1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Why do we call counterfeits by other names?

CharlesKnife Jan 10, 2019

1. CharlesKnife

CharlesKnife Little Member

Serious question. Why aren’t we calling out these copies from China and other places the stronger name counterfeit? Aren’t they trying to duplicate the original knives in such a way that we can’t tell them apart from the “real knives”?

Looking forward to your discussion guys.

2. 1986mpv

1986mpv JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm not sure what discussion you expect, honestly. We call them counterfeits, copies, clones, fakes, Cheap Chinese Crap, on and on. There's nothing euphemistic about any of these terms, nor any attempt on the part of the community to downplay or sugarcoat them, and members here have posted extensively here and elsewhere about ways to differentiate the real from the fake. I think we're doing as well as we can.

apdallaround, Linos, Lapedog and 3 others like this.
  3. CharlesKnife

CharlesKnife Little Member

Well apparently there isn't much interest in the discussion. Just seemed strange to me that the word counterfeit isn't typically used across the internet communities. To me there is a distinct difference. For instance a replica of a product is a copy but it's not a fake. However if a replica is passed off as the original, then it is a counterfeit. Well this was just a curiosity of mine. Different terms are used across different industries, but perhaps there was a reason why so I asked.

4. 1986mpv

1986mpv JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I think it's just that nobody cares to (or realistically could) coordinate consistent terminology across the various balisong-related fora.

Balibuyer and CharlesKnife like this.
  5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Forgetaboutit….

apdallaround and CharlesKnife like this.
  6. old dog

old dog Little member

Why??? That's easy ... guilt. Consistently calling them counterfeits makes it clear that anyone buying them is essentially cheating the owners and workers of Microtech, Spyderco, BRS, Extrema Ratio and others.

CharlesKnife likes this.