1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: Your opinion on pistol lasers

Komodo Dec 16, 2017

1. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

I've had several lasers, all of them under $50 each, that worked well............but only for several mags before falling apart in a million pieces. I've been thinking about buying a couple of new green lasers, and I only want them for fun at the range, NOT for self defense. I don't want to waste my money again on the cheap ones, or, waste even more on expensive ones if they fall apart too.

I'd like to hear some feedback from you guys who use them on a regular basis. Are the "expensive" ones (over $200) worth the investment? Will they hold up, or fall apart after 100 rounds of .45acp? Any brands in particular that are better than others?

Thanks in advance

2. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Huge member

I have had good results with Crimson Trace

3. KaptainKürbstomp

KaptainKürbstomp Little Member

I don't personally have a very steady hand and lasers are honestly a lot more distracting to me than they are helpful. I've got a 1911 with TruGlo tritium fiber optic iron sights and I have a much, much easier time using that. It's a lot easier for me to focus and take good shots with the iron sights than it is trying to get the little green laser dot to sit still.

That being said, a friend of mine has a Sig p220 with a SureFire X400 Ultra (they're about $800) and he absolutely loves it. He's very steady and he says finding the target is almost mindless for him with it. SureFire and Streamlight make various tiers of products that are all pretty decent. You can get a Streamlight light / green laser combo for less than half the price of the X400 Ultra and I imagine it would be really solid. I've got a Streamlight TLR1 HL on one of my guns and it would be bright enough to take deep-sea diving if it were waterproof. It's bright to the point where shining it at someone (day or night) would incapacitate them almost immediately and then they would probably ask where they could get ahold of one themselves.

begreen61 likes this.
  4. Guillermo

Guillermo 7th Man of the 7th son Super Moderator

Guess you don't have any friends nearby that you can use theirs? I've had some good ones in the past but didn't care for them. More distraction than anything for me and they can fail.

5. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

Have a few pistols with Trijicon sights installed. They work great with my old eyes under multiple light conditions. When switching between pieces it brings a welcome familiarity. No batteries or switches required. Point & shoot.

6. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Sig Sauer RCS with Crimson Trace grips at 15 yards. Round to the left was operator error. Without the laser the gun is just accurate -youhave to know how to shoot!

Attached Files:

KaptainKürbstomp likes this.
  7. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

I've shot a few with lasers, I have tritium irons and fiber optic irons. My preference is actually red dot sights.

Just waiting for a Slimline one to be introduced at shot this year so I can add one to the 1911.

8. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

Thanks for all your feedback, I appreciate it.

I looked into the Surefire and Streamlight lasers, a little tooooo pricey for what I need.
    I do like the Crimson trace, but they only have the red laser, and from past experience, I can't see it all that well.

Since I started this thread, I did what I DIDN'T want to do, and that was to order yet another cheap POS laser from Ebay! LOL!
    As crazy as this might sound, it might just work out fine. The only small screws on it are the windage & elevation. Once zeroed in I can put some locktite on them to keep them there. The only problem with it is...........................................
    I can't find fucking batteries to fit the fucking thing!!!!! LOL!!!!!!! It says it takes CR2 but that's a lie. I bought them and they're too fat to fit.

When will I learn you get what you pay for? Apparently, never!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

jimmyjo and KaptainKürbstomp like this.