1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What production knife are you carrying today?

seelow123 Jul 20, 2012

1. sh00ter01

sh00ter01 When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk Brigade Member

It didn't take me very long to figure the above lock out, even picking it blind.

That said the limit of the booby pins becomes pretty evident pretty quickly. The flex/twisting and lack of handle makes getting 'feedback' (not sure if the right term) sometimes difficult. I learned quickly I tend to over tension too, which lead to a lot of backing off and allowing pins to reset, then starting again.

If you were gonna recommend a few picks for a beginner to get, what tip style are 'go to' or staples of picking? Obviously hook and single diamond are on the short list.

2. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Protagonist

[​IMG]

3. sh00ter01

sh00ter01 When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk Brigade Member

:bwah:

Well I already have 2 out of 4 of those, guess I'm ahead of the game:manganr:

Nebuchadnezzar likes this.
  4. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Don't make me cu..OW! Knife Maker or Craftsman

Cool soddie. We seem to share many of the same tastes. :thumbsup:

5. Keyman

Keyman Huge member

A hook and diamond are the main stays for sure.
    I prefer a semi hooked diamond as my main go to pick (a Diamond with a slight upward bend).
    A extreme hook is also very handy especially when trying to reach the last pin when it is a 1 cut (shallow) and the one before it is a 9 (deep).
    Without that extreme hook it's pretty near impossible to get that 1 in the right place without pushing on the 9.
    The handles will make it much easier to hold the pick like a pencil and pick.
    This type of grip will give you a much better feel for the pins and the shear lines.
    You are definitely headed down the right path when you say that the turning tool tension is important.
    When I'm trying to apply the lightest tension I can; I will use my custom long armed tension tool.
    The length of the tool allows me to apply just the very slightest amount of turning tension on the plug(very desirable).
    Also, when using my tension tools I try and insert them in the top of the keyway whenever possible.
    This allows for more pick room and avoids the possibility of binding the plug against shell.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
    sh00ter01 likes this.
  6. Nebuchadnezzar

Good taste is universal. :manganr:

7. Standsalone

Standsalone El Borinquen Balisong JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Just got her today :manganr:

[​IMG]

8. vicbastige

vicbastige Average member

Is that the Bento Box sprint?

9. zogglet

zogglet Better than Nutella Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

Benchmade Nagara again today:

[​IMG]

10. Nebuchadnezzar

Guns for Show, knives for a pro.

[​IMG]

11. Standsalone

I got it off GPK ,its in stock at Knifeworks.

Going with the Sebingo today.:manganr:

[​IMG]

P.S. Yes I know , I am still shopping for a new compact camera just can't make up my mind yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
  12. Keyman

Keyman Huge member

It's Grailensday!

[​IMG]

13. zogglet

I don't really know what to think about this knife: the District 9 Tanto (the limited District 9 Storm version; not the Reate branded one). I bought it a year ago because I loved the look of it, specifically the unique tanto blade, the fancy raised pivot (and overall badass looking hardware). It got great overall reviews, and I wanted to finally buy a tank-like folder which wasn't too over-the-top weight-wise. But for some reason I don't like it nearly as much as I thought I would. I also cut myself with it several times closing it.

I'm still deciding whether I like it enough to keep it. What bugs me is that I really can't quite put my finger on what it is about it that just doesn't do it for me. :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Rhonda

Rhonda knife diva Lady Devil Brigade Member

What production knife are you carrying today?

Still carrying my same PT Godson. :thumbsup:

Nothing else is able to bump it outta my pocket. :thumbsup:

15. Nebuchadnezzar

Being a big guy the idea of big knives is appealing to me, but they always fall short of my expectations. Large thick blades just aren't as good at most of the tasks I use my knife for throughout the day.

I want a knife to slice, effortlessly and precise. The Caly3 in my pocket today is a superb example of such a knife.

[​IMG]

16. zogglet

Same. Like most people, it took me forever to start appreciating Spydercos, but my Para2 is my most frequent EDC, and because it can indeed slice precisely and effortlessly. Plus I love the way it looks and feels. That's a nice Caly 3. And you've now convinced me to go get a cappuccino. :manganr:

The idea of big knives is appealing to me too for some reason (I'm a tall scrawny chick, but I have biggish hands. Maybe that's what it is. :bwah:), but I'm on the same page that all of them I've tried have fallen short of my expectations. This year at Blade Show I was so excited to finally get to play with a bunch of tankish knives that I swore I'd eventually buy, but every single one of them disappointed me, and I changed my mind about each one. Argh.

17. Standsalone

Techno Thursday :manganr::manganr::manganr:

[​IMG]

18. Nebuchadnezzar

Spyderco makes some decent stuff. This Caly has seen more than its fair share of use and taken everything I've thrown at it. It always finds it way back to my pocket. Usually I don't have milk in my espresso but there was some leftover and I hate to waste good foam.

Don't get me wrong I love me some big knives. I am just realistic about their usefulness in my life.

Keyboard for scale.
    [​IMG]

19. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Those Caly3s are excellent....I carried one for over 4 years. I was heartbroken when I lost it.

20. zogglet

I love the Techno! Marcin Slysz's designs are great. I'm probably going to buy a Slysz Bowie when I find the best price.
    :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015