1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Tips from anyone on building confidence with live blade??

Colt.McDaniel May 10, 2017

1. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

That's the first thing I started doing, I had absolutely no finger dexterity and wanted to do something cool so big aerials was the option at the time. Lots of bad cuts. Lol.

Colt.McDaniel likes this.
  2. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

you can learn perfectly fine with a taped blade. ive flipped nothing but taped blades and trainers for years and just a few months back i went live and havent gotten cut yet. just muster up the courage and be prepared for cuts, though try to be logical when flipping; if you think catching the knife at any point is a bad idea, then its probably a bad idea

Alan and Colt.McDaniel like this.
  3. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Stick it or get sticked.

4. AerialMorpho

AerialMorpho Little Member

My advice is to just start flipping live. I learned on a live blade, and I'm glad I did. In my opinion trainers and taped blades offer no incentive to really nail new moves, as there is no consequence for messing up. I think getting bit played a big role in making me the semi- adequate flipper I am now. I am not great or anything, but I owe my skills to the hundreds of little injuries I've sustained. I taught myself the moves, but the knife itself taught me the value of precision, patience, and consistency.

begreen61 likes this.
  5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I wish martial artists would take your advice guys...I mean ....think about it.... if they don`t puncture a kidney or slash few arteries how tha fuck they gonna learn the right "moves" to avoid it.....:bangdesk:

seandavid55, VashHash and stdlrf11 like this.
  6. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

Always go extreme live blade brah....

7. dominico

dominico Little Member

The fear of getting cut is almost always worse than the cut itself.

After I accidentally did a ricochet off my knuckles while holding the bite handle and seeing what minimal damage it actually caused me, my mental block went away. Now I only tape the blade when experimenting with new stuff where I don't know what the expected outcome should be. I've only ever dabbled with aerials, but when I take a bigger interest in them I'll tape the blade for those until I feel I've got them down well enough to try to incorporate them into freestyle. 8 ball, Zen rollover, helix type stuff: live blade all the way. You are really only going to give yourself glorified paper cuts with those.

On a new knife, if the weight distro is really foreign to you, tape the blade until you get used to pulling your normal stuff on it. Then go live from then on. Flip where you aren't afraid to drop your knife, over grass, a mattress, couch, etc. If flipping over furniture put a ratty towel over it to avoid puncturing the upholstry.

XtraMedium and desmodus like this.
  8. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

trainers can lead to sloppiness, better to use a live blade and learn the lesson once

begreen61 likes this.
  9. Stayxsweet

Stayxsweet Little member JDBA Official Member

I know I'm a little late but I'd consider getting a rep or ab. The bas r is sharp and the tip is unforgiving which makes it less appealing as a beginners knife. Might be easier to get over that fear with something else imo.

Like everyone else said just keep practicing and you'll get over it the more you get bit. Just do shit slow and step by step and you'll eventually get smoother and faster. You'll get bit less and you'll learn how to avoid hard bites when you can. Just be patient cause it takes time, but once your fingers build strength new tricks come easier and faster

XtraMedium likes this.
  10. XxGRYMMxX

XxGRYMMxX The Crayola Kid JDBA Official Member

Live blade. Chicks dig scars dude.

11. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

:fixed:

:cheesydevil:

12. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

smack it around and show it whos boss.

say, " I aint scared of you"

and "Gator don't play no shit Gator never been about that, Never been about playin no shit"

now enjoy flipping with confidence.

youre welcome.

13. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Practice make perfect ,with out the one there is no perfection .

Kelper likes this.
  14. Echo_6R

Echo_6R Tiny Member

Dont be scared to get cut, like loosey said, smack it around and beat the fuck out of it!

15. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

...one sentence
    Palethius and the $20.000 drop.....:parker: