1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

UK Sperati Point passaround is back up and running...

Mr Yarrow May 14, 2007

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Yarrow

Mr Yarrow I am whats I am

Thats great info Mike, do you mind if I post it into my review over on BB for those members that dont come over here?

Rgds

2. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

Please feel free to repost my Stuff anywhere You Like.

I would like to address one More thing.

I have seen a number of folks criticize Aluminum Pommels.

I have even seen the Statement--"Aluminum does not belong anywhere on a knife".

That is Blatantly Not True.

There is a Reason that Aluminum Pommels were always and still are the material of Choice on Through Tang Knives.

The choice of Pommel Material depends on the size of the knife.

On 95% of all Knives of this Style--Aluminum MUST be used.

If You use Brass, Nickel Silver or Stainless Steel--the Weight of the knife is thrown to the rear. It totally Deadens the Feel of the Blade.

You lose all cutting feel. The knife feels Dead in Your hand.

I have made this style knife--at special request --with Brass Pommel on occasion--I made sure that it was a pure Drawer Queen.

If You take two Identical Knives--One with the Aluminum Pommel and one in Brass--The Difference in Feel is Night and Day.

If You look Back into the late 1800s and early 1900s All ,and I mean All, of the Sheffield and American Companies Initially used Wood or Stag Pommels. Then in about 1904--Aluminum became easily available and all of them--Worldwide-Began to use Aluminum on all of their knives of this Style.

(Note--I have never seen a vintage knife with a Wooden Pommel where the pommel was NOT Cracked)

Brass and Nickel Silver had been available and was already in use by all Cutler Firms for Decades. None of them offered it for pommels on Working Knives. That was totally for the reasons I stated above. Not because it was Cheaper or Easier.

Here is the Exception (Besides Presentation Pieces)

When making a Very Large Knife--Like a Very Long Blade Bowie or a Big Chopper--Like Our Forester--The Brass Pommel can and should be used to take some Weight OUT of the Massive Blade and restore some Balance to the knife.

I will continue to make the Classic Bark Rivers in the Classic Style--Aluminum Pommels are Proper for these and we will continue to do it that way.

Mike

3. Mojofilter, would you pm me your address please, so's I can get this lil beauty in the post to you?

4. Mr Yarrow

Thanks Sean, ill give the lad a prod over on BB as well.

Rgds

5. Mr Yarrow

Right Mojo doesnt have time for this anymore, so next on the list is Pyro, if you drop David a PM on here I will do the same on BB.

Rgds

6. Pyro

Pyro lovable asshat

Ooo, another toy to play with and unfortunately remind me that I can't afford any new toys of my own :ssad:
    PM sent, I've not been too active here or anywhere else recently because of that evil thing known as real life, I seem to have acquired one :jdvomit:, but I'll try and check in a little more often :)

7. Mr Yarrow

Hi David,

Have you received this now?

Rgds

8. Pyro

Pyro lovable asshat

Got it today... it sure is pwetty :madaddy:

9. Mr Yarrow

Good man!

Please play...sorry, test this for a week and then get it sent to the next participant (list on page 1 of this thread).

Im off on hold till next weekend, so will check back in around the 20th to see whats happening with it.

Please also do remember to add a review, or even just some comments or pics to the relevant thread already created in the 'Reviews Section'

Rgds

10. Pyro

Pyro lovable asshat

PM'd manganr for his address and I'll get it off to him ASAP.

I've not had much of a play with it, but I'll try and take some pics and post them before I send it off :)

11. Mr Yarrow

Thanks David.

Ray - have you got this yet?

Rgds

12. Mr Yarrow

Any news guys on where this is at the mo?

Rgds

13. Manganr

Manganr Devils Supermoderator Super Moderator

Nope, It's not with me yet.
    :jdsmokin:

I'm gonna use it when I get it though:wes::wes:

14. Mr Yarrow

Good man :signhere:

David - anything we can help with mate? Im keen to keep this moving now we have some momentum behind it.

Rgds

15. Pyro

Pyro lovable asshat

Sorry mate, been completely skint for the past 2 weeks, but I should be getting some of your taxes on Wednesday or Thursday which I'll use to post it on :)

16. Mr Yarrow

:cadi: to you too :ernie:

Thanks for letting us know mate, tis much appreciated :jdwink2:

Rgds

17. Mr Yarrow

So what about some more reviews then peeps?

We have a thread ready and set-up for your comments and observations...please use it :jdwink2:

Rgds

18. Pyro

Pyro lovable asshat

According the the royal mail website this should now be with Ray :)

19. Manganr

Manganr Devils Supermoderator Super Moderator

YEP! It's with me now.
    Nice knife!
    More to follow.:firedevil

20. Mr Yarrow

I think its about time this was passed onto Ropey dopey isnt it?

Rgds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.