1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

want to get my first chefs knife and would love some help from y'all

blood on blood Apr 10, 2013

1. blood on blood

blood on blood Little member

I'm working my way through the kitchen knives thread but dam its long. And I feel like I have more questions now then I did before I started reading. I've never stressed this much about a knife perchance! So I must say that what I have in mind is far below the average quality that I am seeing in the threads on here. I'm broke and couldn't shell out the big money for a blade right now. I'm trying to pick something up for around 75$. I know that's not shit compared to what many people on here spend but a 75$ knife has to be better then a 20$ knife right?

I guess my questions are as follows..

I know that some things are personal preference but is there anything that a good chefs knife must have? a dimensions that if its to large or to small will destroy the performance of the knife?

http://www.zhenpremiumknife.com/vg-10-3-layers-forged-steel-series.html

The VG-10 3 layers forged steel series looks like a good quality option in my price range. Does anyone have experience with it or any opinion form just what can been seen in the pictures?

If you had to pick a single knife from this series which one would you get?

Anyone have any suggestions on other option that I could afford?

What should I be looking for or looking to avoid when it comes to cheep knives like this?

lastly where do y'all buy your knives online?

Thanks in advance for the help devils.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  2. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

8" chef/cooks pattern

My own favorite is the messermeister meridian 8", but opinions are like politicians. Some are informed and "I can't believe those idiots voted for that......"

The meridian knives have a great curve for natural slicing and rocking. Excellent balance.

Also look at the LamsonSharp knives. Superb knives for the money.

3. blood on blood

Thanks parker! I will definitely take a look.

4. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

A very good knife for that pricepoint would be a Global Chef`s Knife....the blades are thinner & harder than most, and will hold a good edge if used properly.

This Asian Cook`s Knife (Model G-4) is my favorite:

View attachment 102920

5. Antonio_Luiz

Antonio_Luiz Huge member

I have a 12" and it is a surprisingly good knife. Bit thicker than I like so it's not one of my favourites, but I used mine to slice up 7 large roasts at an engagement party and it never missed a beat

I do not recommend a blade larger than 10" if you're a novice.

Choice of knife depends a lot on your knife techniques - and what you are cutting. It also depends on how well you care for your knives - especially how you maintain the edge. If you like to use a butchers' steel I do not recommend a knife hardened >55RC

If you like to "rock chop" then you need a knife with more curve.

If you draw-slice the Japanese way then you need a blade with a flatter profile.

My current goto chef knife is http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riulm3st.html - which has got the flatter Japanese blade profile. The Zhen has a bit more blade curve than typical of gyutos but much less than Western style chef knives.

BTW - I hate kitchen knives with bolsters - they may save your fingers but are a PITA to sharpen. I also hate santokus

6. blood on blood

That's a great looking knife! Unfortunately its a bit over my price range.

I'm glad to hear positive feed back on the knife.

I will come right out and say that as of yet I have very little real knife technique in the kitchen but I'm working on that and am hoping that using a quality knife consistently will help that develop. The one part of this project that will definitely be on point is the knife maintenance. Whatever knife I get I will be researching and it will very well taken care of. That's a great looking knife! One day I'll have to drop the big money and get a truly quality blade. I hear a lot of people saying that they dislike bolsters and I've got to say that it makes a lot of since. My only problem is that I haven't been able to locate many knives in my price range that are bolster less and also has a high quality steel. Lastly, may I ask why you hate the santokus?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
  7. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

I don't think a Knife that has a Suggested Retail of $75.00 is usually Better than a $20.00 Knife.

If you find a knife with a suggested Retail of $75.00 actually made from a high quality steel that is actually the Rockwell Hardness the maker Advertises - Please let us know.

There is nothing anyone can do to a knife made from 1.4116 or 4116 Stainless that will actually be hard enough to be considered a great kitchen knife - I really don't care who made it - it will be a Soft - Lackluster Performer that will need constant sharpening if you actually intend on using it often. (In reality it will be no better than the big box store kitchen knife - made from the Same Steel in china)

There are knives out there that have Suggested Retails of $120.00 to $150.00 that you can find discounted to $75.00 to $90.00 that are better than a $20.00 knife.

I still feel that You are better off saving You money and getting a better knife. Check out these Northwoods Knives made by Lamson for them using Carpenter CTS-XHP stainless steel at 60rc.

Here

A very good Value and a High Quality Steel.

I also am in the 9 to 10 inch blade preference for most use.

I do not hate Santokus and use one about half the time and use my Chef the other half the Time. I do not usually use a paring knife or a small utility knife very often. I seem to have no trouble using the large Chef to do small tasks as well as large Tasks. Same for the large Santoku. I find them both pretty versatile in use. I do have a Petty that I will use if I have time to switch. If I am in a Hurry - I just use the first large knife I pick Up out of the Drawer.

I have no need for any of the knives in between the large Chef/Santoku and a Parer(Petty or Smaller). I find all of the knives in between in size to be redundant and totally unnecessary.

It seems that Americans think that we have to buy a SET of kitchen knives when two are all you probably will every use anyway. Three if you add a Bread knife.

The Myth of the "Kitchen Knife Set" is designed to SELL not to use.

It is the biggest "Waste of Wedding Gift Money" this side of a toaster.

