1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Whats' eating up our neighborhood cats??

AJD1 Sep 28, 2011

1. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

It is probably more important to tell Tank Buster that he is right and the rest of us are wrong.

We can leave it at that.

2. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I just wonder if Tank Buster feels the same way about ants, roaches, mice, rats... see where this is leading to?

Tank Buster likes this.
  3. Mike Stewart

Back on topic - House Cats & Dogs are usually eaten by whatever predator that has outstripped it's natural food source.

It can be Coyote - Puma - Black Bears - Alligators - The problem will depend on the individual location.

Loss of habitat of the prey is usually the issue or lack of controlled hunting.

The Puma attacks in California are a good example of what can happen when you stop the hunting of a species that has been controlled by hunting in the past.

California went from zero human attacks to about a dozen in less than two years of halting the hunting of Pumas.

No-Till farming is another contributing factor - Small farmers are now forced to farm every square inch of land they have to survive and to compete with large company Farms.

This practice of No-Till farming has destroyed the habitat of most game birds who are the natural prey of Coyotes - Martins - Bobcats and other small omnivores.

This destruction of natural habitat reduces the numbers of these prey birds and forces the natural predators to expand their range and take cats and dogs.

The answers are usually designating and restoring habitat to re-balance the predator/prey ratio and combine that with controlled hunting to keep that balance so that all of the species not only survive but Flourish.

Not Rocket Science but it does take some doing to get it done.

Mike

4. Mike Stewart

I did want to add that in My experience it would be very unlikely to be a fox.

They are very shy and not usually bold enough to get too close to houses.

I'm not totally ruling it out but it would be about my last choice of a problem animal.

5. Tank Buster

Tank Buster Rattlehead Devil

Not all hunters eat what they kill, another false statement.

I have never asked you not to hunt. I simply asked you what pursues you to hunt.

Who said I am trying to prevent hunting? Do you see me trying to get petitions signed to abolish hunting?

Yes.

Not at all

Yes, it is.

Hunters can go to their local store and pick up dinner if they wish, unless they are dirt poor or live deep in the wilderness were civilization is not present. They do it because they ENJOY going out and killing their local wildlife. I guess that is what they call a "sport". If they did not enjoy what they do, why not just head to the store to get some food? A hunting trip can be very expensive. They could save much more simply by shopping at the supermarket. So, why do they have to go out and shoot animals?

Of course they were but what can I do about it? It's a huge business that prevents a majority of the world's population from starving.

I'm not being a hypocrite. I am aware of what I eat, where it comes from, and how it's killed. I am stating my disapproval of hunting animals for sport. If it is necessary to kill an animal yourself for food, maybe if you are in a survival situation that is fine by me and I would not hesitate to do it myself. But if you are going to go shoot animals for fun then that is where my disapproval comes in. Of course that shouldn't mean anything to you. It is simply an opinion of mine.

Aren't you a tough guy? Yes, I am aware of the dangers and aggressiveness of Boars, and yes I can kill one with a knife if I desired. Why should I though? I have no reason to. If one was attacking me or someone else I would not hesitate to go into defense mode and do whatever it takes to stop the animal.

Haha! Not likely.

6. Tank Buster

Tank Buster Rattlehead Devil

I am not looking to be the right one in this thread, nor do I think you are wrong in everything you say.

You approached me in a way as if if you were trying to belittle me like you have done to several of my posts. To be frank I'm sick of it. All of those times I have just tried to keep quiet, let it go, and be nice to you. Yet you keep coming back trying to bash me, as if you follow me around the forums and immediately strike every time I say something that you do not agree with.

Whatever though, I don't want OnlyNewKnives' thread to turn into a shit fest. This will be my last post in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011
    Clydetz likes this.
  7. Mike Stewart

Dude - We already agree that you are right - let it go back on topic.

That looked like a lot of work for you to parse up my post and take each line out of context -

You probably need the time to scare away some Coyotes from your undiggable and unclimbable fence.

If you don't mind - we'll let this go back on topic about what is eating the Cats and Dogs.

As Gary said - nobody is going to change anyone's mind here so I'll just stick to the Facts on what happens to domestic cats and dogs.

We can leave the PETA and Moral Issues to you to sort out.

I don't need any help with it.

8. Mike Stewart

If you really think you are important enough to me to follow you around the forum you are delusional - I post in threads that interest me or I feel are posting stuff that is not true or on target.

You - certainly - are not in all of these. Me disagreeing with you on this has nothing to do with following you around.

I really have better things to do than follow you around.

9. 321sold.biz

321sold.biz Better than gold or platinum

I think ALF liked to eat cats!

Just noticed nobody pointed that out:devilscribbled::devilscribbled:

Fuck PETA, they spray painted my back thinking it was a fur coat!:deviltard:

Clydetz likes this.
  10. S.Shepherd

S.Shepherd knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

well, pets should be kept in their owners yards- dogs or cats. I don't agree with letting any domestic pet run loose.
    that said;
    [​IMG]

Oh, about hunting. Mike, I agree with you 100% How dare someone tell me what I "need" or "should" do. And don't try to redefine something as a "sport" just to make you feel better about demonizing something that's a way of life .

11. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

Yikes!!

Looks like this thread took on a life of its' own!

Didn't mean to start a double sided animal activist post and Cly,i think you may be on to something,as we've all seen fucking hawks the size of phteridactyls flying over the neighborhood lately,of which the likes haven't been seen in the 20 years i've owned this house..

Can't however,let go of the fox idea yet,as we've seen a few in the neighborhood ;lately,prancing right down the street w/out a care in the world..

Anyway,got kidney stone surgery tommorrow,so other things to worry about for now..

Keep this thread friendly,as in a way,we are all right to some degree,no

matter what our opinions are..

BTW,everyones opinion counts,as long as its' the same as mine!:madaddy:

12. Clydetz

I worked with a guy who hated the hawks flying around the fields at the plant. He said he'd be out there every day with his rifle if we just didn't have all those 100,000 barrel gasoline storage tanks in the field. :devil1: Found out that when he was a kid, he witnessed a hawk swoop down and carry off his puppy. :ssad:

13. Komitadjie

Komitadjie Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

Sounds like a great excuse to spend the next week on the porch in a rocking chair with a slingshot (since your lovely politicos say you can't have a shotgun). You're not kiddin' about this thing taking off on it's own, either, wow. :devilzeek

I guess coyotes are the problem around here, so we just shoot 'em. They're a "varmint" species classification, and there's not been enough ammo ever made to put a real dent in their population numbers. They're nowhere near as dangerous as a wolf pack, but in numbers they're a serious hazard to people, especially kids. Chase 'em off with gunfire.

14. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

To the important stuff:

Good luck with your surgery!

GEEZER

15. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

Just an aside. Urban cat hunts are the only safari opportunity most hunters will ever have. I have seen them in a few cities and the parade of hunters and with their gun bearers is quite a sight!

16. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

Thanks Geez and will update after the doc gets his tools out my fuckin' pecker ..

Everyone behave and play nice,we are all on this blue marble together.....

Now, to take out a few unwanted marbles in the a.m....

17. KMNREMTP

KMNREMTP Devil's Playmate

not that i would know personally or anything but when i shot my ak in town that one time, no1 said anything..... maybe consider a 22???? just for the quietness and respect for ur neighbors, not because it's illegal and ur less likely to get caught. I would never encourage breaking a wonderful gun law!

18. Clydetz

Of course you are talking about shooting the cat owners and not the cats... right KMNREMTP?? :devil1:

19. Ken Brock

Ken Brock Who's Awesome? Super Moderator

although this wasn't directed at me I feel compelled to put my thoughts here

I hunt because I can. I hunt because I enjoy it. I hunt to put wonderful wild game in my freezer. Meat that has no hormones or any other crap in it. I hunt to eat some stuff that can't be found at the supermarket. It's not like dove breast or frog legs are super common in a market

I hunt because it puts me closer to nature. I hunt because I am an independent and self sufficient person.

I hunt because it is a challenge. there is a reason it is called "hunting" and not "killing"

I eat everything I kill except for varmints. In my 30 years of hunting I have had exactly 1 deer mounted. I can assure you that I've killed many more than one, so I guess I don't meet the definition of a trophy hunter

I plant a garden every year (even though I could just buy vegetables at the supermarket) so I can grow some of my own food as well. Guess what happens to animals that dig in my garden. Yep, they generally end up in the freezer

I know quite a few hunters that after filling their freezer will fill the freezers of their friends who don't or can't hunt. I have done this many times. After my freezer was filled, I gave meat (that I had taken my time to process and package) to some of the poor families in my community. Many hunters donate deer to homeless shelters

I have never personally known someone who willingly let a deer go to waste just to obtain a trophy. I'm sure it happens, but the vast majority of hunters don't like waste

Hunters (and shooters) are the biggest source of revenue for conservation. A portion of all hunting and shooting supplies are earmarked for conservation efforts. Can't remember the name of that law right now, sorry

I'm the same way about fishing. Most of the fish I catch are released. Except for trout, they go in the baking pan

But sometimes when I go fishing, a friend will ask me to bring some back for them and I do

oh, and to get back on topic. I agree with Mike, I seriously doubt that foxes are the problem

another interesting thing is how cats are a really big predator of song birds and other wild animals

englishmark and S.Shepherd like this.
  20. Mike Stewart

Ken,

You are referring to the PITTMAN-ROBERTSON ACT.

Every Gun and every Single Cartridge sold in this country includes an 11% excise tax that goes directly into a fund that is used for Wildlife and Conservation efforts all over the U.S.

It is just another way that Sportsman help in providing money for Conservation efforts.

I think that Gary mentioned Hawks and Eagles - they are indeed capable of taking cats and dogs but really prefer other birds and small animals like ground squirrels.