1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Video not available on this device

jjhamilton Sep 6, 2013

1. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

So a lot of my Internet action is done from my iPhone, and this is what I have currently been getting when I try to watch vids, especially @ YT..This is a new issue, never had it until recently, tried a google search for the answer of why and how to solve it with little success. Either I don't understand the lingo (likely) or there isn't much of an answer available. Can anyone inform me what the problem is and how to solve it, I'm missing out! Thanks

2. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I had a similar problem on my Sprint android.

Apparently there was a debate about the cause.

Some said Adobe flash player wasn't paying right. Something about Google android legal problems.

Others said it was a problem with the Sprint network streaming capabilities.

Now my videos play fine everywhere but through the browser, like when embedded in the forum post.

3. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Check for software updates and "App" updates?

4. jjhamilton

All apps up to date....It's freaking annoying, I can't many of the Devils vids:cry:

5. GDOK

GDOK knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

there is a setting in youtube's video manager under 'monetization'

my understanding is that some ads can't be played properly on some phones, so that could be some of it

I hear that they've found a solution to it. It's going to be exclusive to the iphone 9 :madaddy:

6. jjhamilton

So there's nothing "I" can do?? Other than wait for the inevitable iPhone 9!!:bwah:

7. GDOK

GDOK knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

not that I know of but a few of my more apple-savvy friends are having the same issue. If they come across a solution I'll pass it along

8. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Some of the issues are music related. Some songs/bands are banned in certain countries. If I have a video that contains a song that's banned in a country, that video isn't playable on mobile devices. It has nothing to do with what settings I use, it has to do with the music contained in the song. Some of my videos are banned in Germany- Cannibal Corpse and some other bands are still banned in Germany- so YT bans the video in that country, but it also isn't playable on mobile devices.

Not sure if that's what you're dealing with but that is one reason a video may not be playable through YT on a mobile device. I can see all of those videos on my desk top though..apple...but not my ipad.

9. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

It doesn't just include banned music, but also includes most music that is copyrighted.

Generally when you upload a video onto Youtube and use copyrighted music you will get a message from YT advising that it's copyrighted. Depending on the artist it can a) banned in certain countries b) YT remove the soundtrack altogether c) YT advise of the copyright, just so you are aware... but it's still playable.

If it falls into category "c" YT will put there adds at the start of your video if you haven't monetized it... if you have I suspect that they won't allow the music to play. Also, most artists will not allow their music played on Mobile Devices... idk why, but I suspect it has something to do with money :bwah:

I've found that if I can't view a video on my I Pad, all I have to do is embed it on a forum or in a chat and I can watch it.

10. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

The issue I was having had nothing to do with copyright issues. It was a technical issue with my device.

I changed some settings, and updated some apps. Now everything works fine.