On a More Lighthearted Note:

If You are going to get one of those Sets make sure it is one of the Celebrity endorsed ones - like Rachel Ray or Paula Dean or Guy Fieri or Emeril Lagasse so your Friends - who also don't know jack about Kitchen knives - will be impressed because all of those are Crap knives too (also made from 4116 S.S.) that are designed to sell - not to perform. They usually have very Pretty handles and a nice block to put on the Kitchen Counter to impress people.

Mike.....................:2_thumbs_up:

8. S.Shepherd

S.Shepherd knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

9. blood on blood

Thanks for the extra info guys. Its all being taken in to acount but honestly I can't spend much more on this project.

Mike, I understand that most knives in this price rance will be made from those cheap steels that you refrenced but my hope was to find a knife that is made from a better steel in my price range. The knife in my original post is made from clad VG-10 and they say that it's 60-62 RHC. Thats a good steel with good numbers and the only down side would be if they were outright liying wich I give you is not out of the question. The peoblem is that with this being my first, and for the time being, my only kitchen knife and my only point of compairison. If I did buy it I wouldn't be qualified to give a better review than the others that already exist. So unfortuntely I'm not going to be the right person to tell you if this knife has the specifications that it advertises.

Is there a specific place that I could find there discontinued knives? I've looked without and luck.

As for sets, thats not something that I'm at all intersted in. For now I'm only looking for the one knife.

Also on a lighter note, Rachael Ray is a cute little number.

10. waterdogs

Here`s one I almost forgot about.....from the early `70s, when I was young and poor. This is a Chinese cook`s knife (aka vegetable cleaver)....thin blade, 8 inches by 3 1/2 inches, some type of carbon steel, "3 Rams" brand. Bought in an Asian market for around 6 bucks, IIRC.
    It takes & holds a pretty decent working edge. The wide blade makes it easy to prep ingredients and scoop them right into a bowl (or wok).

Buy one of these, and continue saving your dough for a *proper* blade....

View attachment 103034

11. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Rachael Ray has nothing on Giada. :devilzeek

12. S.Shepherd

S.Shepherd knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

is it just me, or is her head large for her body ? She reminds me a bit of a bobblehead:bwah:

13. Mike Stewart

Any knife You buy in VG-10 will be an excellent Performer.

Your Link was to a Chinese Style cleaver.

Is that what You want ?

The Shun Line of Kitchen Knives is one of the most popular.

The Same Company I linked before has the Shun line at a discount.

HERE

The Northwoods Line I linked above is made from CTS-HXP Steel and would also be Excellent Performers.

HERE

How Much do you actually want to Spend ?

What exact style of knife do you want ?

14. blood on blood

Actualy the link is to a whole series of knives. The cleaver is just the first picture that comes up in the series.
    The maker clames that the whole series is made from VG-10.

No I don't want a cleaver. I want a chefs knife. I was hoping that some posters would help me select a knife from the series but that hasn't really happened yet.

The Shuns look great and I wish that I could afford one but it is almost double my price range and that just not going to happen.

The Northwoods that you have linked again also look great but they are also almost double my price range and so they are also not going to happen.

I actualy want to spend around $75.

When I made the first post I haden't chosen an exact style but now i guess I have narowed it down to two. Ether a gyuto or a santoku.

If you had to chose just one, ether the gyouto or the santoku, which would you pick?

15. Mike Stewart

I find that a large knife is best for me.

I like both the Chef/Gyuto and the Santoku.

Santokus are traditionally 7 inch Blade so I use a larger non-traditional Santoku but that would be out of your Price range so I would recommend a large Chef/Gyuto but........

Not everyone likes a very large Main Knife. It seem that the average user is OK with a 7 or 8 inch Blade.

Check Here for a good selection of knives.

You can also Look Here

I do think that You will find that you are limiting Your selections at $75.00.

16. Towelie

Towelie The JD: Don't Forget To Bring A Towel Brigade Member

i got hooked up on my four Kanetsune kitchen knives at my past job. this set sat on the shelf for around a year before i bought them for around dos and quarter. i have a 6" petty chef's knife, 7" santoku, 8" chefs and 10" chefs. i mostly used the santoku and the petty chef in the past, but the 10" chef is now my go to kitchen knife for damn near everything.

[​IMG]

17. waterdogs

Indeed....IMHO, $75 is NOT a realistic pricepoint for the OP`s desired knife....

You`re gonna have to up the ante, Skippy....keep saving your money !

Furthermore, you should at least be open-minded enough to try that Chinese knife....you might be pleasantly surprised ! :thumbsup:

18. blood on blood

The knife that I desire cost $75. I don't know why everyome thinks that I am expecting $300 worth of cutting proformance out a $75 knife. I'm not. I just wanted help picking a knife from the series that I posted what people looked for in a kinfe, to know if anyone else had tried them, if there were any other option in my price range, and where people did there online shopping. The answers that followed were spend more money, spend more money, spend more money. But I do appreciate what little help I got.

Furthermore, I am open minded enough to try the Chinese knife and that's exactly what I will be doing.

Thanks again for the help guys. :bwah:

19. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Don't you hate it when you ask one question and get a lot of other answers? :chuck:

FWIW, Mike Stewart took the time to give you some really, really helpful suggestions. Several of which you might have missed. Maybe not. :devilroll:

Mike is the most knowledgeable knife guy most of us know. I'd be happy to take any advice he gave me... but hell, thats just me.

I say buy a walmart knife to use until you can afford a real one. :thumbsup::manganr:

20. Towelie

Towelie The JD: Don't Forget To Bring A Towel Brigade Member

glad i could help. :ropeman: