1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

You Have G O T To Be FUCKIN' Kidding!!!

Komodo Oct 13, 2010

1. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

I would love to see the breakdown of the estimate. Materials vs. Labor, so that I could grasp why it costs so much and what the dentist stands to make hourly.

2. 2fulhundin

2fulhundin Official Retard

save yourself some time, money, and pain. Get a referral to an oral surgery office $95-125 a tooth top have pulled with a follow up included in the price. Then go in next year and have some cosmetic shit done for less money.

Hell even if they pull all of them you are only in the hole 3500 max. then a set of Dentures 3K for some nice ones. and you have saved $14K.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  3. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

Read it and weep! I know I did!!! :devilzeek:devilzeek:devilzeek

4. Komodo

Your prices are off a little.
    I do have a GOOD surgeon, and it would cost @ $450 per tooth pulled.
    I've discussed pulling them all and getting false teeth and that would run $10K-$12K out-of-pocket.

Right now I have to wait and see how much of the $23K the insurance will pay, and how much of the remainder the dentist will discount, and exactly how much this is going to finally cost me out-of-pocket.

BTW, I also have to go see a Periodontist this Tuesday, which isn't included in the $23K. My dentist said that could jack up the bill another $3K-$5K :bwah:

5. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

Well it is all Greek to me. I don't know how to read it. What is labor and what is material. I will tell you that I have one steel cap on a molar and it cost me nothing here, but I am covered under National Health Care. Now, my wife, had to have some serious work done which consisted of a combination of several caps and a permanent bridge for her lower front teeth and the estimate here was 16,000 Euros which approaches your price. We would have had to pay 8,000 even after both our supplemental and primary insurance. As fate would have it, we were having a drink on the balcony of an apartment in Spain and decided to get an estimate for the same work from a dentist whose office we could see from the balcony. It turned out that the dentist is French and is semi-retired. We showed him the estimate, which he laughed at, and he said he would do exactly the same work for 4000 Euros! My wife had it done over a 4 month period. It required spending several weekends a month down in a little fishing village on the Costa Brava, but we endured the inconvenience of all that sangria and paella and she is a now very happy camper with a very nice smile. Maybe it is time to take a vacation!

6. Nmam

Nmam Average member

Yeah , Dental coverage stinks everywhere it seems. I constantly worry about going into hock because of my kid's dental issues.

7. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

Whatever it costs, I would charge at least double. I can't imagine a job looking and sticking your hands into people's mouths all day long. I suppose it could be worse; that is working on the other end.
    all da best,
    rats...

8. 2fulhundin

I hope he is sucking your dick while he extracts a tooth for $450, Good or not that is rape. I have had a few(5) pulled cause I refuse to pay $1500 for a root canal. I used a different oral surgeon for each one and still have not paid more than $150; 4 were $95, 1 was $145. 2 were done in DC, 2 Baltimore, and 1 in State College, Pa.

You just have some terrible luck. I wish you the best.

9. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure that whole dick sucking thing wouldn't be covered by insurance.

That last tooth pull was at the vet school wasn't it? They almost always give a better deal.

all da best,
    rats...

10. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

I know someone who had all theirs' pulled and got Dentures.
    It cost him 13K, and that was 5 years ago.

PM BenDibble, he can hook you up with a nice set real cheap!

11. BenDibble

BenDibble Resident Mortician JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Shit guys, i'm sorry. We just threw away our denture collection.

I will start to stock them up again. Just pm me with an x-ray and a few gum bite samples......:bwah::bwah:

12. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

Do you prefer regular or sugarless gum for your samples?

BTW - I am going to the Dentistette today, and she is cute! I am almost hoping for some work to be done!

13. Komodo

I've always wondered WHY dental insurance sucked as bad as it does. If my health insurance was as bad, I'd of been living out of a cardboard box a looong time ago.

A week in the hopsital can run up a bill well over $100,000 and health insurance has no problem paying it.

A trip to the dentist, and you're FUCKED!!!!

Unfortunately, that is something to worry about.
    When my son was a toddler, he had to get ALL of his baby teeth pulled over the course of several weeks. Even with good insurance, it still cost me a small fortune that took several years to pay off.

14. 2fulhundin

13K is still a new car cheaper than Komodo's quote.
    My step dad had his done last spring and had dentures made. His total bill was Just a little over 11K. But again that comes to what state and city you are in.

15. Komodo

FUCK!
    FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from the Periodontists.
    She wants to operate on my gums. Slice them open and stitch them back up! :devilzeek:devilzeek:devilzeek
    The price: $6000.00

On a "positive" note, she did say that ONE tooth the Dentist wanted to do a root canal/crown on needed to be pulled. That saves me $2000, BUT....that also changes the overall plan for my teeth, AND....I'll be going to my GOOD Oral Surgeon to have it pulled. He doesn't take insurance, so that's $600 out-of-pocket right off the bat.

I have no idea how changing my Dentist's plan is going to affect things, but with MY luck, it's not going to be pretty!:bwah: I'll find out when I see him again next Wednesday.

16. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

to be continued...

2fulhundin likes this.
  17. coronelli

coronelli Reaper of Endsville

Ouch!

It's amazing how much shit in a mouth they can find that needs to be fixed. I think dentists and car salesmen come from the same mold. You can find great ones...but......often not.

I really feel for people with major dental issues, the whole industry and insuurance setup is pretty fucked....even when compared to regular health insurance.

Good luck with your choppers......

18. HandOfCod

HandOfCod Average member

I fucking HATE dentists with a passion. I haven't been to one in 6 years because the last one (who I only visited because my wisdom teeth were giving me grief) told me that he needs to send me to the periodontist to fix up my gums. This is back when I'm barely making enough money to cover rent and food etc so I ask how much?

"Oh about $4500..."

GET FUCKED!

By the way, my gums are still fucked but they've not gotten any worse and nothing has fallen out like he was claiming it would which leads me to believe he was a money grubbing liar.

19. Komodo

So....
    After the Periodontist, I went back to the dentist. He said her plans wouldn't affect his plans. I told HIM :"Oh yes it will!" I can't afford all this work, so things are going to HAVE to change. That didn't phase him in the least, and he proceded to do TWO root canals that day. :devilzeek

The following week (this past Tuesday) I went to my GOOD surgeon for an extraction. Everything went well, and there's no problems with that at least.

My Oral Surgeon IS one of the "great ones". While I was there, I asked him what he thought about my dentist. He said the guy was good, and knew what he was doing. I'll take his word on it, he's never lied to me in the past, and has told me of dentists NOT to go to.

Just because my dentist is good, and knows what he's doing, doesn't mean he's not a "Car Salesman"! :bwah::bwah::bwah: I want to buy a "Chevy" mouth, he wants to sell me a "Rolls Royce" mouth!:bwah:

I go back again this Thursday for more root canals and to try to talk to him again. I should say, to try to get him to LISTEN to me again! :bwah:

20. Komodo

I know how you feel, I've been there.
    Unfortunately, your dentist is RIGHT! :devilzeek
    The majority of my problems were due directly to gum issues.
    Do yourself a favor and get to the Periodontist as soon as you can afford to go. Trust me, you can't afford NOT to.