1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Wrongful Conviction...

Looseyfur Jun 6, 2016

1. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I have been in a fight, for several years. A fight for my friend Paul, to be acquitted of a crime he didnt commit. Im not asking for anyone to take my word for it, but rather to review the evidence and make a choice to support his cause.

I met Paul, back when I lived in Boston, he was a mutual friend of my girlfriend at the time. We started hanging out a lot after being introduced, we were both really into music, I was in a metal band at the time, he was also working on his own music while being in a band, we had music in common at first. We became really good bros, like the kinda bros who had eachothers back without question. Paul was a student at the MFA in Boston, he is a super talented musician and actor that had a super bright future. He became such a good bro that even when me an the girl I was with got done, I remained very close with Paul and during the summers he would go back to NY but come into Boston for a few weeks and several times he crashed at my house. My door was and is always open to him.

When I finally left Boston and moved home to Maine, with the hope of starting a family with my then girlfriend Tilly, Paul was staying in NY exclusively and pursuing his acting an music career, he was in a pretty successful band called Monolith, and was also a personal trainer at a gym in NYC. He had met a girl named Catherine Woods, and was in love.

About a year later I lost touch with Paul, my wife to be, left me for someone else... I was in a bad place and sent him a few emails... that went unanswered. Finally I thought to try and find him on facebook or something considering it wasnt like him to not answer, I was thinking perhaps the email address I had wasnt one he was using anymore. I googled him to get some info.. and thats when I first started reading about the "death of a dream" book deal Erin Moriarty, the media circus which had severely damaged Pauls case, and the Catherine Woods murder itself in great detail. I was floored... NO way, and I still feel that way today. No fucking way did Paul do anything like this. So I tried to contact his parents, and got nothing in return. Eventually his uncle Lou put me in touch with his defense team. These are the folks involved with trying to clean up the horrible mess his two original attorneys made of his case, attorneys so incompetent that one of them has been in severe legal trouble for giving contraband to prisoners. Attorneys who never preformed testing on BLONDE hairs clutched in the victims hands,( Paul is PUERTO RICAN) and who never paid for expert testimony that would have easily acquitted Paul from this mess. Paul willingly went to the police, the day after, allowed himself to be tested questioned and photographed he knew he had done nothing wrong, and wanted to help, he was very much in love with Catherine, and wanted to do anything to assist, he thought he had nothing to fear he felt the justice system would be there to find the true perpetrator of the crime... he thought wrong. During all this the person whom I believe to be responsible drove all suspicion towards Paul. The media had already taken the ball and ran with it, Paul was walking into a nightmare.

Some positive news of late, with the help of a very gracious and talented attorney, things are coming together!

The details of the case are presented on the link. If you can consider giving a donation. Money is the thing keeping Paul from freedom. I give what I can as often as I can. We are close. Please consider helping after you read the website.

I cant and wont say anything to damage his case, but believe me when I say its impossible that my friend did this.

I am asking all devils to treat this post with some modicum of respect. This is my friends life we are talking about, as well as true peace for Catherine Woods and her family, and for the real person that committed this crime, to PAY for what they did.

I am a big boy, I understand not everyone will see it my way, however if you review the evidence as its presented you will see at the least there is reasonable doubt. There are always two sides to the story, Im not naive, please research and draw your own conclusions.

I have been with this case along time and we are close to being able to find some justice in this. Its severely expensive anything helps.

If it were your son, your father, brother or friend, you would not walk away. Please visit www.freepaulcortez.org for an overview of the case, we are certain after reading you will be very comfortable in assisting in the fight to get Paul out of prison.

All donations will be used for legal fees, expert testimony, and in effort of getting Paul acquitted of a crime he did not commit.

Any donation, means so much to this effort. Paul and his team are very close to being able to show the court system that he is unequivocally NOT guilty of the crime for which he was wrongfully accused and sentenced for. http://www.freepaulcortez.org/case-overview/

thank you all so much, this means a lot to me. Many of you are my friends and I hope youd do the same for me.

