1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What do you bring to the range, aside from your gun? My outdoor experience.

CDR_Glock Sep 15, 2017

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I belong to a private outdoor club. What you bring is what you use out there. You leave something at home or something breaks, you're screwed.

IF YOU DO NOT BELOW TO AN OUTDOOR RANGE, YOU NEED NOT READ ANY FURTHER.[emoji23]

Most range stuff I leave in my vehicle because it's a lot of work to load and unload.

TARGETS

Arntzen AR-500 steel (IDPA and Standard round targets)

Rubber dummy

IDPA Cardboard targets

NRA D-1 targets

Target stand (4 2x2s)

Being in an outdoor range, you become your own technical support for sighting your equipment, fixing targets, hanging targets, equipment failure, etc. Last thing I need after driving 24 minutes it to forget to bring something. Stapler and spare staples is a showstopper for me, if I don't have them. I always have my steel targets but if a joint on the stand, or the bolt that holds the target fails, it makes for a failed journey.

Sights can be off, particularly with ammo brand changes, despite same bullet grain weight. I never understand the concept of fixed sights, as point of impact changes for different loads from my experience. My friend has a beautiful PC S&W 629 with rear channel sights.

TOOLBOX:

Universal Sight Pusher tool, Glock Front sight tool

stapler, spare staples

Trigger weight gauge

Toolkit with screwdrivers, torx screwdriver, punch

LeatherMan

1911 multitool with pliers

AR-15 Multitool with knife

Spare CR2032 batteries

Green Laser boresight tool: Green is visible out to 25 yards

PACT Club timer: It is a way to track progress

Spare nuts, bolts, washers for my Arntzen targets

Adjustable wrenches for my Arntzen target stand

Torque screwdriver

Upula universal magazine reloaders for pistol, AK, AR: Saves the thumbs, particularly with my volume.

Ruger magazine speedloader

Pen

flashlight (no lights in the woods, here)

Laser rangefinder, spare laser rangefinder

Rubber mallet (field strip my Mark II Ruger)

SPARE COMPARTMENT: Always have a backup plan.

Electronic hearing protection

Spare electronic hearing protection: because even though you tell a guest they need eyes and ears, some knucklehead doesn't.

Foam hearing protection

Spare stapler

Spare box of Staples

Sighting scope/tripod

AMMO BOX (50 cal size): Because If you forget your ammo, you're screwed.

Spare ammunition in 223/5.56, 300 AAC, 22 LR, 357 Magnum, 45 ACP

CLEANING KIT

I just clean the Bore, feed ramp and slide after each shooting.

SIGHTING/TESTING

I don't always bring my Lead sled. It is helpful for sighting in as it takes out human error.

Pistol rest. Useful for load work ups.

Chronograph. How will you determine your effective range or distance, or even bullet drops without one? I use it in conjunction with ballistics apps on the iPhone. That's how I am able to shoot my handguns beyond the usual self defense range, for fun.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

That's quite a haul! The old stapler and staples delima. I've been in a jam forgetting or running out of those. We have some emergency tacks that live in the frame of the target where I shoot.

I've mostly been shooting long range for a while now. My sessions are geared towards that and don't require much. A chronograph for sure if I'm working up a load. Bipod, rear bag, dope chart and range finder.

There is always a pistol or two and maybe another rifle or two. It take time to get to the spot I shoot so why not take advantage of it.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  3. CDR_Glock

If I had only fixed sights, used only one brand of ammo, hand only one gun and just used paper, life would be easier.

But I shoot a variety of firearms, calibers, designs at a range of targets, frequently multiple targets.

I have had bolts come loose on my steel targets. That was a real show stopper. No wrench or spare parts and that range trip is a waste.

The bore sighter is useful to determine the bore relationship to the sights. Even on handguns. Some are combat and some center hold. Also very useful for a snubby to determine POI/POA at a longer distance.

I can't tell you how many times Sights need adjusting. It's good to have the stuff. I can tell when a gun is off. Sight pusher is critical particularly when installing new sights. Point of impact changes when I change brands of ammo, even for differences in brand-not just grain weight. That's why I value adjustable sights.

Since I clean at the range, I need those things.

Someone else's gun might fail, and it's good to be able to help someone in need. I have made many friends that way and gotten great deals on used guns, too.

It's a lot, but it's like they say about guns, "It's better to have it and not need it".

seandavid55 likes this.
  4. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I love the concept of combat accuracy.

It keeps my OCD at bay.

I'd go insane adjusting my sights all the time.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  5. CDR_Glock

Only when ammuntion is changed, do I do that.

But it is noticeable. Even though you have 115 gr, there is a difference from one maker to another.

6. WT351

WT351 Lone Star Moderator Super Moderator

I always take a basic toolkit, a few multi tools, cleaning kit, staplers, and staples. Sight adjustment stuff only if I have changed something drastically. I am good with minute of head / minute of chest accuracy. I realize my own variables are likely to affect accuracy more than anything else.

Consider adding a medical kit of some sort to that load? Always a good idea when lead is flying, sometimes it comes back. Accidents and unintentionals happen. Outdoor ranges are rarely in close proximity to civilization or medical help. Some of the more organized outdoor ranges have people around and probably have a kit somewhere. But having one with you, especially if you are in a remote private range type setup where it is just you, is good practice.

stdlrf11 and BennytheBlade like this.
  7. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

I must say you are better equipped than I am. I take a lot of the same stuff, but I go with minimal tools. I have rarely had to do anything at the range other than tighten a slightly loose screw on a scope mount. Other than that, I generally just go home and work on a larger problem. Out away from civilization, I would approach things differently, of course. You seem to be well prepared for those kinds of situations.

begreen61 likes this.
  8. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Damn you are serious shooters ,,Me the guns ,ammo ,a cleaning rod and solvent ,,targets and a sand bag shooting stand ,glasses and ear muffs which I never wear,,