1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What are the differences between the Halo 1, 2, 3, and 4?

Paul12644 Oct 2, 2014

1. Paul12644

Paul12644 Little member

I've searched google to no avail. Can you please enlighten me and also mention the most desirable of the four, or at least the most sought after?

2. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

:madaddy:

[​IMG]

3. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

The HALO III (3) is the most desirable...; well it is the only one I want so clearly "the most desirable." What distinguishes it from the others is it is correctly sized, and shaped.
    you are welcome,
    rats...

4. Paul12644

Paul12644 Little member

Thanks rats. I appreciate the input.

Paul

5. fastr19

fastr19 Brigade Member Brigade Member

Is there a 4? And is the CFO considered a 1?

6. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

There is no "4". MT went straight to 5 (V) from the III.

And although it looks similar, the CFO (I&II) is another model. Besides a few Protos, the original CFO (Combat Front Opener) made it's debut in 2/95, and was the first MT OTF.

The HALO I (AP/Anti Personnel) came right afterwards. The most obvious difference was the HALO's slotted blade.
    The CFO had a solid blade.

The slotted blade of the HALO Spearpoint (I, II, and V) remained a trademark for years to come. The HALO III, that only had a Tanto blade, didn't have the slots. It also had a more popular and slightly different handle shape from the original, that would remain on all the later HALOs (after 2001).

The CFO I and the HALO I also had a little button release on the bottom of the charging handle that had to be pushed in order to pull the handle out.
    The HALO II and all the later versions, and including the CFO II, didn't have the button. Internal detents took its place.

ETA: Just remembered also that the CFO I and the HALO I had ribbed rubber inserts for additional grip.
    They were sandwiched between the handle halves, behind and below the button. Jimping machined into the handles replaced the rubber on later versions...

HALO I:

[​IMG]

CFO I:

[​IMG]

And yes, as Rats referred to, the Tanto blades proved more *desirable*. Hence the first one with, the HALO III was/is the most popular.

But most *Collectable* IMO is the very rare Mini HALO. It came in both a Damascus version and a HP version, ground by Walter Brend.

So small, even the UTX-70 is bigger:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know, clear as mud huh? :bwah:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
  7. fastr19

I knew I could count on you Greg.:thumbsup:

8. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

Fa reel, when's when your Microtech book hitting stores, G? The guy is a walking encyclopedia for MTs.

Do you know how many mini's were made? I love damascus but that mini Brend is amazing. I didn't realize any OTFs were smaller than the UTX!

:bwah:

9. gzb

Here's the skinny on the Minis. They were actually called the *Micro Mini HALO*:

Micro MINI HALO

(1) Damascus Blade Micro Mini HALO 01/99 STERILE
    (1) Brend Satin Blade #012 Micro Mini HALO 01/99
    (11) Brend Mirror Blade Micro Mini HALOs 01/99- some had Abalone buttons
    (68) Damascus Blade Micro Mini HALOs 01/99-some had Abalone buttons- i.e. #003

Besides the later Giant versions like the one above, the Mini HP versions are now some of the priciest Old School HALOs out there.

As in $3K+...

Walter told me they were a real PITA to grind, being so tiny. The wheel he used for the hollow grind was ~.5"...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  10. gzb

And FWIW, here's another MT news item:

The Bradford Era News

"Microtech to add jobs, increase productivity"

By ALEX DAVIS Era Reporter a.davis@bradfordera.com | Posted: Friday, October 3, 2014 7:00 am
    Microtech

Microtech co-owner Tony Marfione works on a machine at the factory, but soon the equipment will be gone. An approximately $3.7 million expansion project means job creation and the installation of robotics equipment. The company has been in the city since 2005.

At one point over the years the owners of Microtech North in Bradford floated the possibility of pulling the knife company out of the area. The idea went nowhere.

At a press conference Thursday morning, they promised to remain in the city after announcing an approximate $3.7 million company investment that will lead to the creation of several jobs and the installation of robotics equipment.

Microtech North at 300 Chestnut St. is receiving automated equipment that will shift job duties so the company is more productive and efficient, co-owner Tony Marfione said. He said officials will probably bring on 10 people full-time within the next year, mostly for advanced operator positions.

“It’s probably some of the most advanced equipment in the world today as far as CNC (computer numerical control) equipment is concerned,” he said. “It’s not just a matter of upgrading the equipment.”

Like other manufacturers, Marfione said that it’s a challenge to find employees to work the second and third shift at Microtech North.

That’s where the advanced equipment comes in.

“It’s going to allow us to cover those in a big way,” he said.

