1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What is your point of diminishing return?

Charlie Mike Mar 5, 2015

1. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike paranoid nutjob Brigade Member

For me... $1500/folders and $400/fixed... not that I haven't spent over this figure.

I was just browsing AZCK and PVK. Many 4 figure knives there. It's my opinion that many of them are priced so high only because someone will pay that much. I love high end everything but I can't afford to buy something that I'm afraid to use (or unwilling to modify).

[video=youtube;BNQULw8E8H0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQULw8E8H0[/video]

2. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

Tough one. Prices seem to be higher with some makers, and not with others. I def would never spend over 2k secondary market on a folder.
    Fixed blades $500 would be avg. for me

3. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

BTW nice folder..
    The date on that Rolex looks a little small, hmmmm.. :manganr:Kidding!

4. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Are you old enough to remember ?

[​IMG]

:devilwag:

5. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike paranoid nutjob Brigade Member

No idea what that means.

6. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  7. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I remember it! I was stationed in Germany when Barry took off for his non-stop delivery. :manganr:

What is your point of diminishing return?

I'm retired now but while I was a working stiff the most I ever spent on a fixed blade was $1400 and on a custom built folder was $1200. Nowadays, $200 would be a lot for me to spend on a single knife. :devilzeek

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  8. EPS2929

EPS2929 Little member

I remember it well. Never liked the ending though??

As for knives, I don't buy near what I did 6-8 years ago.

9. TopHat

TopHat Drivin' that train..... Brigade Member

Vanishing Point.

I actually have a 1/18 scale diecast model of that exact car....

10. Beelzebubbles

Beelzebubbles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Being involved in a hobby that's very gear oriented (hiking, camping, outdoors, hunting, knives, guns, etc) can lead to some nasty habits. Its something that I've been struggling with for some time now (being very materialistic) I realize now that I cannot afford to be materialistic and have any kind of quality of life outside of my knife drawer If I continued.

A custom knife doesn't cut any better than the spyderco Endura 4 FFG that I just bought and I don't mind to actually use this and take it into the woods!

It could be a "beat the smiths" kind of attitude or it could be personal vanity, either way it can be very destructive if not kept in check.

I remind myself that a knife in my pocket when I need to use one is infinitely more valuable to me than the knife that's sitting back at home in a safe.:unintroduced:

Rover likes this.
  11. zidfeldts

zidfeldts Brigade Member Brigade Member

I used to leave a lot of knives in the cupboard as well. Lately I have been trading for high end users and I find myself enjoying knives more. I am getting to the 500 dollar range now and enjoy having this type of knife in my pocket.

12. Gaston444

Gaston444 Little member

Funny...

Funny how people will pay more for a folder than a fixed blade... I would go $700 on a fixed blade, but never more than $200 on a folder...

Gaston

13. elusiveweasle

elusiveweasle Brigade Member Brigade Member

I edc Buck Knives and carry Mora's in the woods.

What does that tell ya?

14. tdg2100

tdg2100 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

My tastes have been on the rise since joining this forum. Thanks a lot for that! :cry:

Looking at some of those 500-600.00 folders is really getting me itching for an upgrade. I can't quite bring myself to go more than that yet, but I'm really wanting something from Sniper Bladeworks badly. I've got one of the Boker collaborations, but I REALLY want to get my hands on a real one.

The more I read here, the more I lose all common sense though. By this time next week I'll probably drooling over some $1000.00 beast as I whip out my credit card.

15. RTBMIC

RTBMIC Huge member

I use the CRK rule for folders. Is the build quality going to be better or equal to a new Chris Reeve. I have bought so many custom big dollar folding knives and have been very disappointed. I am never disappointed in my CRK.

Fixed blades I really only go to MS. J Neilson anymore but anything over $700.00 for a fixed knife is to much for me. I really don't collect I like to use them. Thats the best part to me.

16. dxt75

dxt75 Little member

I would have to say around $1500, I usually only carry a Strider or CRK. Sometimes though I may throw a custom in my pocket for the day.