1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What are you working for?

mndart Mar 5, 2008

1. mndart

mndart Crushing rocks in hell

This is just totally depressing. I find all I am doing is working to pay a bunch of greedy leeches who have divined it proper to screw their home countrymen out of every penny they can possibly scrape together. Why are health care costs more expensive in America than nearly anywhere else? My wife gashed her head one night. I quite a job friday, started a a new job Monday. We were unisnsured two days.
    10 minutes in the ER, $600 to clean and "superglue" the cut. :steamed: GREED. Pure GREED. There is no call for this.
    I had an ear infection. Price of the ear drops before insurance = $129.00
    It is good to know that my wife and I are working for this kind of crap. It appears to me that our country just wants to take it all, allow others to take it all, and then when it is all gone, well, tough SHIT old citizen... die. Cause of death: medical expense induced poverty, inabiltiy to pay!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080305/ap_on_bi_ge/retiree_health_care

----

"Retiree couple needs $225K for medical By EILEEN ALT POWELL, AP Business Writer 10 minutes ago

A couple retiring this year will need about $225,000 in savings to cover medical costs in retirement, according to a study released Wednesday by Fidelity Investments.
    The figure, calculated for a couple age 65, is up 4.7 percent from the $215,000 estimate for 2007, the Boston-based financial services company said.
    And it is similar to other projections for health care costs in retirement — daunting figures given that longer life spans also are requiring workers to increase retirement nest eggs.
    A separate study released last month by the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College estimated that an individual needs to go into retirement with some $102,000 earmarked just for health care coverage, while a couple needs about $206,000.
    Given current levels of retirement savings, the center said, six in 10 older workers are "at risk" of being unable to maintain their standard of living in retirement.
    The Fidelity study, which has been conducted annually since 2002, assumes workers do not have employer-sponsored retiree health care coverage. It includes expenses associated with Medicare premium payments as well as co-payments and deductibles, plus out-of-pocket prescription drug costs.
    "With health care costs continuing to outpace wage increases and companies trimming retiree health benefits, financing health care has to be central to retirement planning," Brad Kimler, executive vice president of Fidelity's benefits consulting group, said in a statement accompanying the report.
    Fidelity's first study in 2002 found that a couple needed $160,000 in savings to fund medical costs in retirement, and that total has risen an average of 5.8 percent a year.
    The study blamed the rising health care costs this year on higher unit costs, for example the cost of a doctor's visit; higher utilization rates for health care services; rising costs associated with new technologies; and increased incidence of some chronic conditions, like diabetes."

2. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

I hear you. Medical prices in the U.S. suck big time. The U.S. health care quality has also fallen off. I am lucky at present being covered by the French system. The World Health Care Organization rates France number one and the U.S. number 37. I am sure that if you have money, the U.S. system rates highly, quality care just isn't available to everyone. $$$$$

3. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I know what you're talking about, mndart! Between the time I was on short term disability going into long term disability I had to choose another medical/prescription plan and there was a 2-3 week period where I had no coverage. I take 6 prescription medications and most of them ran $5-$30/month under the old plan. But one of the prescriptions calls for 2 little pills/week and a month's supply of 8 under the old plan would run me about $115. Imagine my surprise when I went to pick up my prescription when I was in-between plans and the pharmacist says..."That will be $532.95." I looked at him and said... "You'd better give me just 2 pills and I'll have to hope my new prescription plan kicks in soon!" Thank God it did because there was no way in Hell I could afford those prices.

4. Boogerball

Boogerball My posse's on Broadway Brigade Member

I don't have any health insurance, so I don't go to the doctor... :ross: If I get sick, I just go to the drugstore and bug the pharmacist (he's my neighbor)... He usually gets me fixed up w/ otc drugs... or just look it up online... I had a ringworm :bwah: recently, googled for a cure, and treated it with vinegar and bleach and it was gone in a few days... its funny how little the doctor charges for patient-pay visits versus if you have insurance... $35 patient-pay vs. $95 ins. just for the visit... :ross:

5. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

I hear you all!

