1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Work Sharp -Ken Onion Edition

falcon125 Nov 2, 2013

1. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
  2. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

You can get a similar unit (same design, without Ken`s name on it) for half that price....

And yes, they work quite well....

begreen61 likes this.
  3. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Details?

4. falcon125

And where would I find one without K.O's name on it?
    Looks like it would be useful at camp.

5. smrst45

smrst45 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

6. falcon125

Thanks. Christmas shopping for the old man is done.:chuck:

7. ArchAngel

ArchAngel "CHO CREEP"

There are some differences between the standard and the KO.
    The KO has a variable speed motor for more control and ability to keep the heat and stock removal to a minimum. It also has a larger stronger motor. It uses a wider 3/4" belt as apposed to the 1/2" ones on the lighter version. You can also use the 1/2" belts on it if you have them.
    For me having the larger variable speed motor and the wider belts was worth the extra expense.
    I have used small belt sanders/grinders where I worked for 25+ years.
    I own a nice Dynafile that uses the same size belts that I have used for years reworking convex edges on some of my larger blades and tools so this is just another addition to my sharpening tool selection.
    Bench stones, Edge Pro professional, sharpmaker, KO Worksharp, Dynafile.
    I just love having different tools to do things in multiple ways I guess.

8. Clovis

Clovis Brigade Member Brigade Member

Please forgive my ignorance but how do you prevent overheating the blade? I would like to have one of these but I don't want to fuck up any blades.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2013
  9. ArchAngel

ArchAngel "CHO CREEP"

I am not sure on the standard one but with the Ken Onion edition you can slow down the belt speed. That in combination with a light touch and keeping the blade moving has worked well for me. No problems with heat build up at all.

10. Clovis

Thanks, appreciate the response, makes sense.

11. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

I have the "standard" version http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Work-Sharp-P381C68.aspx?gclid=CJGWp5Kgo7sCFU5o7AodvGQATg

(didn't buy it there, just using it as a referance)

I love it. It works well, and is fool-proof. It's well worth $70, not sure I'd go for twice that much for the KO one unless I was sharpening knives on a daily basis. The cheapper, standard one serves my needs very well. :thumbsup:

KAZ2 likes this.
  12. KAZ2

KAZ2 Huge member

Good information. May have to upgrade from my old Spyderco

13. Clovis

Got one of the KO edition, works great, if you follow the instructions you can't fuck up. I brought an old kitchen knife back to life and a pair of scissors too. The wife is happy now that she can get back to mangling up some shit and I'm having fun with it. :thumbsup:

14. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

I have been using the KO edition for a couple of months now and will say this is a game changing sharpener. It is fast, easy and the results are truly amazing. I can't say enough about how great this tool is. If you want to sharpen knives quickly to perfection this is for you. I recommend this product 100%. I have a Sebenza 25 with a fresh high polish edge that took maybe 10 minutes.

15. TeeDubya

TeeDubya Little member

Any input on the Ken Onion Work Sharp mo'sheen?

Saw this little rig and wondered if anyone had an opinion from owning one and how it really worked? Searched but didn't find anything.
    https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-W...795&sr=8-2&keywords=ken+onion+knife+sharpener

I've been a manual stone guy since a kid and still enjoy doing it by hand and the satisfaction of getting a shaving edge myself. While looking at getting a Lansky Diamond or KME system I saw these and thought they looked nice and were built by a respected company. As mentioned in the video a convex edge will be stronger and hold up better than a flat grind edge from stones too.

16. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i was looking at those too.

i've convexed a couple blades manually, but i like the idea of the power tool. it would be easier to them more quickly.

i don't think the price is too terrible either. some sharpening devices are insane. i could get a decent high end knife for what they cost.

17. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

The Ken Onion version (there`s also a more baslc, less features version for around $50 less) is quite a nifty little machine. After a little practice (buy a few thrift shop kitchen knives to start out on), you will be amazed at the quality of edge that can be gotten. You can even buy leather belts for that truly polished edge !

[video=youtube;l_1sleGeFrc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_1sleGeFrc[/video]

18. Berkley

Berkley Ancient Life Form Brigade Member

I’ve always been embarrassed by the fact that I’m very bad at sharpening. Arkansas stone and Lansky, just never really did the job for me.
    A friend who always has very sharp blades highly recommended the KOWS. I found a lightly used one online, with a complete set of unused new belts, for $100 shipped.

[​IMG]

Best investment I’ve ever made. Absolutely recommend it without reservation.:thumbsup:

19. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

I've had one for over a year and have no complaints.

Got a belt assortment from RIGHT HERE when they were ~$10 less I seem to remember.
    Virtually a grit for any/all occasions. No complaints about them either... :thumbsup:

20. falcon125

Is there a big difference between the work sharp and the Ken Onion version? I have the original.