1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What do Balisongs mean to you?

Looseyfur Oct 26, 2010

1. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Then keep on flippin man...:thumbsup:

***All the best

2. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Probably smarter to necro-post this, than creating a new thread :ropeman:.

3. Papercuts

Papercuts JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Makes sense to me.

4. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

Take your own advice.

5. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That and while your at it quit offering sellers more money after someone had posted "I'll take it", therefore bidding on sells threads...:devilroll: Like you did earlier this week...

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
    Coconutfilipino likes this.
  6. subieman

subieman Little member

balisong for life

im a new member. but ive had a bali since i was 12 is was a small brass handled pc i think could have been an early benchmade im 38 so that was a long timee ago i used to bring it every where with me. i saw it in a local gun shop and begged for it. i loved it because my dad said no but my uncle got it for me anyway on my birthday i opened it and never put it down . some how it got lost or stolen it broke my heart.as i grew up i got some different ones a bear cuttlery a benchmade 239. it was hard not living at home so i carried them for defence and practiced opening and closing all the time. not legal to carry i got the bm confiscated and miss that one alot. i got a used bm 42 tlatch a few years ago and realized how much i missed balis .now after so many kinds of knives i think the design and basic nature prove to be the best for all around. never ending fun. the new titanium made a big difference in length of the lifespan ,weight and flippability.i love the titanium handles. it think part of flippin that atracts me is the handeye quardination and over coming the fear of cutting youself . i never really have feared the blade. it feels natural to me.folding knives have always impressed me with mechanics. the old school history of balis is cool too.now i live in vt and balis are legal to carry here so i am living it up. got some new ones a 51 morpho and 42 springer with cook spa. want to get into building for a hobbie . its a love that runs deep. learned a bunch of rollovers and have a lot of time flippin . airials zero g chaplens im not really good at, but it gives me a goal to shoot for. there will always be room for improvement. faster smoother etc.just wanted to give some praise to you pro flippers got some serious skills out there. its awesome BRS guys designed the alpha beast and i want one for my next bali. just keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  7. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

Some paragraph structure and more punctuation would do you a lot of good, it was difficult to read.

***Welcome dude, the bali bug bites hard :manganr:

8. subieman

subieman Little member

sorry not a good writer

thanx. i know im bad with puncuation . had to get i out.ill try to do better in the future.

9. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Goddamn don't they teach grammar in school anymore!!??:bwah:

Welcome, be sure to check out the FAQ thread in the Balisong subform (JDBA), there's a lot of helpful info contained within!! Rule#4.
    And remember The Mighty JD offers much more than just balisong info, there's a lot of helpful threads everywhere! Enjoy!!:thumbsup:

10. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

Haha don't worry about it man just trying to prevent twice the hassle of reading I get with Tim :bwah:

11. garrim

garrim Average member

At least this guy doesn't repeat the same thing 50 times to make a 3 paragraph post when one would suffice.

12. vileperson

vileperson Enormous member

Every time.

[​IMG]

13. Eric Koenig

Eric Koenig Huge member

Growing up ive always loved weapons, knives, tools, gear, etc. When i was 11 my grandpop gave me his balisong, which was a ccc but i loved it because it tamed my ADD and eventually i learned a few tricks on it. Then i went to a flea market and after trying really hard i convinced my dad to buy me a bear and sons they sold there, loved it to death until it broke and i was so upset and torn apart over it.

the following christmas my parents got me a kimura 2 and i loved it and still love it even though its trashed. :) then i got some more better knives and etc.

The past trick that ive learned this year is probably scissoring. after you get cut so many times from ariels you get less scared of doing them, and adding different and crazy ariels into the mix is really making flipping alot more fun.

Basically balisongs are my little "click" item, they're my hobby, the mechanics of how they work are beautifully simple, and they've given me a new appreciation to engineering, hobbyists, and just something to do when im bored. but the practicality of them at the same time is what i love.

***(holding back tears)***

14. Tmack

Tmack Level: True Devil

Balisongs are what I'm using to occupy my time and money after a long struggle with heroine.

They really do mean a lot to me. I find things I love, and put my all into them. Now that I have this hobby, it's what I focus on, after my son of course. It gives me an outlet,a time to clear my mind, without destroying it. It gives me the rush of danger, it gives my wallet a hole ;)

It's been a long time since I was able to talk to people about something we are all passionate about, and people I can laugh with. Even longer since I had the mind to be able to buy things for fun. Really feels good to be "normal"

For years my focus was only where to get money for more dope.

Now I have knives coming up to get excited for, a small collection to be proud of, and a place I can "hang out" to shoot the shit, about what we all love.

L3b4 and Takeiteazy3 like this.
  15. squidmaster23

squidmaster23 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Tmack, if you don't mind me asking, how long long have you been sober?

You're not the only one that finds this hobby therapeutic :thumbsup:

16. Tmack

Tmack Level: True Devil

The day I got out of jail, I had a son waiting for me. Two years clean now. Not even a sip of beer much less what I used to do. Just about anything.

Really I should say knives are what my focus has been. As soon as I got home,I need a hobby. knives was it.
    It's only recently in the last six months did I find Balisongs.

PS-RagE likes this.
  17. Blastermaster

Blastermaster Huge member

It all started with a broken can opener

In my junk drawer there was this old can opener which had broken the actually can opening part off, so it was just 2 pivoting handles. I suppose after learning a trick on that I decided to move up to a real balisong (a real shitty one...but I digress) My CCC Sheila is my first balisong, and my favorite flipper so far. My mother and father are both really militantly anti knife/gun/anything, so this really made them angry. Two heated arguments later and here I sit, Sheila in my hand and me counting up money on my desk for my eventual bm 51 Ti. I suppose to me balisongs are a kindred spirit to do what I love, and I love balisongs

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  18. McCoy1996

McCoy1996 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

An escape from the stress of reality and loneliness.

19. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Maybe you shouldn't play with sharp objects.........

Balis are another facet of my love affair with knives. Years ago i bought my tachyon clone then moved on to an actual spyderfly my first purchase of a $100 knife and my first introduction to spyderco. I've come full circle over the years. Bought many spyderco knives and now I'm back into balis. It's just fun to play with and learn new tricks. It's also handy for cutting too. I see no reason why my balis can't be used as knives. Seeing some of the customs around it really makes me appreciate the art aspects of it too. I remember years ago when I first got into balis and drooling over PABU balis in Damascus and mokume gane.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  20. FlipperDeluxe

FlipperDeluxe JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Inner Peace

When I was 14 I was diagnosed with multiple heart conditions, ventricular tachycardia and atrial fibrillation. So for about two years I was wearing heart monitors all the time, and in this time I couldn't really do anything other than sit around and play video games. That's when I took up balisong, gave it up for awhile, then I got back into it about 7-8 months ago when I got to depressed to even leave my bedroom. Its almost like when I freestyle nothing else matters its just me and the razors edge doing the dance of the balisong and all my worries just disappear......zen i think is the word for it, balisongs bring me peace to a mind clouded with anger and depression, when I think of my happy place, it's always flipping my balisong.

Tmack likes this.