1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Who needs some steel?

Aldo Oct 19, 2011

1. S.Shepherd

S.Shepherd knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

nothing.....you have a terrible user name:bwah:

2. Aldo

Aldo NJ Steel Baron Knife Maker or Craftsman

The first one sure looks like Aogami Super and the 2nd one should be either CPM S35VN or ASP2055 which is a similar steel made in France.

I would love to bring in the Super. All we need to do now is come up with enough sales to sell 8 metric ton and we're in!!!!

Cowry Y has 3% Carbon (which sounds more like cast iron and is probably damn brittle, but I'm told it kicks ass!)

3. rscheppmann

rscheppmann Diabolus ex Occasus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Got my order in today... Thanks for the steal... I mean steel:manganr: You're the man, Aldo!

4. S.Shepherd

the top is super blue

the bottom is supposed to be cowry-y

i think cowry-y would be aesome for strictly slicing knives

5. Aldo

Sean, I haven't found much on Cowry Y, but I heard that if you sharpen it right it sticks in the cutting board after you cut through the food!

Robert, Don't rub it in!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  6. S.Shepherd

:thumbsup:

7. Daniel Fairly

Daniel Fairly knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thanks again Aldo! I ordered some new steels this time - D2, CPM3V and 52100, along with some 5160 and 1084. it's gonna be fun!

8. Ronlad

Ronlad Vox Diabolus Administrator

Nice (random) selection, this should be cool to watch! :devilzeek

9. Daniel Fairly

Yes, all for orders. 90% of my knives are 5160 or O1. There will be plenty of testing to do! I think I will start using more 52100 for my smaller knives if I like it.

10. Aldo

Dan,

That is a wise move. I think 52100 is the most under rated steel we have. It's heat treat is easier then most think and if you want to get the most out of it, it response to cryo very well.

This is a "TOOL" I use around the house. We got hit with a snow storm last week. I cut up a cords worth of branches with it this past weekend. The blade was soaked for 10 minutes and quenched in Parks 50 and tempered at 425. It's still holding a nice edge. 52100ChopperEasyHT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
  11. Daniel Fairly

Thanks Aldo I will try that. I got my steel in and it looks great! :thumbsup:

I just had a customer tell me he has been making all kinds of stuff with a 1084 bushcraft knife I made for him with your steel and it is still shaving sharp! I think the 1084 is another underrated steel, I'm very impressed.

Nice knife!

12. Komitadjie

Komitadjie Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

Aldo, not quite a legendary necro on this thread, only been dead a few months. :D I'm just getting started out with my first knife. You seem to be THE steel guy, so: I need a steel that is easy for a first-timer to grind, and is common enough that I'll be able to send it out for heat-treat without the vendor going "WTF is THAT stuff?"

I'm planning a full-exposed-tang blade perhaps 6" OAL to start with, so something a tad over .125 thick by 1.5 wide?

What say you for the newbie, as far as alloy, etc?

13. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

You may want to try 1084, it is very simple to heat treat, and is also very forgiving. Also 5160, same applies for that except even more forgiving.

14. Komitadjie

I've had suggestions of 5160 before, actually, and from what I've read it's a good starter metal both in ease of working and price.

Is that something I should be bothering Aldo for, or just snag some from a generic knife-making source?

Do you do small orders of generic steels, Aldo, or just the more exotic alloys?

15. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

Give Aldo a call, he has all kinds of pieces.
    Office: (973) 949-4140

Mike

16. Komitadjie

Sweet, thanks Mike! I'll give him a ring right after work today. I've already got myself some coarse-grit belts for my Kalamazoo and some halfway decent-looking scale wood picked out so I think I'm just some steel away from mangling my first knife project! :manganr:

17. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

Start out with a BIG drawing on your steel, way bigger than you plan to actually make, then grind away all your mistakes. That should probably get you the size knife you wanted to begin with.:bwah: Been there, still there.

18. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

Aldo just dropped off another 2300 pounds of steel for me yesterday.

A mix of A-2 - 154CM and CPM154.

It is a good start for this year

19. Komitadjie

Ooooo... that's a lotta Barkies right there. :manganr:

I'm actually already more or less settled on my first DESIGN, anyway. I think I am going to start with a profile that is already comfortable in my hand (Northstar Companion), except that I'm going to attempt to grind the blade as a Wharncliffe instead of a spear point. Haven't decided on scales just yet, but I think some of the little bits of walnut scrap I have laying here will do the job just fine. :)

20. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

Good luck with that, enjoy it, it's a kick.

Mike