1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

To flyti or not to flyti

rock3r4life Dec 8, 2019

1. rock3r4life

rock3r4life Sir shtablington

EDIT: I got the scales, love them; because I love titanium; now I'm just trying to perfect the latch as disassembly has led to the spring latch being stupid.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  2. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I have a 51 & 62 that both started out as stock and converted to flyti. They do flip far better with the ti handles, but neither are top flippers. If I knew what I know now I would have never purchased either in the first place. They cost way too much for what they are and the money would have been better spend elsewhere.

If you don't care about flipping and want an edc then I would leave the 51 as is. It is a pretty good little edc and I like the blade on it. If you want a better flipper and have already dumped money on a 51, then going flyti is not that much more expensive.

I feel an elmax tach 3 is far too expensive retail and it is a crappy flipper. I would never pay retail for one. However, I have one that I purchased for much less on the secondary market and I really enjoy it as an edc. Very light, feels great in the pocket, good spring latch and pocket clip, and a substantial elmax blade. The quick draw is very quick with a tach 3 and that is really the only move you need on an edc bali.

3. rock3r4life

I like a wee bit of showmanship, and I kinda suck, need to put more time into learning, so I normally do the flip to safe, flip open, lock. Whatever that's called.

4. rock3r4life

So what on your opinion would be the best flipping thing for cheaper? Like the flyti 51, as I already have the 51, or something else.

5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

BRS

apdallaround likes this.
  6. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

agreed, they flip great right out of the box

remove the latch or don’t and thats about it

7. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Fanboi:yum:

Stop reading Reddit comments where half the people don't even own a Flytanium or handled anything else. The Flytanium isn't even the best BM51 Ti.

***This is...

20190420_125921.jpg

8. chutcher

"cheap" is a relative term when talking about balis. Like @BennytheBlade and @apdallaround said, you can't go wrong with BRS. A brs barebones is a "cheap", badass flipper that is still in stock at bhq. That is personally what I would get. I frigging love a barebones, even compared to some more expensive balis. However, if you really like a 51, plan to keep it, and want to improve its flipping capabilities, then ti handles may be worth it to you. Upgrading to ti handles would be cheaper than a barebones. I could never really get used to flipping a stock 51 but I can flip a flyti 51.

apdallaround and rock3r4life like this.
  9. rock3r4life

And just so I dont lose my "street cred" I DID say cheaper, I understand that a theoretically cheap bali is in the similarities to a cheap defibrillator. One of those things you do NOT want to cheap out on.

10. rock3r4life

and just so I dont lose my "street cred" I DID say cheaper, I understand that a theoretically cheap bali is in the similarities to a cheap defibrillator. One of those things you do NOT want to cheap out on.

11. bp123

bp123 Little member

@AnthonyTheAbyss is right. EDCk is the current gold standard on 51 scales right now as far as I'm concerned and I own all of the flyti and all of the EDCk versions. Better fit/finish, balance/weight and just overall feel.

rock3r4life and thegoodedge like this.
  12. rock3r4life

Looks like thats the answer!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  13. chutcher

They look nice, but damn, they cost nearly twice as much as the flyti handles. Not worth it in the slightest

Shawnjohn999999 and rock3r4life like this.
  14. AnthonyTheAbyss

Finally, somebody who knows what they're talking about!!!

***Flytanium is a good alternative

Shawnjohn999999 and rock3r4life like this.
  15. AnthonyTheAbyss

This is what always confuses me about this hobby. Most people would consider these in mint condition...

- $400 on a BRS AB...great value
    - $650 on a BM42 spring latch...great value
    - $700 on a Tachyon II Bowie...great value
    - $650 on an Arc Angel...great value

I bought two versions of the EDCk and each cost me $500 (?)...I can't recall. I consider both of them better than the AB, BM42, and just about every balisong in that price range.

***I don't understand what is considered a great value or not in this hobby

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  16. chutcher

I have been talking about the $225 brs barebones. I'll take one of those over edkc 51 scales any day...

17. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

none of those are a great value

how much kool-aid did you drink?

*or were you implying people now a days consider those prices you listed a great value?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  18. rock3r4life

I dunno, I've been searching for some local titanium sheet so I can hammer out some handles, I have the equipment just need the material. A few things would work, really,; carbon, ti, manganese, plutonium, uranium, you know, cool stuff ;p

19. AnthonyTheAbyss

Ummmm....maybe...yes(?):Celebration:. I'll stick to my final comment...

***Quoting myself..."I don't understand what is considered a great value or not in this hobby"

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  20. rock3r4life

I think it all comes down to personal preference, really. Some chevy guy may say they got their z06 foot a great "value" and then the guy with a gt40 shits all over em. Ford vs Chevy has some deep roots.