1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Want to try knife making. Non exsistent budget.

saflener Mar 4, 2015

1. saflener

saflener Average member

Ok so I'm 19 and have loved knives since I was a little kid. I think I want to try my hand at making them but not sure. So I was wondering how I could try it out for as cheaply as possible. I should get some money coming in soon so I might be able to spend a little bit. I have no grinders or any power tools. I was wondering where I could get cheap metal to practice on, cheaply heat treat/ temper and basically make a knife on the cheap. Any tips are much appreciated.

Thanks for your time and have a good day.

2. nocheese4u

nocheese4u Notch'yo' cheese! JDBA Official Member

[h=1]Wayne Goddard's 50 Dollar Knife Shop is a book you should try. [/h]

3. saflener

saflener Average member

thanks I'll look into it.

4. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

Craigslist and ebay can be a goldmine for tools too. And for some cheaper stuff go with harborfreight tools. They'll get the job done and when you break one or wear it out just replace it with a craftsman :thumbsup:

5. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Craigslist is an excellent suggestion. :idea1:

6. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Near any industrial areas and or know of a metal shop in town ?

Can perhaps enter and ask if they have scraps to offer as they usually sell back metals they can't use .

Buy some simple files and sandpaper/s and get busy.

You also could practice profiling on wood . :devilcorn:

7. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

popular mechanics did an article on a coffee can forge. if you google it you can find several examples of home made forges. Then all you need is steel, hammer, file and TORCH. Knife making is fairly straight forward.......... Making something that looks good and works well....is a little more difficult. I also recommend $50 knife shop. Good reading for sure and wayne shoots very straight. People used to make knives without power tools for many years. Garage sales are a good place to go too. Some times you will find old tools on the cheap because they take up space.

Also maybe some useful information here if you're into Forging

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/99-The-Devil-s-Forge

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  8. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

+1 for garage sales... Always talk to the wives about any tools. They'll basically give them away for pennies :bwah:

9. saflener

saflener Average member

Alright thank everybody for the suggestions. I just don't want to buy a lot of stuff then realize I hate actually making a knife instead of just admiring them. I'll follow your suggestions when I decide to try my hand at it.

10. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

Second the $50 Knife Shop recommendation.

It's an excellent outline for a budget knife making set up.

11. C.Pettersen

C.Pettersen Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Any Knifemakers In Your Area?

Did reach out and ask any knifmakers in your area? In the past, when I had more time devoted to my shop, I have had a few interested people, ask if they could visit my shop and try their hand at knifemaking.

The knifemaking community is very sharing in regards to information and teaching. Key thing to remember, is be polite, not everybody has the time to take on this task. Maybe you can even offer to help in the shop, even if it's just to clean up, in return to use the equipment/tooling.

With that being said, as others have suggested, the best place to start is Wayne Goddards "$50 Knife Shop" book, or "How To Make Knives" By Bob Loveless and Richard Barney.
    The Loveless book even has a chapter on making a knife with just a file and few basic hand tools.

Just a few more suggestions too add too the others already mentioned.

12. LongDog

LongDog knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hey man I'm 19 too! started when i was 18. welcome to knife making, its like crack watch out....

lemme tell ya, the hardest part is STARTING! who care what ya have just get out there and make something. i started with an angle grinder and rough file i bought from a pawn shop, coupled with some cheap steel (1080) i bought from a local knife supply. but hey you could even start with mild steel (lowes welding steel) to get the shape and feel down.

I started with the "Gough Knives File jig" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9iNDRwwBQQ)
    super easy to make and its very effective. for ht i used a BBQ pit and some hair dryers to get it hot enough.

Read as much as you can, watch as many videos as you can, and be willing to accept as many mistakes as you can and i promise you'll have fun. good luck to ya brother. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :manganr:

13. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns Little member

Regarding "Wayne Goddard's 50 Dollar Knife Shop," it is a book with some good tips and tricks and ideas for get started, but FORGET about his "goop quench" (erase it from your mind) and just use good ole canola oil to start with for quenching your knives. Just thought I'd add that small bit, but it will save a good amount of confusion once you get a bit further into making knives :)

~Paul

14. WANGSTA

WANGSTA Little member

Some books I read and some that I'm still reading are:

Step by Step Knifemaking by David Boye
    Tactical Folder by Bob Terzuola
    $50 Knife Shop by Wayne Goddard

And a PDF floating around called "Absolute Cheapskate Way To Start Making Knives" by Scott Jones

15. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

16. saflener

saflener Average member

Thanks for all of the tips guys. As far as I know there aren't any other makers near me. Also This is not a very industrial area where I live. At least for Metal. But I appreciate all of the advise. I might read that book.