1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

WIP- Complete Step by step--pgs 1-5 Knife and scales-- pg 7 sheathwork.. lots of pics

M.Olexey Jan 10, 2009

1. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

Got started on my next batch of knives today which includes two Pikal FOS, one Pikal FOS XL in O1 tool steel and 8 standard FOS, an HOS, and an FOS XL in CPM 154. Anyway it was a nice day cursing my bandsaw and the mill scale that is on CPM 154. That shit may be harder than diamonds.

a few pics...

The Pikals laid out on the O1 with a couple of G10 knives I'm working on...

[​IMG]

The FOS's laid out on the CPM 154...

[​IMG]

as you can see me and the bandsaw are about as precise as a dull chainsaw..

[​IMG]

But a little time at the KMG cleans them right up...

[​IMG]

A lot of time at the flat platen and the mill scale from hell is finally gone and we are ready to drill holes...

[​IMG]

more soon stay tuned,

mo

Jorge Banner likes this.
  2. Billy Stewart

Billy Stewart knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I love threads like this im ready for the next set of pics! Keep em comin buddy!!!:thumbsup:

3. Chris Daigle

Chris Daigle Half fast

Awwww, quit your bitchin'! That ain't fucking needlepoint! Steel is tough by nature. We don't need a whiney emo-thread to remind of this!

Edit: bad ass looking batch of knives bro. You get them heat treated locally?

Chris

4. Markous

Markous as a kite Brigade Member

Cool stuff

I like these w.i.p. updates it's very interesting to see how the raw materials come together to make your knives what they are, Friggin nice blades!!!

On the metal working part i hear ya!! i've worked with some exotic steels myself as a fitter and high alloy steels are by far the toughest to work with.

5. Str8ShooterEsq

Str8ShooterEsq Wartime Consigliere Brigade Member

Very cool.

6. six

six straight up pimp

I'm tuned in Br0!

7. Jorge Banner

Jorge Banner Down For Life

Me too! Me too! Me too! . . .

8. M.Olexey

Fuck it then! I'm taking up quilt making. This metal working shit is hell on my manicure :cadi: :thefinger

Really it might not have been so bad if my cheap ass didn't try to milk every last bit of life out of the 60 grit belts I was using. :ross:

I've been sending my D2 stuff to TKS so I thought I'd send these to them too. After talking to Brock this morning I'm gonna get the holes drilled, stamp them and put in the thumb serrations then send them out. So I'll lay in the bevels post heat treat. While they're out I'll knock out the O1 stuff or that's the plan anyway.

I'll use this thread to follow this batch to the end I can show each stage.
    More pics after drilling and stamping tomorrow.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

mo

infobound1 likes this.
  9. Semper708

Semper708 I know more about nothing than you ever will My Ass is on Probation

:semper: Can't wait to see more!!!!!

10. M.Olexey

Notice the "semper" scribbled on one?

11. M.Olexey

Makes me appreciate all the precision ground O1 and D2 :ross:

mo

12. Ken Brock

Ken Brock Who's Awesome? Super Moderator

oh man, I forgot to mention that 154 seems pretty tough on bandsaw blades...............................

13. SPLITSHOT

SPLITSHOT Paracord Pimp

Great post. i love watching your knives come together. :manganr:

14. M.Olexey

Yep. It did a number on a brand new Lennox blade :cheesydevil:

I thought I might have just pushed it too hard.

I see exactly why your experimenting with the surface grinder :bwah:

mo

15. Will

Will Zermeno Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Martin God hates an overachiever.

Post heat treat is the only way to go. Hey didn't I mention that already. Oh if Kens says it you will try it but if I mention it ya ignore me.

16. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

MOlex,

Checked out the previous threads and yes, your knives look right as rain - that said, if you want a leg up on the comp, IMO, keep showing the knives w/sheaths, and how they're carried, i.e. on the belt, etc. (you leftie you)...those types of photo shots, will, in effect, sell the knife to the public like me. They break from the norm, which in this market, is a good thing.

Shel

p.s. Put me down for a very smooth, completely radiused handle FOS combo sheath model if

17. PIC

PIC Unchained

those are going to turn out Great!!!:thumbsup:

Jack~:manganr:

18. Peter Lezard

Peter Lezard Hobbit of Fortune

Alright! Keeping busy in the new year I see...

19. Semper708

Semper708 I know more about nothing than you ever will My Ass is on Probation

:thumbsup:Yeb, first thing I noticed..........Thanks, can't wait! :semper:

20. M.Olexey

Alright got back at it today....pics below

Started out today center punching the holes in the blanks. I just eyeball the locations...nothing to technical...just try to keep in the center of the blank and a visually pleasing distance between the holes...
    [​IMG]

Drilled about 40 holes (4 each in 10 blanks) The CPM 154 drills pretty easily...
    [​IMG]

Then chamfered all the holes to remove the hard edge (great place for stress fractures)...
    [​IMG]

Holes all drilled (one for the lanyard hole, two for pins or screws, and one big one for epoxy flow through or in the case of screws....looks. So then I mark off the location of the thumb serrations..
    [​IMG]

I do the large serrations on the KMG with a .250" small wheel using the MAP arm to keep it all square...
    [​IMG]

For the smaller serrations like I use on the HOS, I start by scoring the spine with a die grinder (picked up from a Ken Brock step by step on another forum....yes Ron their used to be other forums :manganr: )
    [​IMG]

Then I lay in the serrations on a dremel shaper table with a 1/8th" carbide cutter.....
    [​IMG]

A shot of the two different kind of serrations...
    [​IMG]

Stamping....I have my stamp rigged into the end of the arbor press... I press the stamp to the blank then whack the top of the ram with a 4 llb hammer....beats whacking the shit out of my hand three out of five times when held manually....
    [​IMG]

Now back to the flat platen to clean up the flats and burrs from cutting the serrations, plus flatten the indention from stamping....first the 60 grit belt then a fresh 120...
    [​IMG]

Deburring all the sharp corners with the scotchbrite wheel....I dont know if it's necessary at this point but I've always done it....
    [​IMG]

Finally...I wash all the grit and grease off with soapy water and we have ten nice clean blanks ready to ship out for heat treat...
    [​IMG]

When these get back I'll pick this up where we left off.

Thanks for looking!

mo