1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What are the best knife maker artists to invest in?

jdeangelis May 17, 2010

1. made2cut

made2cut Cocked & Locked

Charles Marlowe blades have a high resale value. I'd also second Rick Hinderer just to name a couple.

2. aj1985

aj1985 Huge member

There are a few makers/companies/collabs I believe that hold their value very well. Of course everything depends on common sense and you not overpaying in the beginning just to own a piece real badly.

Spyderco knives ( lums, CF civilian, Delicas, Calypso, Yojimbo and many more)
    Starlingear/Strider series
    Tad Customs & Strider
    Les George ( Makes a fantastic knife for the price )
    Hinderer ( I think the prices for his Xm-18's have leveled )
    Sibert ( His prices are very reasonable, and great in the aftermarket )
    Rexford ( love his folders )
    Burch ( One of the most creative makers at the moment )
    Manaro ( Fantastic fit and finish )
    Jens Anso A designer to watch, but his secondary prices have cooled down quite a bit. Much easier to grab his folders for a decent price in the aftermarket at the moment.
    Marsh ( Just a gut instinct, but he is really pushing the envelope with his many folders )
    Onion and Cook if you can grab their pieces straight from them.

My own personal list your welcome to disagree. There are other makers out there, but I feel it's smoke and mirrors for them. I don't follow old school makers so that's why my list is mainly of great makers of folders.

aj

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  3. hangtime

hangtime eccentric orbit

I think Les hit pretty close to the mark . . .

when he noted that serious knife collecting has been going on for roughly 50 years. A lot of the older makers and styles have passed from the current scene but I think if anything is likely to hold its value then those older pieces from a bygone era may be it. Any blade from that era probably has more collector interest simply because of its age and relative scarcity. More interest generally translates into higher prices. Scagel, Moran, Loveless, Warenski, Bagwell, McBurnette, Lake, Ochs, Sigman, Bose, Henderson, and forty or fifty more are names I would not hesitate to own if investment value was my goal.

4. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

The "Gotta have it now" crowd will always drive the flavoUr of the week maker's work.

5. Markous

Markous as a kite Brigade Member

I wonder what kind of knife Hit Girl will have in KA2 :cheesydevil:

Amazing what the first one did for the BM42's :devilzeek

6. FriskyDingo

FriskyDingo knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Now that Loveless is dead, I'd say his knives are likely to increase in price more than they already have. Stay away from knives like Strider, Hinderer, ect. They've already fully appreciated right now and likely won't increase in value unless something bad (heaven forbid) happens and Mick or Rick can't make knives anymore. The only investment worthy Striders are their starlingear collabs I think, but I see an awful lot of people selling those at loss...

Kirby Lambert would be a good one, his customs, not the midtechs. Warren Thomas is also in the same league, reasonably priced now but they have sexy and odd designs respectively that I think will fetch a nice price down the road.

Personally Blackwood is at the top of my list. I don't know what he charges but they can't be cheap, but a knife like a custom Skirmish is an heirloom, if I had one it'd be in the family for MANY generations and I think in a hundred years would be worth a LOT of money.

Burch was suggested by Oromoto, his designs don't do anything for me but there's a huge fanbase for burch and if you buy a burch, you can pretty much pawn it off at any point for what you paid for it. Won't make any money tho.

7. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

Buster Warenski was mentioned earlier as the greatest maker of the last fifty years and his knives are undervalued. Well if thats the case this one must be a cheap sell...

http://www.nordicknives.com/GenGAL1.php?id=4934

Personally his knives do nothing for me but you know us loyal to the stripes types....:deadevil:

8. Les Robertson

Les Robertson Guru of Steel Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hey Worker,

You consider $850,000 a cheap sell?

Or are you just saying that because you don't know the history of that knife?

9. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

Given what I have seen happen with Cook Lochsa's over the past 12/24 months, I could state my collection has gone up in value.

Problem is I have difficulty selling them with a huge profit in mind. Being a part of this forum negates any possibility of selling them at all at current market values.

(read that as a please do not PM me to buy mine, ok?)

Other makers that would fit the same category would be IMHO

Phil Boguszewski

Tim Galyean (Customs)

Ken Onion

These makers are are all low volume makers. Not saying they are the best makers but since their volumes are so low, it creates a huge secondary market for their knives.

10. Worker

I was being sarcastic. The internet does not always do well with my sense of humor.

11. Les Robertson

Les Robertson Guru of Steel Knife Maker or Craftsman

HI Worker,

Fair enough.

Believe it or not, given the knife and what it originally sold for....it is a pretty good deal. If you have an extra $850K lying around.

12. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Does he make a tactical black version and will we see it in LDC format soon? :devilinheaven:

13. Worker

Well the way Gold keeps going up that knife might not be a bad investment with 32 ounces of gold in it.

14. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

"Smilies" are your friend, and Les' too :bwah:

15. Worker

I like Les!!!! :bwah::devilzeek:shockedevil: :we need a sarcastic devil smilie:

Joking again of course.:ross:

16. LorenzoL

LorenzoL Rampaging Devil

If we are talking about makers that price their knives well below market value, then I would say Michael Burch and Rick Hinderer.

17. rhino-ranch

rhino-ranch Little member

I would like to believe that EDMUND DAVIDSON knives are a good investment, because I have 2 [non-integral], a bowie and tanto. EDMUND DAVIDSON knives are quite unique featuring his "integral" bolsters. I can only imagine the amount of steel that has to be removed. My recollection is that his knives have been on the cover of Blade Magazine a few times.

Buster Warenski one cannot argue with the detail, opulence and excellence of his work. But for those like myself not fully familiar -- an asterisk would have helped indicate that the 6-figure knife was made of solid gold. Certainly that add to the value.:schmoove:

I think I'll head down to Mexico and look for the original Bowie knife ... I bet, that's got to be worth something. :ssmile:

18. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

A couple of makers I have already but I am now going to put out there as users are a Les George FM 1 with a bolster lock, S35V blade and a GTC folder. These are great makers to deal with and quite reasonably priced too.

I have the FM 1 on its way to Leatherman for a sheath for this new EDC.

:thumbsup:

19. havana d

havana d Brigade Member Brigade Member

I can't believe nobody mentioned Ken Onion.

20. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Here ya go havana:jdwink2: