1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What have I missed, Bali bros?

Masharp81 Aug 29, 2022

1. Masharp81

Masharp81 Angelus Mortis JDBA Official Member

Last time I was big in the Bali scene was 2014ish. I was buying A LOT of knives back then. Alpha Beasts, a HOM, Tachyon 2 that I’ve since sold, a Manuel LeBrun (ELB) custom, and Ex09? (Whichever the first run was, but I sold it in 2019) … And of course discontinued BM balis we’re all the rage.

I lost touch when my father passed in ‘16, but briefly came back in 2019. I sold my Tachyon (for a very low price because I didn’t do my research, and I didn’t expect the Tachyon2 to double in price over a few year period). I sold one of my Alpha Beast 2.0’s… and I bought a couple knives.

Anyway, not to ramble… but I guess basically are there new makers that are all the rage? Has the Bali market died down some? What are the current balis to keep an eye out for? What is in demand? Help an old timer like me out. 10 years ago I was a decent flipper. I could do a lot of moves, but I still needed work on my transitions. I haven’t flipped in probably 5 years, so I im imagine if I tried now I’d definitely need the bandaids nearby :bang:

0EAA5DC2-1AAB-411E-96E6-04A0744FED25.jpeg

Pinoy Knife likes this.
  2. Masharp81

Oh.. that’s something else I wanted to ask.. are there current new flippers I should watch. I still watch old vids of FeenxFire, SilentJay, Ed from BRS, and others whose names escape me right now, lol. I remember the other site where they had weekly competitions… BrokenBrains was it called?

3. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Broken brains is still operating but not a lot of traffic goes through there anymore.

There's a heap of new makers. Most of them operate from Facebook or Instagram.

Machinewise is one dude that comes to mind. Off the top, others include Hansenmetals, wb.concept, heibel knives, jk design, squid industries.

Got this email alert from bhq today.

Screenshot_20220830-164323_Email.jpg

Raevynheart and Masharp81 like this.
  4. Rewolf420

Rewolf420 Tiny Member

palethius has preorders up for recurve bowies on his instagram. I preordered mine. 1235 total. the machinewise serif is ~600 if you can nail a drop or get one aftermarket. anyone know what happened with ddr and the gemini? remember hearing about him round 2017-18 and nothing since. atropos knives in russia has huge selection but not sure how good it is, never had one. feels like brs is dropping the ball they need to release more knives. Homs been slowly releasing good stuff. cant rush great quality it seems. I had a cf bas r back in the day and gifted it to my cousin. some day ill get that channel bas. maxace stuff looks and feels nice, but all seem to have one truly damning problem. like tang pins breaking within a month and no chance for replacements, or just not feeling or flipping right. plus it feels like they hemorrhage value.

Pinoy Knife and Masharp81 like this.
  5. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Welcome back man. Been a long while...don't let it happen again.

The only thing you need to know is that the BM51 is now expensive and hard to get.

***Standard statement to anybody who has been gone for a while..."glad you ain't dead"

Masharp81 likes this.
  6. Masharp81

Lol.. I just sold a Palethius modded 51 that had custom titanium slabs. I feel like I could have gotten more if I waited. But I’m a shit seller. A couple years ago I sold a Tachyon 2 and got my asking price within 3 minutes. People were offering me double in PM’s, but I gave it to the first I’ll take it, so I ended up selling it for about what I paid for it. Everyone told me I gave it away, lol. Oh well, I’ve gotten good deals from the JD, so I’m ok with throwing someone else a bone. I’m just surprised that my custom ELB hasn’t gotten 1 offer. I was on Manuel’s waiting list for 4 years to have it custom built. Oh well. The market changes rapidly as I’ve found out a few times. Good to see you, man. I remember you from back in the day. I joined JD in like 2012 54522489-075F-474E-93AB-D9B6EB5D3B95.jpeg

7. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Is it true that they stopped making them because NO ONE likes them.. or is willing to pay real money for one?

8. Raevynheart

Raevynheart Little Member

Darrel Ralph passed away in November of last year. I believe he was looking to release a new sandwich design this year. Put the order in for "the last Gemini" he planned to do — two weeks later I learned he was gone.

Pinoy Knife likes this.
  9. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Shut your pie hole! We had a deal...you don't talk bad about the BM51 and I don't talk bad about your boyfriend.

***Get a flipping competition going Buddha

laughingbuddha and Masharp81 like this.
  10. Masharp81

Have to agree with Buddha. The 51 was a lousy flipper for me. I still have a stock 51, but only flipped it a few times. When I bought another 51 for Pale to do the custom slabs, I did a few standard openings over my bed when it first arrived, and the difference was very notable. It would have been my flipper of choice, but I had the custom work done to keep as a collector item. So it went in the case, and was only taken out for occasional oiling and admiration.
    I know this question is all about preference, but what knives are flippers gravitating towards these days?

11. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

Masharp81 likes this.
  12. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

I have some good knives. They are good.

13. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

I have a semi clean shankle

14. ninjastar

ninjastar Little member JDBA Official Member

Probably good you sold the Pale when you did. Prices peaked in 2020 then came down hard. If you want another, I'll give you a great deal on one

There's a lot of good production CNC channel balisongs now compared to a few years ago. Machinewise Maryn and Jimpy Sentinel were two of the best but are done now. Machinewise Maryn and Squid Industries Tsunami are some of my favorite modern balisongs. JK doing some cool things with the Monarch V1 and Orca

Masharp81 and Raevynheart like this.