1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

WTF happened to the JD

mag1 Aug 11, 2018

1. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

Took a break from a bunch of forums, knives and guns mostly, to spend more time with the family, save money, and started more continuing education online.

I have not been happy with the new forum format,I think it sucks, and just not as friendly as it was before. Yea this one look more "up to date", but it seems to have lost the "home feeling".

I can remember all the highs and lows, with people wanting to rip someones assholes out to having some kickass celebrating.

I don't see many on here in the past 2 weeks that used to be on all the time.

Lastly, all I have been hearing is the JD is just a bali forum and seems the veterans aren't a fan. Which looking through the forum and post, it seems to have gone in that direction. This doesn't bother me cuz I neither love or hate bali's.

Just feeling a little frustrated and wanted to see what everyone opinions are while I am having my first Jack on the rocks at 8am on a Saturday morning and getting the news from my wife that its gonna fucking rain all day here in South Jersey!

2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I happen to like this upgrade. Now, the one before this, sucked ass. That's what ran off a lot of the older members, I think. It was problem on top of problem. After a while, Ron upgraded again. I think this is way better than the other "upgrade".

And yeah, a lot of people consider the JD as a bali forum. They have their place, but I've never been into balisongs. I heal too slow to sustain all those cuts required for the learning curve. :balitrickfail:

To quote a wise ass man, "All the knives for all the people". Makes sense to me.

I do miss a bunch of the old regulars. Some, to be perfectly honest, I was glad to see go. I'll hang around to see what happens next regardless.

XamaX and Kelper like this.
  3. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Jd is like the weather, just wait and it will change.
    I do miss some of the peeps from back in the day-
    Great personalities, sense of humor and KNOWLEDGE!
    i learned a lot from them. Heck, Mike Stewart has forgotten more about knives than ill evAr know.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    XamaX, tubtar, Kelper and 1 other person like this.
  4. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

I came back to a whole new world JD after a few years off. I miss a lot of the older guys but I also don't want to be the guy that spends all the time in the past. I think the level of discussion and interaction is way down from where it was but I think much has gone to other sources (Instagram, et al) that takes away from this venue.

I wish Ron would post more as that really seemed to spur discussion (but I am guessing a major lack of time on his end). For those that weren't around in the busiest times, Ron would average dozens of posts a day. Combine that with others chiming in, there would be ten plus pages of posts between the time I logged out and logged back in the next day. Now, if there are more than two (including all the new member intro posts) pages worth, I am surprised.

That being said, I see a lot of potential to return to the postings of old. There are a lot of interesting people on here who have not yet shown us what they have to share. Not sure why (time demands likely) but I'd like to see more.

Kelper, seandavid55 and BennytheBlade like this.
  5. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I only wish I could've known what it was like back then.

BennytheBlade and Kelper like this.
  6. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

As far as formatting goes. I like it. I've seen so many forms have shitty formatting and it gets very confusing. On here, it looks good, feels good, and is easy to navigate. But at the same time, has a lot to offer.

Kelper likes this.
  7. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Too many subforums that are inactive and thebanner, MY GOD THE BANNER!!

ded i, desmodus, Kelper and 1 other person like this.
  8. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

I still lurk on the JD. I think bigger social media platforms have hurt smaller forums. I am not on facebook or any other big media formats.

I really should post more, always loved the JD.

Kelper, crogers and BennytheBlade like this.
  9. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

I have to agree. I was flummoxed by the number of forums on here. I think some organization would not go amiss but then there would be less reason for makers and sellers to want to be here as their forums would be buried in sub forums rather than right on top. With a bit of reorganizing, I think it would be much more accessible looking. Some of the lesser forums could be combined into archived areas rather than open forums if they aren't being used (sadly enough, this might include Ultra Hott as its time seems to have passed on here). This is doubly true if the forums relying on links was badly affected by the link breaking changeover.

I think we need something that disallows posting of new members to anything but the Newbs We Are Going To Know And Love subforum for five posts or so. It would avoid a lot of disagreement and other posts about Newbs Being Dicks. It might help Des recover her inner calm as well. I think there should be a ten post minimum before selling as well.

