1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What are the best knife maker artists to invest in?

jdeangelis May 17, 2010

1. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Yes!

YES! BLAME RONLAD!
    He's the biggest troublemaker on JD!

Ronlad:
    I love you (not in THAT way; don't PM me :D) for bumping this back to life.

Mr. Robertson:
    The time you spend responding and the quality of your critique is amazing.
    You may not have started the thread, but, you do OWN it. Thank you so much, Les.

I think that this could likely be my favourite thread, here or anywhere else. Great work! :devil1:

2. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

C'mon Les... even dealers have been known to tell little white lies! :ssmile:

3. Les Robertson

Les Robertson Guru of Steel Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hi Once Bittern,

You flatter me...thank you.

The assessments and critiques are actually pretty easy. It's all I do! LOL

One of the things I like best about the custom forum on JD is the diversity of people who post on the threads.

My threads are there to educate and inform. Lack of information is generally what leads us to make a bad knife buying decision.

Buy what you like...but why not buy something that isn't going to lose money!!!

Hi Clydetz,

Absolutely dealers tell lies...everyone lies...yes that includes little white lies.

More times than not the lie is told not believing it is a lie. As in "This maker is going to be super hot"...then the maker quits making knives, etc.

However, my trade in policy is not a lie...it is writing on my website...has been for almost 14 years.

That being said...the next time you are going to buy a knife from a dealer ask them if they will match that trade in policy...oh and have them put it in writing...as you point out some dealers do tell little white lies.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2011
    OnceBitten likes this.
  4. stephanfowler

stephanfowler knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Just wanted to quickly make a note here.

I have found this thread to be very interesting and informative and I greatly appreciate that my name has been mentioned.

as far as the ABS testing for last year goes, the leadership of the ABS bent over backwards to clear everything up so that I could test. I was actually given the go ahead to test but decided for myself to wait until this year.

I looked very critically at the knives I intended to present and knew in my heart I could do better. so I waited.

I have 3 finished knives right now and 3 waiting for handles and hell or high water I WILL be testing this year (or my wife will kill me)

that coupled with my going full time is going to introduce some drastic changes for me that I just can't wait for :devil1::devil1::devil1:

again, my not testing last year was entirely my decision and I am VERY grateful to the ABS for straightening everything up so I could have tested.

Stephan

(I know my website doesn't have pricing right now, i switched hosts and lost everything. working on a whole new site design now so I didn't want to waste time trying to redo the old site)

5. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Thank you

Thanks for dropping by, Mr. Fowler. You help to make this Thread what it is destined to be. :devil1:

6. unreconstructedgordo

unreconstructedgordo Level: True Devil

Thanx for clearing that up for me! Last I heard was a snafu you mentioned and you were pissed. BTW your "bad stuff" is still at "Master" level IMHO. Colorl me a groupie, dude!

LorenzoL likes this.
  7. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones CKCA

Very good of you to clear that up Stephan.

Will look forward to seeing you and your knives at Blade Show.

8. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones CKCA

Your opinions of what represents ABS "mastersmith" quality work and who should be and should not be such is most likely as accurate as your summation of the details surrounding Stephan not testing for his "JS" certification last spring.

9. Ralph

Ralph Little member

Jason Knight

Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't see Jason Knight mentioned in here in this discussion. To my mind he would have to be top 10 collectible among living fixed blade knife makers. The Bowie is hugely collectible if made by a select few top drawer forgers...I would be surprised if JK weren't in the top 10 or 5 even. Les surely knows!

10. Les Robertson

Les Robertson Guru of Steel Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hi Ralph,

The ABS MS makers have been in a state of flux for several years.

The very top makers have long waiting times. Devote followings who will buy anything they make. Something that they earned...it was not given to them.

This is one of the areas for investors where forged blades differ from tactical knives. Many of the "hot" tactical (especially folder makers) become anointed by one or more fourms...and they become hot. For many 24 months or less...they are no longer the hot maker. And for those who bought at the top of the market they then lose their ass when they go to resell.

Back to the forged side of the house. Jason Knight, John White, Don Hanson and Russ Andrews are all in the top 10 now...at least my top ten.

Primarily because they still offer affordable knives both at the hunter and bowie level. So maybe not the beginning custom knife buyer will spend the money to get a knife from one or more of these makers. However "seasoned" buyers now understand their knives are affordable, in demand and hold their value in the aftermarket.

I think that Jason Knight guy is going to be featured in the next issue of Knives Illustrated! :D

Another thing that all four of those makers have in common....they are all BUSINESSMEN!

11. Ralph

Ralph Little member

Jk

I totally agree! It was some time ago when I became interested in a certain Klotzli design. I got the knife and was disappointed and surprised with the build and turned it over immediately. There can be no comparison between a custom knife and a manufactured knife. Klotzli is perhaps one of the finest manufactured knives out there. Still no comparison. Mid techs same thing. No comparison with a custom made knife. The first time I had a JK knife in my hands I understood what knife making was all about. It was pure magic. Grail is an excellent term to describe the knives made by the top forgers in the field, four of which you name. Major props to you Les! You are in a very small select group of highly knowledgeable influential individuals that are the bed rock of the custom knife renaissance.