1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What makes you a "Knife Guy"

Blade HQ Aug 17, 2015

1. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'd ask your uncle and see if he owns up to it.

It's long ago enough what could it hurt?

2. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

Funny you say that cause I actually have asked him a couple of times and he denies having anything to do with it and has a shit-eating grin. Can never tell when that man is serious. He's an old-school practical joker/ funny guy. I just wonder what kind of knife it was. Back then the cheap flippers you can get a dime a dozen wernt around like they are now. Could've been a good collectors item now. Oh well I guess...

desmodus likes this.
  3. ColdCut

ColdCut Tiny Member

Growing up, my Pa was a Copper in a big urban area where he was regularly dealing with folks that needed to look out for their own well-being as best they could as a normal part of their daily M.O. Various weapons were always a part of the equation but, for whatever reasons, confiscated knives weren't necessarily always turned in (or back over) during stops and arrests back then. (early-mid 60's - bullshit to be sure but it was a different time) Consequently, by the time I was 10 or 11 my dad had turned over to me a small duffel sack filled with a variety of knives for me to peruse and basically do with as I pleased. He saw it all as pretty harmless, I guess. I ended up with all kids of crappy knives over the years but every so often a nice one would become part of the mix as well. I remember a lot of cheap manual and automatic Italian stiletto-type blades in various states of disrepair along with the typical Pakistani crappola and "butterfly" style knives that proudly proclaimed "Kung Fu" in bold white letters plastered on their cheap plastic scales. The difference in quality, fit and finish between the various contenders for my affection began to become clearer and more obvious over the years and that was the genesis of my eventual obsession. I still have a few of those cheapies around to remind myself how far down the rabbit-hole I've gone. For some of us it's been a long, slow trip indeed.

4. tonk

tonk JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I used to sail hobie cats quite frequently and all the lines ( ropes ) and what not made me nervous,
    The best plan B was to Carry a knife or two .I guess thats what got me into knifes

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Tiny Member

My dude left a rusty balisong that was using floss to keep the pivots tight enough on my desk. I played with it, cut myself, put it back, and did work at pc for months. I don't know what happened but I picked the damn thing up, looked up beginner butterfly tricks, and here I am obsessed with flipping and looking for a better flipper. lol

Edit: Well damn, now for some reason my body seems to be obsessively researching knife customization and trying to turn this Kimura into a work of art with aspirations of creating flippers to beat BRS. DAMN YOU KNIFE ABANDONING BOYFRIEND.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    desmodus likes this.
  6. Jimi

Jimi Little Member

Well, ya know... it's in our DNA! In fact, Forbes listed the knife as the most important invention of all times- dating back 2 million years. Many laws categorize pocket knives as tools and not weapons; they're just that damn useful... me personally, I needed a knife to separate the meat from the bone prior to cooking my dinner!