look my parents had on their faces. It cleaned up easily with a cloth. No big deal, and the cut was so sharp it healed pretty quickly.

I still have that knife, but the tweezer, toothpick, and red scales are missing and the scissors broke after trying to cut a palm tree branch.

Good times.

JAM3X, Crybaby and 2fulhundin like this.
  5. 2fulhundin

2fulhundin Official Retard

I think I am seeing a pattern with Swiss Army knives.

Crybaby likes this.
  6. l2lku

l2lku Compulsive Editor

I do not remember my first knife or any specific knives of my childhood but I do remember having some Okapi knives similar to these. Manufactured in Solingen Germany from 1902 - 1987 and currently in South Africa.

[​IMG]

Crybaby likes this.
  7. SoToo

SoToo paranoid self-destroyer

I was a knife nut long before I was in the Cub Scouts, so I had a lot of knives when I was a kid... usually Victorinox, Camillus, Imperial, Schrade, whatever... I just couldn't resist buying the damn things from every checkout counter that had a display stand.

If I couldn't afford them, then I'd just stand and drool over them. We'd travel a lot too, so souvenir shops were a real bonus.... damn I wished I still had all those novelty knives too. Hell, I couldn't even pass up the pocket knives in the bubble gum machines without dropping some coin. :bwah:

However, I think my first real pocket knife must have been this little Imperial, 2 blade, pen knife I still have. Ugly pearl scales, broken tip on the large blade, and it looks like it's been sharpened on a chunk of concrete. I've had it for as long as I can remember, so there must be some reason I kept up with it through the years.

Anyway... that's as close as I can get to naming a first.

Crybaby likes this.
  8. Doc Pringles

Doc Pringles The Devilz Doctor Brigade Member

I went through different stages of knife interest.
    As a teenager growing up in a big city I collected and carried EVERYWHERE (School, etc.) I knew nothing about knives other then the catalogs I received from…I’m thinking SMKW. So you know with a $10-$20 order I was able to get a box of mean looking knives. I know that I had 2 Buck knockoffs in 2 sizes. Bad ass boot knife from Frost (Still have it today) Made in Japan back in the 70’s. A Pakistani folder with a 6” blade. It would protrude 2-3 inches from the handle when closed. A sheath with metal tip kept me from getting stabbed. The lock was so wobbly that I dare not EVER use it. Just walk around flicking a 6” blade like it was a switch blade.

Five years ago it all started with a Gerber Paraframe from Wal-Mart. Moved to CRKT, then Kershaw. I’m in the Spyderco, Benchmade era.
    :stabber:

Crybaby likes this.
  9. dsgibbs1

dsgibbs1 Average member

Peanut

I had a 3 bladed Peanut from Case. It was a knife my father owned before he died in '82. I lost it somewhere between moving to Frt. Benning and Nc. I wish I still had that thing.

Crybaby likes this.
  10. SoToo

SoToo paranoid self-destroyer

Damn... I'm very sorry about that. I'm hoping
    someday you find it in a least expected place.

Crybaby likes this.
  11. waffle126

waffle126 Huge member

My dad gave me a Swiss Army knife for my 6th birthday. I thought I was Macgyver. My mom had a fit but my dad was able to talk her down. I had that thing forever until I dropped it over the side of a boat while fishing. I can only hop some scuba diver found it instead of the fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
    Crybaby likes this.
  12. Winter

Winter Rampaging Sausage Knife Maker or Craftsman

I got a 3 blade Old Timer mini stockman when I was 6 from my dad. I lost it behind a shed. I looked till it got dark and looked all day the next day.

Never found it, but it was the last knife I ever lost. It learned me.

Crybaby likes this.
  13. KDOG

KDOG Huge member

I remember that 2 bladed Schrade to this day. I think that I sharpened it so much over the years that the blades broke in half.

Crybaby likes this.
  14. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Although the first knife I can recall owning was a little fixed blade about 3"-4" long with a sheath I won in one of those crane machines on the boardwalk at the shore when I was probably 7 years old or so. This was my 2nd fixed blade which I had through my teens (still have it)...

[​IMG]

This was probably my first folder which I had as a youngster (and just found fairly recently in the basement)...

[​IMG]

Crybaby likes this.
  15. David1967

David1967 mikov dealer Knife Maker or Craftsman

[​IMG]

I got knife like that from my grandfather when I was 10 or so...

Crybaby likes this.
  16. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs EDCdepot.com Knife Maker or Craftsman

I was five an my parents brought me home a SAK classic from their vacation. About a week later I cut myself pretty bad with it. To this this day it was my worst cut by a knife. I guess I learned to be careful at an early age.

Crybaby likes this.
  17. holo07

holo07 Huge member

i cant remember when i got my first knife. but i love being the uncle who gets to give the kids there first knife. i will pick up the swiss army knives when i see them on sale so i always have few laying to give as gifts. when the boys get older if they are stilll intrested i give them one of my older e.d.c. benchmades.

Crybaby likes this.
  18. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

AH HA.......figured we had this thread somewhere

Curious what you "modern dads" have gotten your youngins.

I'm going to get my oldest his first. He wants a neck knife cause dear ole dad has had one around his neck for as long as he remembers. And I think he'll be able to keep up with it a little better than something in his pocket. He's quite responsible and mature. However, almost every day after school, He, his sisters, & the bosses boys literally roam an 11 acre section of our property. So something around his neck might be best at first.

I think I was 9 when i got my first.....it was a buck folder that was about twice as long as my hand lol.

I thought about one of the entry level little swiss army knives.....but if it ain't clipped to him, he's sure to lose it. Could get him a full size one to use when we do our camping/ outdoors type things though.

Plus those little fuckers are deceptively sharp....I damn near put one through my right ring finger when i was like 12, trying to cut a button off of a remote control like a TOTAL dumbass lol.

apdallaround and Crybaby like this.
  19. Crybaby

Crybaby Little Member

I'm no dad but if I were to get my son something around his neck I'd probably find a small folder with a hole that way he'd still get the full experience of a nice little knife and a nifty necklace with it :) I'm sure if you also wanted to go with the Swiss army knife route most go you could find one with a small hole since there's so many variations now

apdallaround and Balibuyer like this.
  20. Crybaby

Crybaby Little Member

My first knife was a small little winchester knife that my mom's freinds husband gave me because I was really into carving and whittleing little sticks I found in my backyard as a kid but my mom complained about me using the kitchen knives. Lance who was the husband gave me the knife so I could mess with it all I wanted and my parents didn't mind too much I had that knife for about 4 years with constant use and I finally lost it but I found it later again and I still have it i even tracked it down and bought a brand new one so I could compare the two and how much wear I actually had on the knife :D 20200724_190628.jpg 20200724_190640.jpg
    The bottom one is the used one

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    JAM3X, apdallaround and Balibuyer like this.