1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Who's a Lucky Devil?

El Gringo Sep 5, 2016

1. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Who here actually likes their job? More of curiosity than a complaint...although Yes I'll whine... I'm 51 and just can't see myself droning thru another 15 years at a valve warehouse... but the odds are that I will.

Is there anyone that likes what they do for a living?

nostimos likes this.
  2. straighttokin

straighttokin JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I like what I do. I am a foreman at a waterproofing and foundation repair company in pa. I really enjoy doing push peirs over anything else. Unfortunately it's hard work for not as much pay as I would like but always opportunities to make sales which isn't very often. But for the most part I do like what I do just don't see me doing it forever.

desmodus and nostimos like this.
  3. aperdue

aperdue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I love what I do. I don't make shit as a firefighter, but its a great job.

nostimos likes this.
  4. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I'm retired and loving it. The pay isn't so great but you can't beat not having to get up at 6am & driving into work. :jdwink2:

nostimos likes this.
  5. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

I like my job.

I fix hospital equipment for a decent sized hospital in Harrisburg.

Something new every day.

However massively underpaid with horrible workplace politics.

Being on-call sucks. I can't tell you how many times i've been called at 2am because of some serious issue(typically telemetry system related). They throw information at you like you're sitting there waiting for the call with pen and paper.

I'm 34 and the 30+ years till retirement seems forever away. I do put money in a fund hoping it will amount to something by the time i'm ready.:thumbsup:

nostimos likes this.
  6. 1986mpv

1986mpv JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

My job is okay. I'm not designing the kind of building I want to, but it's still a fun gig and keeps my skills with Cad and 3ds Max up to snuff.

My only issue is that consultants are something of a parasite class. We give people so many choices that we slow down their decision-making and trap them in a fruitless quest for the perfect solution. Then they come back to us and ask for more options.

I often find myself screaming inside my own head "will you people just fucking make a decision. I'll be dead before the things I design break ground."

nostimos likes this.
  7. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

I work in a hotel, it's a no name brand. I clean the rooms, work I the office when needed. I am also a manager here. It's easy to spot the druggies, there's always something they forget. Copper particles, or just the top off of syringes. I have seen needles under mattresess, in the beds. I have learnt who the 'working girls' are. Once you become knowledgeable you kick them out and never rent to them again.

I used to have a fear of confronting the lowlife, not any more. Any shit, out they go. My priority is to keep a happy and peaceful environment for the guests.

Now I am waiting out my time to retire at least semi retire.

I've had more jobs than I care to think about, but at 60 that's ok. I am glad I never had a one job for life. It's been very interesting along the way. No time for boredom.

My goal once I have the time is to go back to working the fleamarket again. Scott and I had a blast with it. I don't see any knife dealers with the kind of inventory we had. It's a time I loved the most. Scott has been gone for more than four years, I think I can do it again. I think he would approve.
    Rosie

sam eib, begreen61 and nostimos like this.
  8. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I'm happy, I guess.

I don't talk about what I do, but I'm now at the point I've become an instructor in my field. Teaching new employees the ways of the job.

Just got promoted to the 2nd highest instructor. My boss is former military, and a real stick in the mud for regulations, but one hell of a good leader. That's what I'm thankful for.

Making good money, considering the field I'm in doesn't pay well. Being the only income earner, that's important.

The only thing that kills me is the 30 years till retirement.

The benefits are fantastic. I'd have to work hard at getting fired. Just, shit, thirty goddamn years doing the same fucking job....

nostimos likes this.
  9. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo Stoned Adventurer Brigade Member

I'm a "Software Test Engineer III" which means I code automation scripts for a big company that tests to make sure their new client-facing code actually works. I actually interned with this company in my last year of college and 4 years, a lot of learning on the job and a few promotions, here I am still.

Now, I would actually hate my job if I still worked in the office. I luckily after 2 years was able to start working from home and move away. I have to work at some weird hours but for the most part it really fits my lifestyle. I have come to learn that I don't want to spend my life doing computer programming, it's very boring to me and I try to spend the rest of my free time either outside with my dog, shooting, tinkering with projects. I've really been enjoying getting new guns, replacing the parts on them, taking them apart and putting them back together. Learning all about different knife steels and sharpening angles... I really feel like I should have studied some kind of engineering. I'm trying to use my free time now to figure out what I really want to do for the rest of my life because I know it's not computer programming, and I'm still young (27 in November). Learning new skills takes time and money and dedication though, so it's hard to really jump into something.

