1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding dress shopping = torture

Michelle May 9, 2010

1. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

Oh man. We're one year out from our date and I am dreading the time when she starts really looking for a dress. She watches all these shows about dresses and she has all these magazines with dresses.... I have sat here many a night perusing the JD while listening to her tell me everything she hates about every single dress on the TV and in the magazines. I have seen at least 10,000 dresses since October when all the hub bub started. 10,000 up and 10,000 down. Theres is something wrong with every single one. :ssad: Oh yeah, this makes me sad. Makes me sad because I know that she's not going to find something perfect for her unless she has it custom made... Bye bye knife money... for like five fucking years. I don't even want to know how much her dress is going to cost. Don't get me wrong, she is great in every single way possible except for this god damn dress thing. I wouldn't trade her for anyone.

I'm not selling all my knives, so I figure I'll just open an account at a blood bank. A pint or two a day, every day, for the next year oughtta do it. If not, be on the look out for my sales threads. They'll be priced low cuz I'll need the moolah fast! All for something that will be worn for only part of one day. I'm gonna say fuck it and wear footy pajamas on that day. :madaddy: Pray for me fellow Devilz. Pray for my sanity.

Michelle likes this.
  2. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

NO CAKE?!?! :sotoo:

The cake's more important than the dress.

Most people are only showing up to get cake.

Never underestimate the power of cake :grinyes:

:bwah:

3. coronelli

coronelli Reaper of Endsville

I think I told you about these guys before. They make great GF stuff...probably cakes too

http://www.wildwoodartcafe.com/cafe.php

4. Michelle

Michelle m1 Lady Devil

Well crikey. If you promise to be there, we will get a goshdamned cake just for you. And I expect you to eat most of it. :bwah:

Coronelli.... thanks for the link.... we actually found a Wedding Cake place in down town Austin that does an amazing GF cake. I am just wondering if it's a "necessary" item. Most of our friends are cops, military, knife nuts and other hard partying sorts. I know that the bar is going to be much more important at this event than a cake.

But then along comes Olexey and messes with my theory. :bwah:

Tony, your post has me cracking up here. Sorry your gal is having such a hard time with "the dress". It's supposed to be fun, picking out your wedding dress.... I think it's a shocker for some of us gals to find out it's really not all that fun.... and the prices are outrageous. I've watched those shows where the chicks from the rich families are going into Haute Couture places with a budget of $10,000. That's right. $10k ! I can't imagine. I told E I refuse to pay more for a dress than I paid for my Sig Sauer. I guess that sounds funny at the bridal shop..... "So, what is your budget Michelle?" "Ummmmm..... lets cap it at the value of a good condition P225, okay?" *blank stares follow*

It's all good. You gotta just keep laughing and not let any of it get to you. Otherwise, something that is supposed to be all about happiness turns into something all about misery. At that point, it wouldn't even be worth doing anymore.

m1

5. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

:bwah:

If I could still eat all the things I like you could get me there with Oreos and milk.

I'm just glad I did all that 20 yrs ago and like most men my only responsibility was to rent a tux and show up.

6. englishmark

englishmark Wicked Gardener

You got to have cake. As for the rest, cheap dress ,lots of beer, maybe a few guests will have a little punch up, more beer and you'll have a wedding that was a lot like my own, really really cheap but 19 years later it still gets talked about.

Michelle likes this.
  7. Cadi Con Carne

Cadi Con Carne Kwitcherbitchin' Lady Devil

I think cake's part of the fun. I mean come on, think back to kids' birthday parties. CAKE.

And if your friends are boozeaholics, I can share my mom's Grand Marnier chocolate cake recipe. OH MAH GAHD.

8. rbmcmjr

rbmcmjr Nuclear Powered Devil

Just don't do the mash the cake in the face thing. I hate that.

Rick

9. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

I agree, that is fucking lame!

10. englishmark

englishmark Wicked Gardener

If we'd of done that with the fruit cake my mother in law made ,we would of had broken noses.

11. Michelle

Michelle m1 Lady Devil

Doode.

You are killin me here....

:bwah::bwah::bwah::bwah::bwah:

m1

12. Katwyld

Katwyld Devil Doll Lady Devil

Oh yes, the cake is VERY important. When we cut ours, everyone was waiting for the 'smoosh'... mostly because they knew Jon. heh He didn't, he was good. :manganr:

Having done it twice myself,... the first time I went all 'need the perfect dress! Aaaah!'... second time, I found a beautiful dress on eBay (it was a bridesmaid dress), and made a duster to go over it. Whole thing cost me about $150. I made the centerpieces and favors for the reception, the decorations were some cheap netting-ribbon stuff I got at Michael's or AC Moore or something, and lilacs from my friend's house (which is also what I carried, tied up with some ribbon and a little tape). The whole wedding was probably about... oh, $4000 maybe... that was everything... dress, tux, food, photographer, dj, booze, all of it. And we got a LOT of compliments on everything, even from some of his family that have been to or done real expensive and fancy weddings. They said it was the nicest wedding they'd been do.

Why? There was no denying we loved each other and wanted to be there. It was just everywhere, I think everyone felt it. Hell, even his grandmother was happy, and we were, ya know, living in sin and all that. :bwah:

YOU are the most important part of the wedding... the couple. YOU be happy, and it'll be a perfect day no matter what... :ssmile: You deserve this, definitely. :kat: :GOV: I'm so happy for you.

13. Halfneck

Halfneck Huge member

Our wedding was our immediate friends & family & then around 220 other relatives I could give a flying fuck about. But my wife wanted a big fancy wedding. When we announced our engagement we were also looking at a new car for her. Her Father said "Car or Wedding?" - we/she went with the wedding. I still don't know what the final bill on it was & don't want to know. I heard the food was good, though I hardly had any myself. I will admit the personal drink attendant was great - kept bringing me drinks right before I hit empty. Had to shoo her off later as I still had a Honeymoon night to attend & did not want Martini-weenie to affect my night.

Someday we will finally do what I wanted - head to Vegas, get liquored up, and get married by an Elvis Impersonator.