1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What is it about automatics?

Mr.LaBella Dec 18, 2012

1. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

That makes them so sexy...so appealing?

:ropeman:

2. empyC

empyC Average member

It's the click. Definitely the click. Sexy as hell. Just the way it pops out so... confidently? I think that's the word I'm looking for. Probably not the best word to describe it, but oh well.

3. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

I'll go with "the click". That little noise made them *taboo*. And as such, only increased the early fascination.
    Like having a firecracker stash in a banned state...

I dunno, always have been drawn to them (SO's) for a pocketknife carry piece.

Then came the OTF's, all refined and made with quality materials. Especially the DA versions.

*Set the hook*... :jdwink2:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
    GEEZER likes this.
  4. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

THWAP:thumbsup:

GEEZER likes this.
  5. JackBlades

JackBlades former cerveca terminador

Hah! I was going to reply with roughly the same thing!
    Guv'ment outlaws it, some want it all the more.
    And I have a stash of firecrackers, too. ;)

GEEZER likes this.
  6. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Another vote for the sound.....
    Kinda like the slide closing on a 1911....

jfever311 and Stabber like this.
  7. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Huh? WTF you doing over there Ricky?

"Thwap"? As in thwap, thwap, thwap...?

For the love of God, please shut the door and pull the curtains...:bwah:

8. DSpike13

DSpike13 Average member

Definitely. Nobody wants a silent auto.

9. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

Probably, mostly because you're not supposed to have them. That and they are fun little machines.

10. firebolt

firebolt Hollandse Duivel Brigade Member

like them

but can't have theme here, at least by law :ropeman:

importing them is a bit tricky

i really would like to have a nice one, you know with no blade play
    and a lock up like a vault ( sand shark , Triton ect )

11. KnifeAddicc

KnifeAddicc Average member

The ''not knowing'' whats inside the handle, the mechanism thats pushing the blade in/out amaze me, the precision machining of all the parts, its like a little machine that you hold and clik clak the blade in and out. I did a short research on my combat troodon and didnt find anything on the mechanism, i dont really need to know altough id like too. I would have to take it apart and its not gonna happen soon because of the special screws. Oh and I think i saw a troodon in Mission Impossible 3, its pretty cool for that particular knife anyway.

12. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

Whoops:ropeman::manganr:
    No rapid Firing!!!

13. nocheese4u

nocheese4u Notch'yo' cheese! JDBA Official Member

[video=youtube;Yz_wnDQu4W4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Yz_wnDQu4W4[/video]

14. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I like the benefit of 'one hand opening' and that 'kick of a mule' and the 'THWACK' upon opening.

15. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

I dunno; a THWAK makes me think it's in need of adjustment. It's that fine-tuned SNICK that gets my juices flow...oh damn. Now where did I put the paper towels?

16. Huevos

Huevos muy grande!

I think West Side Story started it all....

[video=youtube;MWb_xz0OakQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MWb_xz0OakQ[/video]

17. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

The appeal for me is Patriotic. Im a fat lazy American. I want my knife blade @ the touch of a finger! Thumb stud? Assisted openers? Do you know how much energy that requires? Im not waiting .72 seconds for blade deployment. Balis? If I want a wrist-workout I'd grab my...
    ...curling bar. S/A autos are even getting cumbersome. A charging bar better take Visa or forget it. D-A all-the-way. Im counting the years for technology to get us to a microchip brain-implant that I can control my DA OTF with, just by issueing a simple brain command, like that lady who controls her robotic hand...now thats American! Sign me up!
    :thumbsup:
    :manganr:

GEEZER likes this.
  18. JIMMY_MAC

JIMMY_MAC easy rider Brigade Member

I was an auto fiend for years, could never get enough of them.
    Then one day Mr. LaBella talked me into purchasing an RJ Martin JD Q36. The minute I took it out of the box, I was hooked. I'd bet it opens faster than any out the side auto on the market.

I still love auto's, but have a hard time finding one with the quality we knew in the past.....

JIMMY_MAC

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  19. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Auto's are for dudes who don't know how to scrap and think that they are going to scare their imaginary enemies...:devilzeek:bwah:.

20. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

there cool big boy toys,but many of them are not good for fighten,,i've heard of blades closing when jabibing them in to something, or failing when opening,,opening in peoples pockets,, and the sound of one opening can warn your opponent your armed.I have a few I'll never give up,,but only as collectors.