EDIT: I have pretty much decided to ride this work from home opportunity out for as long as possible, try not to go too crazy on the spending while I'm making a decent living, and then take a paycut to do something I actually love. I really respect dudes like aperdue who serve the community, loving what they do and really not getting paid enough for it. Being a guy who always like to concealed carry for my own but also general safety, I've been thinking maybe a career as a LEO might suit me. Not sure I'd be able to walk the blue line though. Really don't know enough about it to be commenting, but it has been coming across my mind recently and I think I'm still young enough. Could be an interesting career... I just don't wanna sit in a desk or a warehouse wasting away, as op mentioned. I want a job that'll get me outside, meeting people, helping people, doing things, fixing things or problems, making something physical instead of pointless computer code that no one will ever know about. /ramble

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
    nostimos and stdlrf11 like this.
  10. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

I graduated with a biology degree but somehow ended up being an archaeologist. So can't complain much i guess. Although I do prefer studying live things rather than rocks and rocks and rocks.

"That is a nice boulder" - Donkey

nostimos and ded i like this.
  11. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i love my job, but i don't believe i'm capable of doing until i retire.

i climb trees.

removals, pruning, storm damage, preventative maintenance, restoration, mutilation, etc.

i also climb recreationally as well.

i'm to the point now where i occasionally hurt in places for no damned reason (injury or overexertion).

don't tell anybody but there are days i would happily take a pay cut if it meant keeping my job.

HedaCoon, nostimos and ded i like this.
  12. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I actually enjoy doing plumbing.....even though I can't believe I said that...

nostimos and ded i like this.
  13. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

I love my job!

I like getting up in the morning, drinking coffee in my studio which is just a converted room in my house. I look at what needs to be done then I take a short bike ride, then I go swimming, then I come back and work. :thumbsup:

I paint sexy lady paintings. I also paint traditional portraits. I enjoy both. I painted this girl for a show in April. :artgallery:
    SexySmall.jpg
    [​IMG]

A child's portrait in progress. :artist:

pria end before signatureJD.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    perado, sam eib, HedaCoon and 6 others like this.
  14. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Bump... cause of my post about taking a pay cut. They kinda go together.

begreen61, nostimos, stdlrf11 and 2 others like this.
  15. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Dedi has the best job. Just hope it pays.

I'm a the-rapist and I love doing it but hate the hospitals. State hospitals you get the worst of the worst, for 1/3 less money, private hospitals you get better peeps, more pay but admins that want you to confabulate facts aka lie your ass off. I.e. Insurance pays 3 more days, guess what patient is still sick. Insurance is outta days, guess what your better.

ded i, crogers and nostimos like this.
  16. Brian_W204

Brian_W204 Enormous member

I definitely don't currently like my job. I've been at the same company for 23 years. I liked most of it, but 2001-2003 were miserable years, and from 2012 until now have been pretty bad. The company is in its 4th year of annual layoffs and it has become obvious they are targeting older employees. They make up new rules every year to fire employees based on performance, and they try to buy out the employees they can't fire with early retirement packages. Last year, they even started making up new rules for offering buyouts to try make it available to more older employees. I've watched most of my friends and all of my mentors either get walked out or say "fuck it" and take a buy-out. If things continue down the same path, I expect to be in the situation within 3 years. It's hard to like a job in that environment, but you know what they say about "the devil you know..."

El Gringo, stdlrf11 and crogers like this.
  17. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Ain't that the truth! It is getting harder to trust medical care.

As for my painting ... I've been lucky. Portraits are good because not many people can do them and they are painted by commission - so basically the painting is sold before you paint it.

It is very difficult to make a living painting, I've taught at times and held other jobs.

BennytheBlade, crogers and Kelper like this.
  18. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

That's beautiful. I can't do any of that but I'm a fan of just aimlessly browsing deviantart and now ig of artists. Just calming somehow. Awesome job!

ded i likes this.
  19. sam eib

sam eib Average Member

I worked in factories for 42 years and helped my dad and brother part time in the concrete business. I quit working one year ago tomorro because my 6 year old son started school and I was a second shifter. Living on my savings and getting a little assistance. I've had 6 operations in the last 6 years and filed for disability. Raising my son at this age is the hardest job I've had but it's the only job I've ever liked! If your wondering his mom is 31 years younger than me, I took custody because his mom couldn't keep out of jail, she is bipolar, or demon possed not sure which. I'm stressing to him early, never believe a girl that tells you she can't get pregnant!!!!!!!

stdlrf11, ded i and begreen61 like this.
  20. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

:clap:Bravo Girl you really have talent .The detail is awesome .Thanks for sharing .

crogers and ded i like this.