Many people want to spend time with their families and stay at home, Marfione said.

“For us to be capable to do that we’ll have to rely a little more on robotics and so forth,’ he said.

Current employees could see a windfall of benefits, he said. The expansion could trickle down in such a way that they could see better pay, more training and less hours. The company currently has 22 employers at its Bradford location.

While there have been some fresh faces joining Microtech’s payroll, many of the workers have been there since the company relocated to Bradford in 2005. Microtech was founded in Florida in 1994.

Production will be fully advanced next year, with Marfione saying the equipment will be unique to the area, something that is probably unavailable at other shops.

“So it’s going to allow our folks to work a little bit more strategic, work a little smarter, and by doing that, it’s going to allow us to pay them better,” he said. “So we’re always looking at better ways to enhance the financial stability for our employees.”

And even though employees may be off for holidays or vacations, Microtech North will remain in operation, he said. He said that he wishes for employees to have an improved quality of life.

In fact, he said that productivity will be increased by about 200 percent, and the robots will handle the manual labor.

As part of the expansion project, two team leaders from the company will head to Germany soon for probably a week.

One of them is Sheila Dittman, who was on Thursday working on knife blades.

“I think it’s going to be a pretty neat aspect,” she said of the new equipment.

Advanced grinding equipment will arrive from Germany, which will be the only one of its caliber in the United States, Marfione said.

“So we’re really excited to have that for a knife company,” he said. “It’s going to do a lot for our company because it’s going to enhance our productivity.”

Equipment from DMG Mori Seiki of California includes milling and turning centers, used to manufacture knife handles and other components.

The company already has some newer equipment, including two new turning centers. More equipment will arrive this month and into the first quarter of 2015.

The major investment in the company is worthwhile, if not for the Microtech employees, he said.

“We’re very, very, very pleased with the employees we have,” he said. “There’s something to be said about a group of individuals that could work as hard as they do and as loyal as they are to this company.”

His wife, Susan Marfione, and Tony talked about pulling Mircotech from Bradford. They changed their minds, and she said the company will remain in McKean County.

Tony Marfione said he is grateful to be in Bradford, although there have been hiccups along the way. At the press conference on Thursday, he did not elaborate on those problems.

Microtech has grown worldwide, and the company produces many kinds of knives, including Socom, Troodon and Ultratech.

And soon more employees are expected to be on board.

“You can never guarantee the jobs until you get there,” he said. “With the new equipment requirements, that would allow us to probably put in 10 more positions over the course, let’s say next year.”

Also attending the press conference was a representative from the city’s Office of Economic and Community Development.

The company also has a location named Microtech South in North Carolina, which will officially open in June 2015. The two companies work in tandem, with the Bradford site focusing on manufacturing the components for the knives, Marfione said.

11. J-rod007

J-rod007 Pleasant Plucker Brigade Member

According to Pete (Walters last business partner), Walter claimed to have ground ALL of the Micro Mini Halo's. Not just the HP & Satin ones. :devilzeek

12. gzb

Yep...

13. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

Good thread :thumbsup:

Hey gzb, does Valmet's list get updated periodically or was that a one off venture. I am guessing that's where you get your stats from to share here??

14. fastr19

I'm not gzb but I have never seen the list revised.

15. gzb

No Richard, updates haven't really happened to any degree.
    Sean (Valmet) has seemingly dropped off the face of the earth. And Al Monthei, Tom Kyle, and others who furnished some of the info aren't in *the business* anymore.

And while the numbers up to the point where they're posted are generally correct, many have been found to be slightly off. Especially with some of the Customs.

Some too low and some too high. Not by a helluva lot, but it makes the rest of the specific numbers somewhat questionable. And the 'values' are obviously obsolete.

But it's pretty much all we've got as a general guide for the Old School stuff...

16. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

It's good to see you posting this info for a historical standpoint. I've noticed another makers forum where the owners have all chimed in with history/pricing etc and it's kept up to date. Once a maker hits 20 years in the biz it's so important to track stuff. I've found I am being asked questions on folders made 6 - 8 yrs ago.

17. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

Couldn't agree more! :manganr:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DBIII

DBIII Little member

Thank you gentlemen for the education.

19. pirate604

pirate604 Little member

Halo

GBZ, I believe you missed one version of the series, the HALO that came out around 2006. It had the body of the III and the blade of either the III or the II with the slots in the blade going from small to large.
    I bought mine right around the time MT started getting into the MSAR project and stock was starting to run dry.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. gzb

The one with the HALO2 blade was known as the HALO 2.3:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]