1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Unamed EDC Knife

Molonlabe300 Feb 9, 2015

1. Molonlabe300

Molonlabe300 Huge member

I still haven't got a Makers Mark on this one, and I'll be making a sheath for it soon enough.

I hope it's ok to post this here. I guess it fits here, if not a Moderator can move it. This is my 3rd knife I've made so far. I learned a lot making this one, as I faced many obstacles (learning experiences).

I had started this one out with a handle design that was probably too advanced for me. I had glued up a pair of 3 section handle scales, only to abandon them after getting ready to shape them. I had made a mistake on the glue up of the scales, and ended up with an epoxy line between a spacer, and the center piece (Desert Ironwood Burl). I looked like a second spacer, and I tried to convince myself that it'd be fine, but in the end, I made a very nice 2 section handle.

This one has a Desert Ironwood Burl bolster with Orange G10 liners, Natural Linen Micarta spacers, and Black Linen micarta. I used 3/16 O1 tool steel again, and finished the flats at 600 grit. I ground a convex bevel, and finished it with a 600 Gator belt. I ended up using corby bolts on this one, and I have to say, they are nice to work with. This one measure 7" OAL, with a 3" blade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking,

Don

Parker likes this.
  2. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

For your third, I'd say it's a damned fine looking knife.

:thumbsup:

3. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I agree, you seem to be progressing very nicely. Nice looking knife! :thumbsup:

4. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

I guess I got my work cut out for me in SEP if that's the bar for three knives! Great looking blade!

5. Molonlabe300

Molonlabe300 Huge member

Thanks for the kind words everyone. The supports is much appreciated, especially after many hours of work.

It's truly amazing how many mistakes I had to fix with this knife. It's almost like the knife didn't want to get finished. Even when I thought I was done, things took a turn for the worst. I was putting an edge on it, and my 40 micron belt had just stretched at the seam, and the belt chattered a bit while I was on the right side of the knife. I didn't think much of it, and finished putting an edge on it. I went to clean it up, and I almost puked when I realized that the where pretty deep chatter marks or skips the length of the blade. I had no choice but to go back to the 400 and 600 grit Gator belts to refinish the side. I was terrified I'd screw up the grind lines, and wouldn't be able to touch up the flats since the scales where now on. I had a huge smile on my face when I pulled it off. I'm still not the best at keeping my grind lines clean and straight.

Thanks again everyone,

Don