1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

tru-oil on cocobolo inlay

snack Mar 17, 2019

1. snack

snack Tiny Member

ive got a 49-01 that i like, dont plan to sell, dont really flip much, and want to make a little more special for myself. i dont see myself getting an SPL ever, but im pretty sure i could put a shinier polish on the steel and i recently learned about different things suchas TruOil for, typically, gunstock varnish. i looked into comparisons between other brands or more natural ones, but truoil looked to give the best shine which is what in after.

that said, ive never used any of these types of oils, so im not really sure if this is even a good idea on a cocobolo inlay surrounded by metal. obv id practice with it and becone comfortable before applying it to my expensive knife, though i believe you can remove it, if painstakingly, with solvents or, like, nail polish remover and some steel wool.

it wasnt expensive for the truoil, so i got it, but was wondering if anyone here had experience with it for whatever use and if something like this is a feasible, or workable idea. its not a ton of surface area and i know its supposed to look like shit on metal, so a careful hand is necessary, but maybe this isnt even the route i ought to go for a task like this.

advice?

2. Sparks

Sparks Tiny Member

TruOil may have trouble curing on cocobolo. I've used it on gun stocks and knife handles but they were woods like walnut and zebra wood that have pores to fill up. It takes many many coats buffing with 0000 steel wool inbetween each one and often takes 24 hours for each coat to cure. Thinner coats cure faster but if you overdo it then it will never ever cure. I've found right around 8 coats is where things start looking smooth and even and shiny/deep. 12 is better. Guitar guys use it a lot too refinishing bodies and necks.

Acetone takes it off metal pretty easily. I'd still not put it on my bali.

You could hit that with a progression of 3m polishing paper by hand and get shiny if that's what you want. The 6000 grit mint colored stuff makes even g10 shiny.

snack likes this.
  3. Pinoy Knife

Pinoy Knife JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

cocobolo is a very oily wood ,naturally stable which means it will probably be a bad idea to try putting other oil into it. it might work ,it may never cure,it might cause the natural oil in the wood to leach out.
    remember it is your knife to try if you really want to..

snack likes this.
  4. snack

snack Tiny Member

thanks guys -- i hadnt really considered natural oils within the wood being a factor. i knew it would take several coats and days to get it where i want with tru oil, and i was kind of looking forward to that. i like patient projects, they really make me invest care into something.

however, after the suggestion, i got some of that grit paper and ill try that first. i feel like ill be able to use those a bunch, too, for other things.

anyway, maybe ill pop back in here with result pictures when i finish with whichever method i end up on.

5. Sparks

Sparks Tiny Member

Good luck. Polishing paper is like magic for making stuff shiny. You dont hear it talked about very often.

6. snack

snack Tiny Member

it worked a little, but i think i have to put more elbow grease into it. about how hard do i have to polish and for how long? i only did a couple minutes per paper in thet set. i also tried to use them to get some pitting out of a different blade, but i think i need a coarser sandpaper for that first. maybe like a 200something.

anyway, after i was done i flipped it a bit and, although there isnt much handle play, the blade chipped when clacking inside the channel! its small, but still a ridiculous turn of events. whatever. i guess the grind makes it brittle and the ss handles fucked it up probably.

7. Sparks

Sparks Tiny Member

You should essentially rub it as hard as you can. Faster results come by starting with a lower grit and working your way back up. I think 3m goes as low as 400 in polishing paper. Below that you're into sandpaper and possibly dangerous ground on a knife you like without experience sanding.