1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

WIP My first bowie

razorns Jul 8, 2011

1. razorns

razorns Little member

Hi there...

This is my first bowie knife... if this can be called a bowie...

Are there some rules regarding bowies? what can be called a bowie knife? What kind of a grind? what kind of a handle?
    Or there are no rules and this can be called a bowie
    I forged it from a truck spring so the steel is "5160".
    It is now, as forged, 38 cm long, so it will be a little shorter and 5mm thick at the ricasso and tapers both ways...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here is what i sketched fro handle idea... forged guards and bog oak from Ireland...
    [​IMG]

sorry about poor photo quality...

so... what do you think...

Radovan

2. manix j

manix j Huge member

I think....

I think it is a helluva lot better than anything i could make!! :devilzeek

good job!!

J

3. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Huge member

It might not be much of a bowie....

But it looks like it could be one helluva subhilt fighter.

4. razorns

razorns Little member

And what is a difference between bowie and a fighter? in terms of construction and blade geometry?

5. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Huge member

Fighters in general are a bit slimmer. They're meant to be fast. The construction doesn't have to be much different. In general a Bowie isn't a subhilt either.

The narrow profile of the blade just looks more like a fighter to me. If you could grind in a false edge it would be there all the way.

For instance: Dave Broadwell Subhilt fighter:
    [​IMG]

Bowie knife (Mike Ruth)
    [​IMG]

6. the dude

the dude this aggression will not stand man

looks cool