1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Why Everyone - Desk Jockeys Included - Need a Beefy Folder

namor Jul 25, 2012

1. namor

namor Huge member

This is a true story.

It had started out as a typical, unremarkable day for the five guys in the elevator. They had gotten dressed and gone to work just like always. Four were in suits, as they worked in an office building, and one was in his work clothes as a window washer. None of them carried a knife to work, let alone a solid, tactical, 'bet-my-life-on-it' style folder, since they weren't in the door-kicking, take 'em down line of work.

But something happened, and now they were in the elevator together. And it was stopped on a floor that the elevator wasn't supposed to stop at - when they pried the doors open (using one of the window washers tools) they stared at a wall of sheet rock. Stripping the rubber out of one of his squeegees, they scored the sheetrock with the metal frame over and over, using a shoe to baton it, til they cut a hole in it. And found a second layer of sheet rock. They did it again, and again after that for a third layer. Now they were looking at the back of a bathroom's wall tiling, which they kicked a hole in. Escaping into the bathroom, they then ran down 50 flights of stairs and out into the daylight.

They had just gotten out of the North Tower of the WTC on 9/11.

If that window washer hadn't been in that car that morning with a makeshift tool to cut with, that would have been 4 more names added to the annual list that is read in downtown NYC. So, yeah, you can make fun of it all you want, or convince yourself that a plastic handled slippy with a .10" AUS 8 blade is all you need working in a sedate job. But I carry a knife everyday that is beefy and able to take more than I will need it for, because I'm not putting my trust into meeting a window washer when I need to open that door, or cut the sheetrock.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
  2. DirtyBlackSocks

DirtyBlackSocks Huge member

Where'd you get this story from, is it verified?

3. ster91b

ster91b Paloozster! Brigade Member

Sounds like they could have used a fixed blade or a sledgehammer.

4. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

That just goes to show you. Always carry a sledgehammer with you, for those extreme cases. Even if you are wearing a suit.

5. namor

namor Huge member

6. ster91b

As on point as a fantasy thread about using a overly priced underperforming folder to cut your way thru a wall.

Im just keeping with the asinine spirit of this thread.

7. namor

namor Huge member

You're the expert on asinine, so I can't argue with you on that.

I was 400 yards from that building when it collapsed, so fuck you if you think this stuff is fantasy.

Here's an example of the type knife I carry:

8. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Off the reservation

That's a nice knife... prolly one of the nicest Emerson ever conceived. The problem I have is toting a 'beefy' folder every day can get tiresome. The odds of me having to cut my way out of an elevator in a building that's just been bombed by terrorists is minimal. But it does give one a good feeling to have something sturdy on my person - just in case. That's why I always carry a small fixed blade in my satchel.

9. DirtyBlackSocks

DirtyBlackSocks Huge member

I think the point he was trying to make is that a folder is not the best knife to be betting your life on.

I'd go for a fixed blade, and even then getting one to cut through a wall would be tricky at best.

How about a Stanley Fubar in every elevator emergency stow in America? They're pretty much the go to tool for when SHTF.

But trusting a folder to do anything heavy duty like THAT is stacking the odds in favor of the grim reaper if you ask me. I'd rather carry a concealed necker or something along those lines. Skeletonized handles, thin profile so it doesn't show up when properly hidden...hell even a thin fixed blade with an inside the belt carry option would be a better idea.

Just my two cents, but I wasn't 400 yards away from the Twin Towers so what do I know. :thumbsup:

An interesting story...

I know a guy who used a KaBar as a wedge point to rapell down a pretty steep cliff in Afghanistan, that's about the only story I have of a knife being used for something it was never intended for, though.

Unless you want to count me throwing a dagger with the label "Texas Toothpick" on the blade at a tree that I found as a kid, but I swear 1 time out of 20 it actually stuck.

10. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Off the reservation

That's how I roll, with this Crawford Legionnaire, its very much that:

[​IMG]

Parker likes this.
  11. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I'd rather carry a prybar and a sledgehammer than a beefy knife in that situation. You know, the right tool for the job and all.

It was awesome that they improvised like that. You can't always be prepared with the right tool for every situation you encounter, but improvisation can save your life.

I carry a beefy folder, but I'm under no delusions that its going to be used in such extreme circumstances.

12. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

why waste time cutting the sheetrock?
    kick a hole in that shit and be done with it.

13. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

But them we would not have a story here and a way to bad mouth office jockeys.
    I worked in corporate america wearing a suit and i had always a knife with me and other guys did , not everyone but some did, don't be fool by the suit.

14. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

Does this mean you are a fool in a suit?:bwah::manganr::bwah:

15. ster91b

Funny story Thats actually the same knife I carry. And if you think a Emerson is going to stand up to batoning you are really misinformed about that knife company. (and I like emerson)

16. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Overall, A+ for thread content. :bow: :clap: Very cool story, indeed.

Never forget!:911: :remember911:

17. ster91b

Your right Boss it is a great story. One of many great stories from that day that shines on people's ability to improvise adapt and overcome using little more than the sheer will to live. Thats what we should focus on here not fantasies about what we would do with a knife if we were there.

That man with the red bandanna did more on that day with just his hanky and guts than most of us will ever do with any knife.

stdlrf11 likes this.