1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Whats' eating up our neighborhood cats??

AJD1 Sep 28, 2011

1. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

If you look at about every 5th telephone pole in my area,

you'll see a "lost cat" sign posted up and down the streets..

I've owned this home for 20 years,this January and never seen anything like it..

I think it must be foxes,as its' doubtfull all the cats gone missing, recently

decided, to leave a gaurenteed daily feeding by their owners,to seek greener pastures..

Almost every night i walk,especially trash night,i will spot another fox walking around the neighborhood and they are getting increasingly bold

and walk right through our yards now and don't seem to be to scared..

We all also noticed,the lack of rabbits which used to be flourishing in our area and they too,dissapeared.

I'm a animal lover like no other,but feel we need to do something,b4 they start ganging up and decide to try dragging our dogs or kids away,in packs,if indeed they hunt that way,as do their cousins,the wolves..

They tear open trash bags every Wednesday night,so i've told anyone who'll listen,not to put them out on Wednesday nights and do it Thursday moring,when trash pick up begins every week..

Any suggestions,besides animal control??

They don't seem to be bothered,no matter how close you get..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  2. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

Sounds like the foxes are keeping you from being overrun by cats. If you could send a few of those foxes over here, they could eat well and make the villagers happy.

3. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Here the coyotes are the house cats nightmare..
    Last year I took two over 50 lbs.

4. AJD1

ROAD-I'd love to send them to you in a box,so will get right on it!!

I would rather have the cats,as alot of neighbors have pocket-0book sized dogs around here,so only a matter oftime,b4 they up and dissapear..

GEEZ-My worst nightmare,is finding out we also have coyotes coming to visit,as i wouldn't doubt it in these parts..

5. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

I don't know where you live, but here is a map of the coyote range.

[​IMG]

6. Nuphoria

Nuphoria Cunning Linguist Lady Devil

Could be getting stolen too - people eat them, sell fur and lord knows what else.

7. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

i've been known to eat pussy.

jimmydred likes this.
  8. KMNREMTP

KMNREMTP Devil's Playmate

I'll take a fox as well if ur boxin them up n sendin 'em.... dude why not just get out there n shoot them?

jimmydred likes this.
  9. *THE PUNISHER*

*THE PUNISHER* ridge runner

Do you have any chinese places to eat close?

10. englishmark

englishmark Wicked Gardener

It could well be the foxes eating cats, especially if all the rabbits they normally prey on have gone.

I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about when it comes to them ganging up and stealing your kids.............:bwah:

Tell people to keep their cats in at night.

Sooner or later due to lack of food the numbers will decrease. But if they keep coming to the houses to be fed they will only get bolder especially if they have cubs to feed.

If you have too many foxes you can always shoot some of them.

Or maybe there's an old lady down the road who steals cats.

11. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Foxes will occasionally work in pairs, but they don't form packs like dogs or wolves will. Make sure everyone's cats stay indoors as much as possible until the foxes start wandering off. I'd bet my last nickel that some of your neighbors are feeding the little buggers, too.

12. Komitadjie

Komitadjie Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

Foxes as a whole stalk smaller prey in singles or pairs, they're highly unlikely to become a danger to humans aside from maybe the smallest kids (if you leave THEM outside, alone, at night... well, that's just nature's way of telling you that your genes should die with you). They are not aggressive like wolves, and don't form packs like coyotes. They will definitely be a threat to pets, though. I second the plan of keeping cats inside and making sure the garbage is secured for a while, their numbers will dwindle away again. People can't start feeding them, either, or they won't wander back off again.

Honestly, I'd much rather have the foxes as the area's apex predator than coyotes. They're more photogenic, and less dangerous.

Of course... Are you sure it's not ONE cat missing that several people think is theirs? We've got a couple cat-whores like that here in our area, they live and get fed at about seven houses.

13. -Ranger-

-Ranger- Average member

You should be able to hear it if the foxes are snagging cats. Problem is, if you have neighbors that allow their cats outside, they are probably also leaving a food bowl outside which causes the foxes to stick around the houses.

14. AJD1

As a matter of fact,there have been 2 occasions in the wee hours

when you could hear a cat shrieking loud enough,that people were waking up and turning their back lights on here,including me..

We had originally wrote it off as 2 cats bangin each other,as thats normal i guess ,but since have to wonder..

Noone up here leaves food outside,as we all had skunk squirting our dog issues a few years back and definetly

more than 1 cat missing and more than several seperate cat "missing"pics have been

posted on different tele poles as well as the main mail box center we all use,at the bottom of the street in the last year.....Pretty freaky..

I do live on a street,where 25 years ago,it was forest and the name of my street contains the word "fox" in it,so some from this area aren't too surprised i guess...Duh!.:madaddy:

15. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Opened the garage door at 0230 to leave for work this morning and there were two coyotes barking back and forth right across the street. (probably more but I heard two ). Always an eerie feeling.
    Went camping last weekend, there were not many people (we went Wednesday). My wife is one of those folks who say "why you carrying a gun, think this is the O.K. corral?". When the 'yotes started barking after dark she said, "you've got your gun don't you?"

I have heard, (I'm no expert), that foxes and coyotes rarely share the same habitat. If you are seeing foxes regularly maybe the coyote population is low.

GEEZER

16. AJD1

Hope you're right GEEZER and no,

i have never seen coyotes,thank god..

17. Amotek

Amotek Eerie Ver Sable Brigade Member

Here's your problem!

18. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

I'm not all that certain about foxes not working as a pack.

A number of years ago, Wezy's Best Friend was on her way home only to come up on a traffic jam.

Turned out to be 5 or 6 fox dragging a deer carcass across a 4 lane main road.

I think they are responsible for the cats disappearing.
    Racoons don't seem to bother cats, especially when there's a bowl of dry cat food available.

I sat out many a night waiting for that sucker, only to miss him with my 9mm KelTec SubRifle 2000.
    Hard to see the front blade sight in such low light, and I was shooting low. Not intentionally.

But I figure he began to associate going after that food with the very loud BANGS, and the dirt being kicked up into his face.
    I can go down by them(by our outside basement door) a couple or three days after filling their bowl, and there's still food in it.

Is it legal to shoot fox in your area?
    I think, aside from Animal Control, that's about your only option.
    Until the cats are all gone, too. Then what're they gonna go after?
    Your neighbors with the "pocketbook sized dogs" better not leave them outside alone.

Cannot tell y'all how embarrassed I am for missing that sumbitch so many times.:violindevil:
    I mean, from that distance, a quarter would cover the holes from 10 shots on paper!

19. AJD1

MACK-This is ASSACHUSETTS,so no,its' not legal to do ANYTHING in

our area and even a b.b.gun fired in these parts,is a 1 year jail sentence..

20. KMNREMTP

KMNREMTP Devil's Playmate

wth? Guess ur gunna have to fart towards them. (try live traps, take them to a more fox friendly location, like your local anti-gun politician's crib)