1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What's With eBay And All Chinese Copies

Per-Sev Apr 22, 2013

1. Per-Sev

Per-Sev Perforate & Sever

I have never spent much time on eBay but I register the other day and was posting some items for sale and I was looking at the knives and saw what I though was a good deal on a Buck Mayo knife till I realized it was a Chinese copy then I started looking a little closer and I could not believe all the Chinese crap that was on there and they were stamped with the manufacture logos and they even had the boxes made to look real. I find this very sad that they can get away with this and just because there in another country they think they can get away with it. Is eBay that hard up for money that they allow out right fakes to be posted for sale there just because they say that they make them in China in there posting they are still using the name and logos of the original makers and to me that should not be allowed to be posted there. If they can't sell them on eBay maybe that would stop some of these knock off company's from doing this at least they would not be as easy to get and maybe cheat someone that does not know the difference.

2. hot.soapy

hot.soapy Hot and Soapy Devil

yes.

3. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

your run-on sentences border on the incoherent soapy.

4. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

They take their money where they can.

No respect for Buyers,

and at the same time,

No respect for Sellers that are trying to do legit business. Fees just apply.

I predict a Quickening, of sorts.

5. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Aspiring Cyborg

I used to be one of those "where's the harm in it?" guys when it came to knockoffs... But that was before I found how many of them are using manufacturer markings, and how many are up on eBay as the real thing.

There's a guy who keeps posting "Hinderers" for 100 bucks, and I report him every damn time. The only hint that it's not the real thing (other than the price) is that he puts "rep" in the description. Once. That shit is insufficient.

I'm still cool with Enlan/SanRenMu, though. They don't try to pretend they're the brands they imitate. The keep imitating Mantis knives, though, which is a pretty dumb set of designs to copy.

6. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

China is been the country to make knockoffs, making money is the only aim, they laugh at us and our "respect", if we care we should stop buying them, I guess some people don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a strider or hinderer...

7. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

:tardrule: ....the kicker is they threw the book at me the other day for having in my header
    Kydex **sheath only*** for Benchmade 62 folding knife
    they said since is not made by BM i can not have the name Benchmade in my title...they could not explain to me how i supose to sell an item made FOR a benchmade knife if i don't say what brand of a knife it is for in the header....
    oh and they do not allow me to post pics of the balisongs in the sheaths...they believe i am seling $200 and up knives for $16 :facepalm:

8. shakie

shakie knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Don't forget who just about owns this country...............

9. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

:heehee:
    Dude that cracked me up.
    But seriously, eBay has gotten so big its just too hard for them to police everything to a "T".
    If it really leaves sand in your ass you can email eBay. They may take down a couple but they'll never get them all.
    iOffer is even worse. They straight up tell you the stuff is fake.

10. GDOK

GDOK knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

thing is, they police the outright illegal stuff first (anything within the "war on ____" categories), then the stuff that is against the law, then the stuff that gets on people's nerves.

It's quite often the trademark isn't registered internationally, and eve if it is, there are hundreds of thousands of potential infringements, so if you want the copies gone, you need leverage.

If a maker sends in a claim to eBay saying they'll cut ties with all eBay sellers, they'll feel some real pressure to start cutting off listings or sellers.

Alternatively, any large knife authority pledging to boycott the site in response to the fakes would certainly do the trick.

11. Antonio_Luiz

Antonio_Luiz Huge member

What pees me off is that our Customs (Oz) allows container loads of knockoffs to come into the country (provided the importer pays Duty) but try and import a genuine and they'll confiscate it