1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Who is our resident antique gun expert? (Need help w/appraisal)

AJD1 Sep 15, 2016

1. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

I 'm curious as to what this below referenced pistol might be worth and appreciate any intelligent responses.

My 89 year old uncle made his way into a nursing home back about 11 months ago and i'm in charge of fun things like filing the Medicaid paperwork,selling his home and earthly belongings etc.

He has a very extensive gun collection of which is mostly stuff from the 60's- 70's-80's ..

I pretty much know what to do with all that stuff, but it is this 1 pistola,that i've no clue how to value,outside of hopping around the internet,where i can find a couple,albeit already sold in the $2000-3000 range,but most i've found selling in that range,look all beat up,rusted and some are even non-operative.

This one i have is i guess what is considered "mint condition" given you can see the handles are mint as is the steel and inner workings plus it has a nice patina.

I remember as a kid,in the late 60's,when i was 7 or 8,he and I would head into the woods in N.H.,for my weekly hunt of Rabbits,Squirrels and the like and he would bring this for me once in a while, as besides the .22 Rifle i carried back then,i also got to carry this,as it fired 22's and didn't have a big kick,which despite only firing it a few times,it was really cool and somewhat accurate.

Fast forward 40 years and the gun hasn't been fired in about that long but still sits inside a display chest in perfect condition so to speak and is about to get sold with a crop of other things that will be used towards the monthly $12400 nut it cost to feed him hot dogs and beans 7 days a week at the "home" in which he now resides.

My cousin is the president of our 11000+ member gun club here and wants me to post a "for sale" sign at the club,as we have a board we all use for selling guns to one another,but before hand i'd like to get a real good estimate as to what it might be worth.

He seems to think,based on its' condition,history and fact it is so rare,that someone may pay in the $3500 arena for it but we shall see.

The action is very smooth while cocking it back and no doubt,,despite not being fired in over 40 years,it works perfectly and has been kept inside a chest for decades as he purchased it from a dealer in N.H. back in 1973.

It is a Smith & Wesson antique Army revolver,with beautiful grips and bore and very rare factory silver plating,all of which is ridiculously mint for a 100+ year old weapon..

There weren't too many made in this barrel length,as opposed to the longer barrels of which apparently were made more of back in the plant in Springfield Mass.

I found this bit of information about the gun and found it quite interesting a definitely was a cool part of American history.

"This is an early Smith and Wesson Revolver with the small Model 1-sized frame in .22 caliber. The Model 1 was S&W's first revolver and the world's first successful cartridge weapon. The 1st Issue was manufactured from 1857-60, followed by a 2nd Issue from 1860-68, and a 3rd Issue from 1868-1881. This particular example is a 2nd Issue which had strong sales during the Civil War to Union soldiers who used them as personal carry weapons. Perhaps the most famous owner of this model was Mark Twain who once humorously wrote during a trip out West about being "armed to the teeth with this little seven-shooter". The serial number dates its production towards the front half of 1865 as the Civil War was coming to a close. Standard 3-1/4" octagonal barrel, seven-shot cylinder, with silver plated frame, and rosewood grips. Cylinder has the 1855 Rollin White patent with 1859 and 1860 improvements which is correct for the 2nd Issue. Barrel is marked on the top rib"

I'm curious,if anyone here has any clue what i should value it at or knows anyone who could value it so i have a good idea of what to put as a price for it.

Thanks in advance for any help..:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2016
  2. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

3. BowtownBlade

BowtownBlade Brigade Member Brigade Member

Not sure if these guy will give you a appraisal. They are one of if not the largest and best at selling the older firearms such as the one you have.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/

4. AJD1

Thanks gentlemen,i'm glad i asked and will give these avenues a try..

5. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

Items like this do not have a stasis value. It changes constantly with collectors driving the price. I would think about getting a good idea of approximate value and then maybe auction it off with that as a reserve. An auction would also expose it to more potential buyers.

Beautiful piece.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/smith-wesson/

6. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Not!

They are the worst. Just because they have a lot of gun auctions does not make them experts. Even when shown that a gun they've listed for sale is a hump job they often times ignore the warning.

Mike Grasso has the right idea; you could also check "finished" auctions on GunBroker. Not the ones for sale but the actual sold items.

7. Rhonda

Rhonda knife diva Lady Devil Brigade Member

8. AJD1

Thank you my dear,i'm going to give them a whirl and thanks to the rest of you for your help...:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  9. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo Stoned Adventurer Brigade Member

Sorry I don't have anything to add in terms of help but I'd like to add some smoke and prayers for your uncle and Family. Great job stepping up to take care of the unpleasantries. That gun is beautiful and I love the patina it has developed over time.

-Jim

AJD1 likes this.
  10. AJD1

Thanks man,i appreciate it.

My aunt,his wife of 59 years,was also there with him, as i had them placed there together,but she past a couple months ago and it is pretty sad as he would prefer joining her at this point as he feels he has nothing here to "live for"..Just sucks..

crogers and PNWJimbo like this.
  11. AJD1

Thanks for this link as it ended up getting me to a couple buyers in the 2k arena,(despite showing these sell over $6K),but not close enough..Anyone here want her??:ropeman: