1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

WIP- Complete Step by step--pgs 1-5 Knife and scales-- pg 7 sheathwork.. lots of pics

M.Olexey Jan 10, 2009

1. SPLITSHOT

SPLITSHOT Paracord Pimp

Please Keep Me Informed If Something Shows Up Or Some One Drops Out I Will Drop In,,,let Me Know If We Can Work Out Something With Some Off My Skull Knife Lanyards I Have A Couple Of Guys That Put One Of My Lanyards On Every Knife That They Sell.maybe We Could Work Something Out Mo.....thank's Jeff

2. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

Will do :chuck:

3. KTM

KTM Jerzee Custom Knife Maker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Great Thread, I like how you do your scales. I can only speak for myself, But I really want you to fuck that dude up that hangs over your shoulder!:devilroll:

Shawn

4. M.Olexey

Don't you worry....he knows his role and has the scars to prove it

question: Hey shop dummy! What did the 5 fingers say to the face?

answer: SLAP!:hardslap:

that's his favorite riddle :ronl: :cool_notcool:

Pmlknives likes this.
  5. Paul Mathews

Paul Mathews knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I can't believe I'm just now getting around to reading this entire thread. Great WIP, Martin:jdsmokin:!

I can see I really need to update the tools in my shop. Damn, but I hate that chainsaw file.

M.Olexey and Pmlknives like this.
  6. Pmlknives

Pmlknives knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Martin,
    I had some catching up to do but I made it. Lots you got done while I wasn't looking! You are making it look too easy BTW. I like to grind my bevels before heat treat. Always cool to see how everyone is doing it. Keep it up!:firedevil
    Paul

M.Olexey likes this.
  7. M.Olexey

Been there buddy.... :devilzeek

This was my first time to grind post HT. I had always preground everything before but I really liked it. Nice not having to re-find the groove if you know what I mean.

Thanks guys.

mo

Centerfinger likes this.
  8. Centerfinger

Centerfinger George Clooney is a Spy

I learned a few things on this tutorial, much thanks. Drilling the tang holes for example, using vice grip clamp rather than a drill press vice. I have been drilling my holes in the stock before cutting out the shape, dohh.

9. M.Olexey

Cool. Yea I have a crappy drill press vice that usually causes me to screw stuff up. The vice grip clamp works real well for me. Nothing wrong with drilling the holes before you cut them out. Just another way to get to the same place.

mo

10. themicrotech

themicrotech ←The № 1 Texan→

Knife Education 101/2/3/4/5/6...................

Damn MO,
    I am now newly educated in the way knife making. This info should be put in to one continous thread by a MOD. As for the DUMMY! Well he deserves everything he gets! Can't stand a MF that just stands around watches all of the time! :gitchu:

11. M.Olexey

He does his one job well.....stress relief target.....poor bastard takes a lot of abuse.

I'm going to try to finish up with the sheath making process this week so stay tuned :jdspam:

mo

12. M.Olexey

Sheathmaking......

On to the kydex forming.....

I start out making the leather loop so I can dye it and have it be dry when I'm ready to fit it to the kydex.

Using a strap cutter I cut a strip of heavy (8-10oz) leather a little over 2" wide...

[​IMG]

Beveling the edges with the number 3 edger...

[​IMG]

Cutting the decorative groove with a stitching groover...

[​IMG]

Using the back of an old teklok I mark off three holes. This allows the loop to be removed and a teklok to be put on for different mounting options...

[​IMG]

Then I punch the holes out with a 1/4" hole punch...

[​IMG]

Finally I dye it black and hang it to dry while I form the kydex....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I place strips of masking tape on my cutting board 3 layers thick in one stack and 4 layers thick in the other. Then I trim them into two even length pieces.

[​IMG]

I stick these on either side of the knife then trim to the shape of the knife..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laying the knife on a sheet of kydex I draw a square around the knife. Lean towards cutting this bigger than you think you need. You can always trim off the excess after forming.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scoring the lines with a razor then breaking the piece out by hand...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kydex in the oven at 300 degrees and knife laying on the press ready for forming....

[​IMG]

Wrestle the knife into the press and chain it down to keep pressure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple minutes later I open it up to see if I got it right. This time I did....

[​IMG]

Using the same teklok back as earlier I mark the rivet holes in the sheath....

[​IMG]

Holes marked and rough shape I want drawn on the kydex.....

[​IMG]

Drilling the rivet holes with a size F bit.....

[​IMG]

Trimming the excess off on the bandsaw...

[​IMG]

Now to the KMG to smooth out the shape, first on the 120 grit, then 220 then a scotchbrite with some WD40 sprayed on it

[​IMG]

Next I chamfer the inside edges of the opening with the dremel...

[​IMG]

Then I smooth everything out by hand sanding with some fresh 600 grit paper...

[​IMG]

Blow it out with compressed air, wipe the inside with WD40 and blow it out again before riveting. I also use acetone to wipe off all the sharpee marks at this point....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riveting the sheath closed with the rivet press...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. M.Olexey

Kydex continued.....

Kydex Part 2

Using the heat gun, I heat the area where I want to form the push off ramp. When its formable I use the body of a sharpee marker to raise the ramp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I heat the throat of the sheath and use an piece of plastic (in this case the plastic leather folding tool) to open the mouth up a bit to aid in re-sheathing (gives it a funnel effect).....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checking the fit....

[​IMG]

after I get the fit right, I rub the edges with a cloth soaked in acetone then lightly wipe some WD40 on them for a nice smooth finish.

next I'll add the hybrid loop.....

14. M.Olexey

Hybrid leather loop.....

I install the threaded inserts into the holes I punched earlier by hammering them in....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could probably buy these but I use my hole punch dies to cut some rubber washers. These will go between the loop and the rivets in the sheath....

[​IMG]

Installing the strap on the kydex sheath...

[​IMG]

After wetting the strap a little I form it around the sheath...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I mark the end and the location of the snaps....

[​IMG]

and then I cut the end off with a belt tip cutter and a hammer.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

beveling the tip later I'll touch up the fresh cut end with some dye....

[​IMG]

Using the hand drill to drill holes for the snaps. I drill though the first layer enough to mark the second layer so my snaps will line up. Then I remove the strap from the sheath, finish drilling the holes and install the snaps....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, I rub a little neatsfoot oil into the leather and thread a belt through the strap and let it hang overnight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that pretty much finishes it. I finish the leather up with some neatlac and sharpen the knife and off it goes.

Thanks for following along and let me know if I need to be more clear on anything.

MO

potterma likes this.
  15. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

As always great step-by-step pics....nice work. :thumbsup:

M.Olexey likes this.
  16. Frstr8

Frstr8 First Rate JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Very kewl! The best step-by-step I have ever seen. You make it look so easy!

M.Olexey likes this.
  17. Ponchodrag

Ponchodrag Little member

Very nice work!!!!!! Now, I just need to put a order in. :madaddy:

M.Olexey likes this.
  18. M.Olexey

Thanks guys!

mo

19. IMUA

IMUA Little member

Most excellent thread, Brother. Great looking blade...wonder whose it is:madaddy:

Keep up the most awesome work.

V/R

IMUA

20. M.Olexey

I'll never tell...but I bet you can guess :decisions :devilinheaven: