1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

want to get my first chefs knife and would love some help from y'all

blood on blood Apr 10, 2013

1. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

I actually Found the Same thing.

I really did use a number of different and smaller knives in the past but once I found a couple of 10" chefs that fit me and were quick and light in the hand it was all she wrote.

I still will occasionally use my 8.5 inch Santoku but it would be more because my hand reached into the knife drawer and came up with the Santoku.

Large chef knives have Changed Drastically in the last 15 years.

We went from large knives that felt like an Ax to these thin and fast knives that really perform.

Your Kanetsunes are typical of the new styles that more and more real cooks are now favoring. I do like the Japanese Style Blades on the Western Handles. Speed and Comfort in the same knife.

When I first Started making Kitchen Knives the chef was always .125" thick.

Now I make then .065" to .075' thick.

There is a Huge Difference in how long you can use the knife without discomfort.

My favorite Chef Knives are the same thickness as my Petty.

Plenty of Edge Stability and with the Harder Steels we are all using now - plenty of edge retention.

I,m going to have to break Derrick's balls and ask him to send me one of his new Northwoods Blackwood Series in the CTS-XHP Carpenter Steel.

I want to use it side by side with my S35VN Chef.

Brian at Lamson made them for him so I would expect it to be very High Quality. The numbers say that my S35VN should out perform it but we will see.

If mine outperforms Brian's I will have a very good time with that Phone Call.

Mike

2. blood on blood

blood on blood Little member

Lol, its a bit frustrating. I have seen how knowledgeable mike is from this thread and many others. I completely understand that saving more money is a good option and good advice but if I didn't already have this money then I couldn't even do this in the first place. There is 0 extra money and, without going in to my whole life story, there won't be any more laying around for quite some time.

But I honestly do appreciate the advice that y'all gave.

I will be getting one from the link that I posted and I will let y'all know what I think after using them for a while.

3. Towelie

Towelie The JD: Don't Forget To Bring A Towel Brigade Member

To tell you the truth, I was pointed in your direction by my coworkers at the time and i just couldn't decide on what was best for me as a bachelor that seldomly cooks. i was basically in this gentleman's shoes, but i came across a great deal in this set that was more of a best bang for the buck in my circumstances. I will be buying something(s) from you eventually, if not for me, then definitely for my GF as her own. I just want to make sure she knows how to care for it before i buy her anything substantial in price.

i bought my godmother one of those sweet damascus Al Mars, and when ever i go back to her place for large family functions i open her knife drawer to check it's status. I bought her an edge guard and that knife is just thrown in the drawer w/out guard and has a few chips in the edge. I didn't even know what to say, but i am never buying her some quality cutlery again.

i hope you are happy with your chefs knife Blood on Blood.

4. Mike Stewart

Let me know if You need help with those Chips on the Al Mar. it is actually a Hattori and they are totally top shelf.

I converted from a knife block to the drawer. I just don't have enough counter space until I get around to re-modeling our Kitchen.

I now use those Plastic Clam Shell Snap covers that totally Cover the Blade. I can drop any of my knives - regardless of it's cost into the Drawer and not damage the Edge.

There are a number of Brands but they all look the Same

[​IMG]

I get mine from Jason at DLT Trading.

15 years ago I thought I knew a lot about Kitchen Knives and I was totally Wrong - I have learned so much in the last few years. It is really incredible how things have changed from when I first started cooking.

Have You taken a look at any of Butch Harner's Kitchen Knives ?

Great work and look like they would come alive in your hand.

Mpsecare likes this.
  5. Towelie

that's pretty much the same type of blade cover i got my godmother for the AlMar kitchen knife. she just doesn't use it, or doesn't recognize quality cutlery or the necessity of the guard. Forschner/SA used to supply us with em.

i have come across Butch's knives here. They are very nice.

i live in a tiny townhome myself and counter space is not something i really have either. i came across some DIY website the other week that was pretty informative on how to make your own magnetic knife bar. i think that is perfect for me, i just haven't got around to making it yet. I gave that pictured Kanetsune magentic stand to my neighbor and bought the Sam the Cooking Guy magnet block initiailly, it's just too damn big for my counter.

6. Mike Stewart

I like the Mag Strip idea too.

I just don't have any wall space but I will after the re-model.

My Personal Knives all have Red Linen Micarta Handles so I want to make a Mag Strip that would match.

As far as Kitchen Cutlery as gifts to non-Knife enthusiasts you have come to the conclusion that most of us eventually come to.

For gifts I find that the Victorinox line of knives is the best for them. It is reasonably Priced - the handles are Rubber or something rubbery and they are Dishwasher Safe. The Steel is that 4116 German Stuff (I'll guess at 55-57) and they are made for Victorinox by Forschner at a lower price than their own Brand.

The Blades are Thin and they are light in the hand.

The soft blades are easy to sharpen so when you visit You can touch them up in a few minutes.

Mike

7. Towelie

Thanks for the earlier offer on the AlMar help. I may take you up on that sometime.

You may be spot on in regards to me finally learning like most of us that not everyone is a knife enthusiast or appreciates high end cutlery. I used to give a lot of work freebies away to friends and family. Before I purchased the AlMar for my aunt, I gave my dad this kyocera ceramic utility that was worth about seventy. He dropped it on the tile and the blade broke in half. I guess it was an honest mistake for owning a ceramic knife, but I wasn't about to replace it.

Those Victorinox look real similar to the fibrox handled Forschners if I am not mistaken. They are definitely more affordable and good function and quality. You raise a good point about being more gift worthy. Next time for certain.

8. Mike Stewart

We also have a kyocera ceramic knife but it is a 7 inch Santoku.

We have it for cutting things like Pomegranate or delicate Fish that are Metal Sensitive to taste.

Only Lesley and I use it and it is kept in the Original Box to hold it securely.

The one we have is one of the Original technology from 1987. I did some consulting for Kyocera back then and they gave it to us. It actually was the first time I ever saw a Santoku.

9. Towelie

Very cool. I like those ceramic knives. They are just pricey and I am not the most careful of people. That was probably the most feedback I ever got from my dad on a knife. He really liked the way it cut.

10. porkfrydchrist

porkfrydchrist Average member

Shun! Best working knives but pricy been chef for 10 years cooking25.the shun ken onions are reasonable and also great working knives.global are ok but have seen some just break in half when dropped

11. bfm

bfm Should read BMF a new type of Strider

Are the CTS ones the only Northwoods made by Lamson? Or is the whole kitchen line done by them?

12. Mike Stewart

I don't know but I'll be happy to ask Derrick. I talk to him every day.

13. cja245

cja245 Level: True Devil

14. Mike Stewart

I think that is a great one.

Shun knives are very good and VG-10 is a very good steel and not very difficult to re-sharpen.

Do NOT use one of those kitchen steels on it. You will chip the Edge.

Mike......................:manganr:

15. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

I want to get some of those for my father for Christmas. Ooo.

16. bfm

Thanks, have been looking around for a gift for a friend with her first place of her own and want to get her the basic three knives she needs. Looking at Bark River, Northwoods, Shun, and Onion.

Have never tried Ken's kitchen design and can't decide if genius or unnecessary.

17. Mike Stewart

Here is the Link to Jason's other site.

Bladesafe

There are a bunch of Different Sizes.

Mike

18. Mike Stewart

Lamson makes all of the Northwoods Kitchen Knives for Derrick - Not just the XHP series.

If You want three for her I suggest any Brand of the Following

Parer

Bread

Santoku

Women Notoriously use small knives for everything

Derrick says that the Forged ones are the way to go because they are harder to destroy and easier to sharpen for a non-knife person.

Forged Series

Mike

19. okbohn

okbohn knives ship free Knife Maker or Craftsman

All of our Northwoods Branded kitchen knives are made by Lamson. they are great knives. We have been very happy with the performance we have seen. :)

20. bfm

Pretty much what I was thinking though I may include a chef as well in case I am over there cooking. Just more used to a classic forged chef knife than a Santoku, though I do use them too.

Thank you again.