Right now I'm paying over $500 a month for Pain Medication. Morphine is expensive!:devilzeek Lyrica is expensive!:devilzeek:thefinger Hopefully I'll qualify for Pfizer's Drug Program and get Lyrica for free. That'd help. :manganr:

Alot.:mack:

nameless likes this.
  6. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

I stock Krazy Glue for this very reason! :ernie:

7. Boogerball

:yesman: me too. in my car, in my room, in my house, when I go camping...

8. Brian

Brian flstf99

Krazy Glue as pain medicine???? Do tell.....

9. Fenlore

Fenlore I am Spartacus! Brigade Member

I'm in canada, don't pay for medical bills unless I want the classy rooms and so on and so forth... aside from prescriptions... but some of those are exen covered... if it's you know, possibly or directly life threatening.

10. Boogerball

lol... my last super glue incident... cut it to the bone on a piece of glass... bled like a motherfucker!!! scawee....there's not much flesh on that part of my thumb... I could see the tendon/sheath, bone and all kinds of shit..lol the pic was taken about a week after it happened (right after I peeled the super glue off)...

[​IMG]

11. Boogerball

lol... yeah, I gnaw the fuck outta my nails... lol

12. watercrawl

watercrawl Enormous member

Damn.....damn.....doesn't that hurt???

13. watercrawl

watercrawl Enormous member

Health care is a biatch for sure. Between me and my employer, a total of $10,400 a year is paid for my family of four. Our 4 year old son recently got wacked in the head and got a rather nice cut in his forehead. We went to Urgent Care. We spent less than 20 minutes with either a doctor or a nurse. They glued his cut back together and sent us on our way. The glue was $48.99. The rest of the bill.......it was nearly $850.00. None of it covered by our insurance. $900.00 for just shy of 20 minutes and a bottle of glue. WTF????

What am I supposed to do. Ask for a quote before I let them fix my bleeding son?

14. Boogerball

nah, quite tasty, actually... lol

15. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

My eye isn't covered by insurance. They consider it "cosmetic." Eyes cost about $9,000 and you need a new one if your eye socket changes. I've needed two in the last two years - after each surgery.

And they won't even make one the way I want it :ssad:

I'm seriously thinking of not wearing one and getting the upper and lower lids pierced and wearing a metal stud ... :idunno:

or whatever ... maybe sewing it closed ... :bladewolf :bwah:

16. marypalooza

marypalooza First *OFFICIAL* JD Mother Lady Devil

I am not working for anything! Except beer and wine. No health care.

Boo. :ssad:

17. silenthunterstudios

silenthunterstudios The Jello Gigolo

Thank God for the civil service, or else I'd be paying through the ass for my medical coverage.

18. Joe Whalen

Joe Whalen knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Always ask for a cash price. I have two prescriptions I need every month. I used to go to Walgreens and it was $88 for 30 days worth. After $500 my insurance kicks in and pays 80%. I was telling my Doc how much it was and she told me to call a small mom and pop store and ask for a cash price, no insurance. I almost shit when the guy tells me $26 for the same pills, but wait, for 90 days worth. So through Walgreens, using my prescription coverage it was costing me $264, that's 10 x's more. I was happy to get a better deal, and really pissed I was paying that much more than I had to for the last three years.
    So, always ask a cash price. It seems when you're using insurance they have to charge you more!?

19. Galloglas

Galloglas knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I work for food and the roof (humble as it might be...) above my head. I have health insurance and have carried it thru my unemployed period (with no unemployment benefits) of over 9 months to the tune of $600+ a month!

We can't live with it and we can't live without it. I thought I had the flu last January and after 2 days of nausea and general body aches and a moderate fever I went to the emergency room at 8pm. After 3 hours of surgery to remove my ruptured and rotten appendix I spent a week in the hospital and a month on disability.

The hospital bill would have cost me $28,000. I paid out maybe $2000 out of my pocket.

I have intense fear of being without insurance now. I fear for all the folks here in the US who have no insurance. I don't know how you guys sleep at night. I still feel as if I'm one cough away from another $30K illness or injury.

Surely something needs to be changed when people pay half of what they make in taxes yet have no claim to health care that can save their lives or reduce suffering unless they have $600+ a month to pay for the right to live/be treated. I don't know where it will end but it is a sickening situation.

20. mndart

mndart Crushing rocks in hell

Exactly right bro. we are at their mercy and they have none.