1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

UK Sperati Point passaround is back up and running...

Mr Yarrow May 14, 2007

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Yarrow

Mr Yarrow I am whats I am

Alrighty then, following om from this thread:

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12995

I am extremely happy to announce that this passaround is now back up and running and I have the Sperati Point in my possesion.

The old thread was full of usless chat and crap that wasnt related/pertenant, so after checking with the powers that be I am starting a new thread here for the passaround info and queries. I have posted the list below and hopefully there will be objection to a slight change in the order

1. Bogflogger
    2. Tiffers
    3. Mr Yarrow
    4. Bardster
    5. Sean H
    6. Pyro
    7. Manganr
    8. Ropeman
    9. SC Barker
    10. UK Ken

The reason for this being that I will be at a Hammerin from 25-28th May, where the knife can get a decent work out and Bardster will be there so I can pass it onto him and avoid postage faff and delays. UK Ken has moved to the back of the list as hes busted his leg and is laid up for several weeks and wont get any use out of it for a while.

One other thing Ive noticed is that on here and BB, reviews of knives tend to get lost in passaround threads with people asking where it is, what the tracking number is etc, so Ive started a new thread in the reviews section:

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php?p=266349#post266349

just for people to put their reviews, thoughts comments into. This should help keep the reviews in one place, limit the number of random threads floating around and provide constructive feedback for Mike.

We will deal with the payments and raffle after the passaround has ended.

Rgds

2. bardster

bardster Average member

cool, Sounds good to me! Lokking forward to it, hopefully my Bravo-1 will be here by then and i can do a comparrison

3. Mr Yarrow

Ok then, am soon to start packing my stuff and the Sperati is already in the sharps crate ready to be loaded into the car tomorrow morning.

Bardster and The General will be there on the weekend, after their sterling efforts sharpenign Sals bowie at Leeds I have no fear that it wont be sharpened properly :wes:

Hopefully some constructive feedback and reviews will follow the weekends festivities :jdsmokin:

Rgds

4. The General

The General The Devil's General Brigade Member

I will be doing some work with my Aurora on this weekend as well...:ronl:

5. Mr Yarrow

Well this didnt get as much work as I would have liked on the weekend and I missed Bard due to my hospital dash on Sunday.

I will post it to Bardster this week and we can get it back up and moving again.

Some thoughts will go into the testing and reviews section soon :ernie:

Rgds

6. Mr Yarrow

This is now packaged ready to go to Bard.

Very sorry for the delay, rubbishness incarnate im afraid :jduh:

A small review is in the relevant thread (link in the first post of this thread)

Rgds

7. Mr Yarrow

Knife is in the post by RMSD. Tracking number has been PMd to Bardster.

Rgds

8. bardster

bardster Average member

I now have it in my possesion and will be playing with it for a while then sending it on to Seanh - if you can PM me your address please

9. Mr Yarrow

Bard,

Have you had the contact info from SeahH yet?

Rgds

10. Yus my dear. I pm'd him on Saturday. :jdevil:

11. Mr Yarrow

Good man :ernie:

So, how goes it Paul, whats your thoughts on the knife?

Rgds

12. Mr Yarrow

Sean,

Do you have the knife yet?

Keen to make up for my rubbishness with this one and make sure its kept on track for everyone else :)

Rgds

13. Hasn't materialised yet.....I'm thinking the postman has gone camping.

14. Mr Yarrow

Paul has been really busy and it was his b-day not long ago, so I will drop him a line and see how its going :)

Rgds

15. Mr Yarrow

Bardster has confirmed this has gone to SeanH, so its over to the monkey mis-quoter :bwah:

Rgds

16. bardster

bardster Average member

not really much i can add to what you wrote Si, Not my favourite Bark River by a long way, aesthetically. Cutting edge is as fantastic as ever though. Just dont like the style - dont think it works at all, even tho it is based on a historical pattern. Just goes to show that our ancestors didnt always get it right ;)

17. Indeed. Finally picked up this lil beauty, as our beloved RoyalMail had failed to redeliver on Saturday. Note; do not use the website for redelivery. No one is listening.
    First thoughts were it's smaller than I'm used to. I'm a big chopper man.(At least, that's what the wife told me as the rohypnol slowly dissolved in her rum and coke.)
    The knife fits nicely into the hand and as usual the finish is impeccable.
    I love the colour, Elder Burl. Think I may be ordering a set in that particularwood.
    I'll post more when I get the chance to hack something up, all it's done so far has been some twigs in the garden and a couple o tomatoes for todays sandwiches.
    However, It came to me shaving sharp and it'll leave in the same condition.

18. bardster

bardster Average member

it may have been delayed cuase of the postal strike :(

19. The General

The General The Devil's General Brigade Member

IIRC its possible to have a totally different handle on this knife. That would make a big difference I think.

Though, I must admit, I quite like it as its different to what I normally collect.

20. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

I thought I would interject a few things here.

You are all correct about it being an Historical pattern.

In fact--it is the pattern that the modern Bushcraft knife is based on.

The Dadley Spear point is the Basis for all of the modern Bushcraft knives.

The Evolution from a regular Spear Point(like the Sperati) to the more common modern Spear Point is actually fairly new.

The Blade is British--period.

John Dadley designed it for a Sheffield firm and then moves to the States and gave the pattern to the John Russell Company. He worked for the Russell Company until he retired.

To the Best of my knowledge--Our sperati is actually the First time the Dadley was used on the traditional shaped handle of marble-Woestenholm -- Wade & Butcher, Etc.

The main difference in the handle we used is that the Pommel is that of the Randall--not the Wade & Butcher.

We now are using the Wade & Butcher-Mushroom Pommel on that series but the base handle is a true Classic.

The spear point--as used in the Sperati was popular in the U.K.--All over the States from about 1835 -- it also was the favorite blade of Horace Kephart . The same Dadley Blade was widely distributed all over Australia and New Zealand. It was part of their bush knife kit.

Now lets forget all of that--look at the Classic German Hunting knife--Think of the Puma Hunters Pal--Now look at the famous Hitler Youth Knife--see it yet--the same blade.

The Wide Pointed Spear point was one of the most popular European blades for centuries.

I certainly do understand that it is not to the Taste of some of You.

Most of You are actually used to more modern blades.

That is why we make so many different Models.

The Classic are not for Everyone but --they usually still work.

Mike.......................:devilzeek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.