Best-
    Ed

*mods if this violates a rule of any sort please let me know and I wont post anything of this nature again here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    Kelper likes this.
  2. Muse1

Muse1 Little member

Wow, I genuinely feel for you and Paul. Send him my condolences for all that is happening! I will support if I can. I've had family go through the same trauma of having a loved one taken away and then unthinkably being blamed for it, there's no worse feeling in the world to know that they aren't looking and you feel powerless. Don't give up the good fight, they will catch the trash that did this and Catherine can rest easy. I'm rooting for ya!

3. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

I think you got his school wrong. The MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) in Boston doesn't offer degrees, as far as I know. Article says BU...fwiw
    After reading your post, and article below, Im fairly convinced it was Haughn. I mean, the evidence clearly points to one of the two, so if it aint Paul...and that "I went out but came back 20 mins later and she was murdered" bit? What are the odds on that happening?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/02/15/nyregion/15cnd-cortez.html

4. dymond47

dymond47 Better than gold or platinum

sorry to hear for what going in your life right now. we all worry for those we care about. prayers for your friend

5. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

How aweful for her, him, everybody.

6. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

Read through most of it, looks very obvious he didn't do it.
    Peace and safety, hope he gets out soon enough.

7. Looseyfur

Thanks for the support and kind words.

Please donate if you are able. Everything counts.

best-
    Ed

8. Looseyfur

Things are moving forward and after 9 yeas in prison its starting too look like we will finally get some traction on this case. If anyone knows anyone who has experience with fund raising via non-profit orgs, or just fund raising in general could you please PM me.

the innocence project is involved however they only fund for DNA experts, so they will be there to support that effort during court proceedings.

if any devil knows anyone who can assist with or has practical knowledge with fund raising efforts please get in touch.

we can not use the gofundme website for this, we tried to establish it and the site rejected our entry. so far they have not responded to our inquires as to what about our entry violated their terms.

I need to you imagine this was your son, your brother, your friend fighting for the truth. If every devil here just posted 5 dollars you could make a huge impact in hiring a PI to fully vett the defense teams findings, and help to also hire more expert testimony which was ignored by his incompetent lawyers who even allowed smoking gun DNA evidence to not be properly calibrated.

the justice system is extremely complicated, overturning these types of things can be dependent on several factors that have multiple legal layers that have to be moved through.. it is not like TV, nothing is simple even obvious things like BLONDE hairs clutched in the victims hand (Paul is not blonde btw hes Puerto Rican and has dark hair) can be mismanaged and getting back to the place where the new defense team can get this evidence back into court is a quagmire of steps all of which cost MONEY.

Paul could spend the rest of his life in prison for what amounts to money someone well off might spend on a high end luxury car...

9 years has cost dearly, and the cost to Paul isnt possible to measure much less the unrest to the victim.

Please PM if you have any information on fundraising or have practical experience.

thank you.

Kelper likes this.
  9. MidnightAbyss

MidnightAbyss JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Shit... This sucks to hear, Ed. Regardless of whether he committed the crime or not, there is enough evidence here to cast doubt. From what information we were provided, I don't think he did it. "Better to let nine criminals run free and save one innocent from sitting in jail for something he didn't do." Words spoken from some defense lawyer...

10. Slowcash

Slowcash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Totally looks like her roommate did it, wow just wow. There is definitely a resalable doubt. Maybe it's my extra set of chromosomes but I can't find a donation link or email for PayPal anywhere.

11. Looseyfur

There is a link on the right hand side mid way down on the front page.

Every donation brings Paul Cortez closer to his rightful freedom. His legal expenses are daunting and he cannot meet them without our help. Please do what you can to help Paul regain his freedom.

Thank you for your kind generosity.

Or, send a check/money order to:
    The Wrongful Conviction Defense Fund, Inc.
    P.O. Box 714
    East Brunswick, NJ 08816!

thank you!

12. Bango Skank

Bango Skank Level: True Devil

Criminal? Justice? System?

Too much of two and woefully lacking in the ONE that actually matters.

13. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

Kelper, begreen61 and desmodus like this.
  14. Looseyfur

Thank you for the update Nate.
    With evidence squarely placing the livin ex boyfriend in the apartment during the murder, we can hope their will finally be justice here.

desmodus and Kelper like this.