But really though, for this place to regain the feeling of community, people need to post and reply to posts. I want to see your projects. I want to see how you sharpen. I want to see your collections of whatever you want to show off. I am just as guilt as anyone else for not posting up but, damn, there has been a complete lack of response to most things on here of late. We seem to have become a slightly vetted selling forum for the most part.

Most of all though, I have to say thanks to Ron for persevering with an online forum. I know it is costly in time, money, and sanity for him but he has stuck with something beyond what any normal person would accept. Making wide scale changes to settings is always difficult and often leads to more issues. If we all do our part to get things going, content wise, there is no reason why this place can't surge again.

10. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Regarding Ultra Hott, I've posted a lot there over the years. The software upgrades lost a lot of older content and it seemed to me that my newer attempts were met with a "ho hum" attitude. I got VERY few likes from those posts, and even fewer comments. I sort of just gave up on it.

I've always felt that new members, with zero post count, should not even be allowed to view threads in VooDoo. And I'm in full agreement with a ten post minimum before being allowed to sell here. Doing birthdays, like I do, I often view member profiles. I'm constantly surprised at the members with 5+ years of membership and several hundreds of posts, that have NEVER posted outside of VooDoo Economics, with the exception of their intro! I kinda think that sucks! If you want to sell your shit, we should require some kind of participation and/or charge a seller's fee.

Some newbs are total dicks. I think it comes with the "entitlement" thing. If they don't wanna play by the rules, ban 'em. We get some good new members, but some just need to stay on IG and Facebook and do their shit there.

I miss a lot of the older members that used to post frequently. I won't name any names, but, some of youse can guess who I'm talking about. They made this a fun place to hang out in.

I too, need to say THANK YOU to Ron. I try to thank him periodically, but, I often overlook that responsibility. He puts up with a lot, more than I believe I could ever put up with.

Thanks Ron! You know we loves you... non-homo. Jus' sayin'!

tubtar, medit8, BennytheBlade and 2 others like this.
  11. BennytheBlade

Fuck bp

Kelper likes this.
  12. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Back in the day, there used to be a lot of reading and interaction. I joined in 2008 so have been around a couple of years seen lot of folks disappearing. It's a shame that some left because of the new format.

That said we do have some really nice new folks that do join in other areas other than the Bali stuff.

I enjoy the company here. crogers really does great with the Birthday stuff and continuing the on this day thread. All in all I believe a forum is a good little family.

13. BennytheBlade

One of the biggest draws we used to have was bob/thebrightedge/badass knife dealer and makers.
    With bob passing and instagram we lost all that. It was really cool talking to people who make shit really well and would talk about their craft.

tubtar, Bobert and Kelper like this.
  14. mag1

yea maybe it is due to other SM, I don't know.
    Ive talked personally with 3 other members about it, and they agree.
    Seems that our knife interests were high when everyone was active here, but now our knife interests are at a all time low.

Kelper likes this.
  15. tmbrcrafter

tmbrcrafter totally hetero, no seriously Brigade Member

Well said. For those of us who knew Bob, he was a true enthusiast and collector and had has finger on some of the nicest blades ever made. Bob had special runs made, found knives you were looking for and was just as stoked as anyone to be in the hunt for great piece. Now every knuckle head is a dealer and just after a flip. Bob had a passion for the craft and helped us all along. Other collectors have come and gone as well and it just seems that these days the fun has left the JD.

"Ron's being a dick again..." Bob Bartoli (RIP Bob)

tubtar, waterdogs, norcal13 and 3 others like this.
  16. BennytheBlade

Too true

Kelper likes this.
  17. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Is there still a J-D Grind -in?
    That's where I meet a bunch of cool cats...

18. crogers

Bark River still has Grind-Ins... Official JerzeeDevil Grind-In, not so much.

They usually have 3 per year. Info at http://www.barkriverknives.com/index/grind-ins/

Kelper and BennytheBlade like this.
  19. mag1

I can remember wy back when Lorne messaged me and said hey man, lets go to the grind in, the guys are having a blast. I was like WTF is a grind-in? Next year I went and had one of the best weekends in a long time.

tubtar, JIMMY_MAC and Kelper like this.
  20. sandwich

sandwich Brigade Member Brigade Member

Twas a good weekend

tubtar likes this.