1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

WIP F2K Liner Lock

Sean O'Hare Dec 30, 2014

1. Sean O'Hare

Sean O'Hare O'Hare Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thanks guys. I've been skipping some things as I went along as I thought it might get boring to see what looks like repetition. Definitely a ton of steps when you do everything by hand.

I have been trying to stay ahead of this thread but equipment breakdowns have slowed me down. Here is the latest update of work thus far:

A group show of the clips on the knives (normally I wouldn't bother putting the clips on the knives at this point as it slows me down but thought a pic of them all on the knife would look good):
    [​IMG]

Timascus bolsters for the F2K with pivot hole drilled out, broke my 5/16" counterbore so am waiting for a new one (this did not thrill me as they are very expensive). We are going to go with a decorative Titanium pivot screw on this one:
    [​IMG]

Today is blade grinding day so here is the knife assembled and a rough idea of grind sketched in:
    [​IMG]

After a 36 grit ceramic:
    [​IMG]

I rough in the false edge at 60 grit once the blade has been done to that same grit:
    [​IMG]

After 60 grit I take the knives apart and clean up the flats of the knife, the rest of the grinding I just hold the blade.

Group shot of the flats done and the blades rough ground to 60grit:
    [​IMG]

After going through 120grit, A100 (approx. 220grit), A45(approx. 400grit), and now to a 400grit cork belt with green compound. Steve Johnson gave me this trick years ago, it has really helped me with my grinding.
    [​IMG]

Here is the blade after taking it to a 600grit cork belt. Since this is a Damascus blade I'll buff it to get the last of the grind marks out and later etch it (but that is much later).
    [​IMG]

Progress on the knife to date:
    [​IMG]

That's it for now.

Sean

2. Sean O'Hare

I make my own titanium thumb studs which takes a long time. To make a half dozen sets takes me pretty much all day. So bear with me on this.

Getting ready to turn some titanium for thumb studs, just squaring the end up:
    [​IMG]

Marking center for drilling later on:
    [​IMG]

Tapping the thumb Stud After Drilling Screw hole (this is a blind hole which makes tapping especially difficult):
    [​IMG]

Thumb Stud progress thus far, later I’ll do the ends (the part you will use to open the knife):
    [​IMG]

Got my new countersink:
    [​IMG]

Bolster Countersunk:
    [​IMG]

Holes ready for screws:
    [​IMG]

The pivots that will go with this knife, they are very cool (not anodized yet but still cool):
    [​IMG]

That's it for today.

Sean

3. Sean O'Hare

A quick video of countersinking the pivot screw hole.

[video=youtube_share;EBeRNyAaQ2E]http://youtu.be/EBeRNyAaQ2E[/video]

Sean

4. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I find your entire thread awe inspiring! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the finished product.

5. Sean O'Hare

Well I didn't take many photos while grinding the handles as it is just the same thing over and over as I get to a finer finish.

Here is the knife before grinding:
    [​IMG]

Photo once done grinding, these are timascus so will get heat colored:
    [​IMG]

With Pivot:
    [​IMG]

Group Shot:
    [​IMG]

Note: In the group shot you see screws that are partially ground, these are just temp screws, I use these when I am grinding thin material that I might touch the head of the screw (guess how I got these to where they are now). I probably no longer need to do this as I have been getting pretty good at knowing the depth for screws and where I will finish, old habits die hard I guess.

Getting close to finished now.

Sean

6. Clydetz

Quick thought Sean... Are all these knives spoken for already or will one of them possibly be up for a JD raffle? :devilzeek

7. Sean O'Hare

One of them is actually going to be posted for sale. The upper right one in the group shot, the Rubicon.

I'll PM you for the rest of the info on a possible raffle.

Sean

8. Sean O'Hare

Getting close now.

Here I am working on the other end of the thumb studs, the working end:
    [​IMG]

Rough turned end, needs some buffing to smooth things out:
    [​IMG]

Finished Thumb Studs:
    [​IMG]

On the knife:
    [​IMG]

Working on jewelling the liners, I am using a 3/8" Kratex (spelling???)stick for this:
    [​IMG]

Liners jeweled and ready to anodize:
    [​IMG]

And here we are anodized:
    [​IMG]

Some Titanium Pivot screws ready for anodizing:
    [​IMG]

And anodized:
    [​IMG]

Timascus bolsters heat colored (I tried to get a pic of heat coloring them but I only have two hands and needed both to do the job):
    [​IMG]

Bolsters with the pivots in place:
    [​IMG]

Next up will be an etched blade and assembly.

Sean

9. Clydetz

I'm lovin' it! :thumbsup:

10. Clovis

Clovis Brigade Member Brigade Member

Excellent WIP Sean! You are earning your money for sure, appreciate you taking the time to post up all the pics and explaining the process. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. Toni

Toni JD Jeenius Lady Devil

Yup, yup, yup!!!

:thumbup:

12. Sean O'Hare

Well not much to show after my last post so here is the blade after etching it, putting my name on it, and final assembly.

Blade Etched showing masked off area that I don't want to have etched:
    [​IMG]

Ready to Assemble:
    [​IMG]

Finished F2K Liner Lock with Timascus bolsters, Silver LSCF Handle, and Chad Nichols Blackout SS Damascus:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all folks, hope you enjoyed the WIP.

Sean

Toni likes this.
  13. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

We sure did, thank you :thumbsup:

14. Clydetz

Sean, I can honestly say I loved your WIP thread... one of the best!:thumbsup: Hey, the F2K liner Lock ain't bad either! :manganr:

15. Sean O'Hare

Thanks very much.

Sean