1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Working Overtime - Katana

stephanfowler Jan 11, 2009

1. bootstrenf

bootstrenf BRB- starting epic threads

what steel did you use for this blade???

2. stephanfowler

stephanfowler knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

1084, quenched into Parks #50

I'm still struggling with how to get the curvature right with the oil because it tends to pull the blade back to straight.

This one really annoys me but I'll hang it on my wall as a momento. but it will be nearly impossible to mount properly. the blade is straight for the first 12" and then there is a large curve in the last half of the blade. so the Saya would have to be monstrous......

I have already made another one (1084 again) that came out as more of a Tachi Sori (curve focused on a point 1/3 from the handle) that will be much more suitable.....

3. lvbuckeye

lvbuckeye Little member

is the forge made from an old propane tank? crazy. in a good way.

4. stephanfowler

stephanfowler knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Freon actually, but yeah, still crazy

5. bubba-san

bubba-san Katanakaji Knife Maker or Craftsman

Nice blade Steve, I like the picture of the temper cycle! I have a naginata I have been working on, and I wondered how I was going to temper it because, my oven is too short . Now I know, just leave the door open a little . Bubba

6. potterma

potterma Huge member

Very cool Thanks for the pics!

7. 2fulhundin

2fulhundin Official Retard

very nice progress pics.
    speaking of the blade curvature, I saw a documentary on History channel about Japanese knives and the "Guru" was showing the process and explaining things as it went. he was saying that the curvature of the blade was the hardest thing to learn, besides the Heat treat temp done by eye and the color of steal. He also said that it had to do with the angle the blade was quenched. he was showing his fancy watering trofffrom the 1800's that he quenched in. i will look and see if I can locate the show number, and maybe you can find it on you tube or their website. damn fine show.

8. bubba-san

bubba-san Katanakaji Knife Maker or Craftsman

Indeed that is difficult to learn , I have been practicing for a few years and , several things control the sori , Placement of the clay , how much clay , temperature , angle of quench ,( if you angle the blade when quenching you will get more sori than if you quench straight up and down) and type of steel . There are some other factors , like even heat that determines if your blade will bend or curve . I have practiced at this for a while and I am just learning to control it barely. My big test will be in a couple of weeks, I have a naginata that is nearly forged . Most of the sori on a naginata is in the kissaki area the last 8 " of blade ,I hope ? I will post a before and after pics . It's 33" OL. with a 17" tang.

9. Iceman

Iceman GI-NORMOUS member

not too shabby bro. !!!!!

10. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

Well done Sir.:jdsmokin:

11. momatej

momatej Little member

Wow, I was always wondering how Japanese swords are made.

12. pygar62

pygar62 Little member

Thx for the cool pics. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

13. Horizonod

Horizonod Bladezilla Knife Maker or Craftsman

nice job

14. archer-ca

archer-ca Huge member

Man, those dramatic pics are awesome! Love to see more sword projects of yours! :leatherdevil :

Cheers,

Norman

15. Blastmaster1972

Blastmaster1972 Koele Duivel

Wow. Can't wait to see that one finished.

Kind regards,

Jos

16. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Fiddleback Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Damn Stephen. You won't be an apprentice for long.

This is some damn fine work you're putting up. :devilzeek

17. beergoddess

beergoddess shorter than endowed Lady Devil

be careful...you'll poke yer eye out, kid! :devilzeek

thats a big 'ol sumbitch!

18. Burchtree

Burchtree knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Looking good!!

This is my biggest problem with trying to make swords. I've heat-treated a few and even though I've put in a "cheater" curve in some, I've never quite got the curve I want. This is about the only time I advocate using water because it will curve down and you need that water to bring it back up unless you use higher heat (which defeats the purpose :madaddy:) or salt pots. I just haven't had the balls to do it recently. :devil1: