1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Wax on, Wax off???

Komodo Sep 24, 2016

1. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

I just bought a stainless steel Ruger Bisley-Vaquero .45LC from 2003.
    Beautiful gun in MINT condition. I'd like to keep it that way. :manganr:

I was thinking of using Ren Wax on all the external surfaces to protect the finish, and, to hide fingerprints from handling it. This is not a collectable, it will not be a "safe queen", and I will be taking it to range every time I go there.

So what do you guys think of my idea of waxing it????

Wax on?

Wax off?

BTW, when it's not at the range, it'll be stored in my bedroom closet. Not the best environment for it I know, but that's all I got.

2. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

I keep a silicone-treated cloth inside a ZipLoc baggie in my range bag, and just use that to wipe my guns down. Seems to work fine. :devilwag:

3. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

I generally put Renaissance Wax on all my guns and it seems to be working quite well. I wipe them down with a silicone cloth also after handling them. This may be overkill, but I don't have problems with rust and I live in a very damp climate.

4. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

I'd put Ren. Wax on my stiff dick if it didn't retreat so often; good stuff, been using it on my working tools for years with no ill effect. The tool needs to be dry and cleaned first, however, lest ye trap bodily fluid residue under the wax...(seriously) :devilfinger:

5. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

I never considered that, but it's a good idea. All my other guns have one sort or another of factory coating and I figured that's good enough. I might re-think that now.

Yeah, I've been using Ren wax for years on my knife collection, that's why I'm considering using it on my guns as well.

I'm just curious if anyone has had any negative experiences with it before I go ahead and wax it.

6. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

Buy a bottle of "Prelim" first, same company. Clean very well then very sparing with the Renwax.

7. sugerwater

sugerwater Little member

Wax on

I've been waxing my blue S&W's and Winchesters for over 20 years. I use a polymyer type wax (Newfinish2000). Works great on the car too.

8. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

Wax On Whacks Off

What Mike said.
    "very sparing with the Renwax"