1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your favorite Short Combo?

laughingbuddha Nov 17, 2012

1. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Have you got a favorite short combo or move that you do?

I have, I've got several combo's that I find myself doing more than others because they feel awesome to do. If I'm just chilling, listening to music, flipping and not worried about trying new stuff I resort to the same combo's which flow well and just feel nice to do.

This is one of them. Its not super hard, its just an underhand Y2K - Hellbent - Thumb chaplin. Try it, you may like it!

[video=youtube;oLelBMI-3HU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLelBMI-3HU[/video]

What are 'go to' combo's? post em up, lets see them!

tx101 likes this.
  2. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

Sorry no vid but....off the bite handle, cherrypicker to short stop to thumb rollover. :thumbsup:

3. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

A triple back flip, into a half pike. :thumbsup:

4. Slaysur

Slaysur Huge member

That is one sweet combo! I want to get the cherrypicker/hell variations down so bad, they just look awesome!

5. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Sick vid LB. Awesome.:thumbsup:

6. laughingbuddha

How do you get into the thumb roll over from the shortstop? The only way I can think is by over rotating the ice-pick "aerial" of the shortstop, like what fke does a lot. Im not very good at them but will give it a go.

7. laughingbuddha

vid or gtfo :bwah:

8. wcjohn

At the end of the short stop you're dagger down. From there drop the forward handle which should be the safe, rotating your wrist in and up (clockwise for rightys) so your palm faces up, and rolling the safe handle around the thumb bringing it back into a blade up open position. Or doing a wrist pass at the end if you want or must. Does that sound right?

9. laughingbuddha

Ah! of course, that does make sense:thumbsup:

wcjohn likes this.
  10. wcjohn

Sweet! I meant to say ice pick as opposed to dagger down. Can't keep up with all the hip hop lingo. :manganr:

Next, off the safe handle Sinisters roll but after the first move, opening to catching the bite between index and middle, rotate/swing the safe handle counterclockwise (for rightys) over the top of your hand catching it between the middle and ring finger. From there continue the momentum and snap a quick horizontal thumb chaplin to thumb rollover....into oblivion. :thumbsup:

Those are two I love to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  11. wcjohn

The y2k to hellbent to chaplin is swheet! Honestly the hardest part for me in that combo is the flow between the y2k and hellbent. I've always had issues with that move. Or it has issues with me. I'm instead doing a quick opt out and going immediately into the hellbent from the y2k by catching it down and with only the ring and pinky finger. Though I prefer to do a quick index rollover to get to the y2k first and finish with a quick thumb rollover after one rotation of the chaplin. If I keep the chaplin going I have a hard time transitioning out. Any pointers?

12. worthless

worthless worthless? Nah!

My favorite combo is the meat jun with hot chicken.

[​IMG]

13. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Damn that looks good!!

14. laughingbuddha

I think I followed all of that:bwah:

As for transitioning from the Y2k into the hellbent, that bit can be hard to get smooth. The trick is getting used to catching the handle with just the ring and little fingers (leaving the middle finger free). Most people learn to helix first, so they get used to catching with the middle fingers down (leaving the index free), so when you try to move onto the hellbent or cherry picker it feels unnatural.

I'd suggest that whenever you practice the helix forget about doing it around the index finger, but do it around the middle finger instead. You will get used to catching with ring and pinky fingers, and your middle finger will naturally go where it's supposed to. It's exactly the same move but without the scoop around your index finger of the hellbent.

I also hate just doing a straight Y2K, it feels to linear. Give the underhand Y2k a go... it's sooo much better and gives more momentum into the following move.

15. Beanmonster

Beanmonster Little member

That underhand y2k is really cool, never thought of doing it that way... Thanks for the sweet combo! :thumbsup:

16. TheBombGamerTag

TheBombGamerTag BrokenBlades

One of my favorite is "Y2K-Helix-Cherry Picker-Ariel-Chaplin."

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  17. SonicDaEdgehog

SonicDaEdgehog Huge member

First off, i already owe y'all the tutorial vid for the Gunslinger- it is done- as well as a quick vid of my favorite short combo. Both are ready to upload and i created a youtube account in prep. All i am waiting for is the damn cable that plugs into da comp. Wally world didnt have it - i am not sure what other stores would other than Target...
    Anyways my favorite combo (the one i did for the vid) is half twirl- to a y2k - immediately into another half twirl - y2k- (with bite handle) basic ariel - single flip rotation leading into the Gunslinger (in open icepick position) - underhand closing -immediately jumping to a ?underhand/backhand? ariel catching in open position- the end.
    I know the double over y2k alternating handles is kinda repetitious... but again my flipping style is geared more into the oldskool style. It is my favorite combo and is the same combo that blew my ol' man's mind. My pops thought it looked pretty sweet (he is waaaaaay old skool though, lol)
    I promise the vids as soon as possible bro's:thumbsup:

18. Nardath

Nardath Nard Wrath

There are so many fun little combos like that, its really hard to pin point my favorite. When ur at our level, its all about little combos like that, that's what kinda makes up your style. Combos that dont really deserves a name or you cant really describe it. Thats what flipping is all about, discovering stuff on your own, understanding the physics and dynamics of the movement of the Bali. And all that is all individual. Everyone will have different ways to do tricks and different favorite tricks, everyone has different flipping personalities, like someone's character. Anyways im rambling, keep em flipping like my mentor says.

19. slashncut

slashncut JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Shortstop + that scissor thing I once made a tutorial of:
    (around 2:45)
    [video=youtube;pauHCeT7rUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pauHCeT7rUA&feature=plcp[/video]

20. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

DAMN, that would be mine too!

worthless likes this.