1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Work knives

Rozz Jun 28, 2006

1. markdeerhunter

markdeerhunter Little member

I own 3 great kitchen knives made by Tojiro.I got the DP series.I found out about these from some excellent advice from another knife forum.These knives came razor sharp and I only need to give them a couple of swipes on a leather strop with green compound every once in a while to keep them that way.I got a 12 cm Utility,a 17 cm Santoku,and a 24 cm Gyoto.I want to get a cleaver because the edges are very thin and you shouldn't cut bone with them.I just use a cheapo Chefs knife for that right now.
    http://www.tojiro-knives.com/

2. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

Nicole,

Can you tell us how you use these and on What types of Food you use them on?

Do you prefer the large handles ?

It seems that most we see are the Smaller handles.

Mike.............................

3. Rozz

Rozz piss and vinegar Lady Devil

I use them for cutting sandwiches, most of the time.

When I'm helping the chef, ya know, chopping, dicing, fresh herbs & vegtables. I like to use a paring knife to trim meats & fish.

I prefer to use a thicker blade & handle for the chopping & dicing though. More control.

Of course I use a serrated for the fresh breads we have.

4. Mike Stewart

Have you ever Tried any of the more Conventional handles ( French & German Style) ?

5. Rozz

Nope. I was thinking about getting my own knife, so no one else mucks it up, but I can't trust the people I work with. Unless I took it home with me everyday. I just use the ones were given unfortunately. But I would love to research some good ideas....do you have any links?

6. BigJim

BigJim Justabuyer Fucktard

I purchased knives for the kitchen three years ago. I asked on the 1911forum and thehighroad forum in the knife sections.

At that time on those forums Wustoff classics were all the rage. I bought a huge assortment from a 10 inch heavy chefs knife down to the smallest Pareing knife. I was like 750 dollars in to them at a very deep discount price. :jdvomit: I do not like them much now after years of use. If I had it to do over again I would Buy a much smaller more select group of Japanese knives. If I HAD to have German pattern knives I would by the Messermiester Meridian Elite knives. They do not have that stupid Full Bolster that makes German knives hard to use and sharpen. They have harder steel and can support thinner edges.

German steel does not work for me because.... The steel is to soft. This means you have to sharpen them often. Edges to thick, they need to be because of the soft steel.

I did reprofile the Wustoff Santuku and polished the now much thinner edge. It seems to be doing ok.

7. Mike Stewart

Most of the German knives are in the 52 to 56 rockwell C range. This is soft by Hunting knife Standards of Today. It is not Soft by Hunting Knife Standards up to the late 1970's.

The Europeans have been very slow to change thier thinking on Chef's knives.

They have to now because the japnese have taken such a hit into thier marketplace.

The japanese knives are 62 to 67 Rockwell C and--to me they are actually too hard and easy to chip.

Nicole--If you do get good knives--You will have to take them Home Every Night. It is a huge problem for Chef's and Cooks that take the time to get, and learn how to use, better knives. They are Either Stolen or Grossly Abused if left unattended.

Who Sharpens the knives you use every day?

Mike

8. Rozz

We have a company that comes every Tuesday to remove the old knives & replace each one with sharpened ones.

I know of alot of chefs that take thier, "Pride & Joys" home with them every night!

So I think I'll just stick with the ones I have to use @work. I mean they aren't bad at all....just on a Monday it gets annoying though. I love Tuesdays.

I don't want to spend a good amount of money on a knife that might get stolen. Now at home ...thats a different story.

9. Mike Stewart

I could tell from the Picture that they were machine sharpened.

I don't blame you for not wanting the Hassle of having to protect you knives all the time.

On the Kitchen Forum there was a story of an accomplished Chef that put down his knife--Walked over to the refrigerator and--in that split second--a new kitchen staff member picked up his $500.00 Custom Knife and punctured the top of an Olive Oil tin with it. Chipped the tip and rolled the edge.

That is why the German knives are still the most popular in all but the most elite high end resturants.

Mike

10. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Big Jim, you get a fresh beer for this -

I bought a messermeister Meridiam 4-inch chef's blade for my wife, who is an exceptionally gifted cook as well as being five feet tall with liltte itty bitty hands.

She made fun of the 4-inch blade until she used it and then it was like watching a food processor with a fantastic appreciation for fine wine. It's the kitchen equivalent of my Pack Rat, which is my go-everywhere do-everything blade.

We've since not only scored an 8-inch and 10-inch Messer Meridian chef-patterns, but also a couple Messer's (8-inch chef and ten-inch slicer, with the food-safe handles similar to Ros's blades. I also keep a 600-grit EZ-Lap bench hone on the kitchen counter and the only thing I cannot keep bone-cutting sharp with that is our steak blades, since they are that cheap-shit Wustoff crap, as well as being way too flexible. I am thinking of trying a few AG Russell Woodswalkers for this purpose.

My wife has come from not seeing a difference from cute little neck knife (Camillus ArcLite) and weapon (MD Panther) to getting the shrieking heebie-jeebies when some ass on the Food channel does not treat a knife properly.

11. Mike Stewart

Nicole,

What do you use at home. ?

Mike

12. Rozz

Don't really use anything...I meant in that last post....if I did cook @ home...lol
    We usually order out, sorry about that, I should've written that.

13. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

These are my favorite work knives. Hundreds of steaks per hour, all the same thickness.

The blades
    [​IMG]

The back of the blades
    [​IMG]

With the conveyor belt attached
    [​IMG]

14. oldvetnam1

oldvetnam1 Huge member

We have a set of Henkels kitchen knives that I am able to keep sharp for my wife who uses them most. She tells me when they get dull. One of my most favorite knives is a carbon steel butcher knife I got in Montana at an old fort gift shop. Looks like hell now but cuts and sharpens really nice. My favorites are my Barkies. Recently I've been using my Snowy River and Mini Canadian a lot and have used my Club Knife as well. My Mini has also become my personal steak knife.

Steve :flag: :TOB: :usa: :jdevil: :firedevil

15. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

nice Tiny!:devilzeek

16. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

:fixed:

Its ok to tell the truth here Tiny, this is JD :ronl: