1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Timing problems on a new revolver...Taurus waiting game

Nathan Dewey Dec 1, 2017

1. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

Last week on black friday I walked into Shoot Point Blank and wound up picking up a Taurus 85 SS for $200. I had been looking at snub nosed revolvers for a while and with recent events in my professional life I decided to treat myself. After shooting 60 rounds (50 125gr fmj and 10 125gr hornady xtp) I took it home, was getting ready to clean it and while dry firing double action 1-2 of the chambers wouldn't turn unless I pulled the trigger really fast. This is the first time I've ever seen/heard of this happening where the double action can be out of time but the single action works fine. I didn't notice it when shooting because I was switching between single to double on the same loaded cylinder.
    I think I had one failure to fire but I didn't think anything of it at the time. So I drove back to the store, turned it into their guy who handles claims and got a service number from Taurus with a ETA of up to 6 weeks. My question is less about taurus but more if anybody else has had the same problem with a revolver. Taurus isn't the best revolver, but they're better than 60 rounds. I will attempt to stay optimistic because being on both sides of things like this before, I believe in giving companies the opportunity to make things right.
    And I do really like the gun and for me it fills a lot of different purposes. Worse case scenario, I'll be able to get most of my money back and I'll have a frame of reference for having guns repaired outside the US.

2. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

I have a Taurus .38 special that I bought for $50. It appears to be 20 years old. I had never shot it, it sat at the back of my office safe for 4 years. One day when a friend was in town I pulled out all the guns from that safe to have show and tell. After looking at the Taurus he asked me what I thought about the brand. I had only had 1 other Taurus (a 7 shot .357) so I said "they are Ok they go bang when you pull the trigger" He said "This one doesn't. It worked in single shot but would not cycle in double action. I never knew because I NEVER dry fire any weapon.

I took it into my gunsmith and he said someone had disassembled it for cleaning and reassembled it incorrectly.
    My gunsmith put it back together correctly and it works fine.
    Some people think Taurus is the Saturday Night Special of revolvers, I'm still not sure, but you get what you pay for. I have never had a problem with a Smith & Wesson, and I never bought a Smith & Wesson for $50.:bennyda:

3. Nathan Dewey

That's interesting. I wouldn't think that because the hand that moves the teeth is the same for single and double. Must be a problem with the mechanism that pushes the hand when the trigger is actively pulled. Also some good news, it turns out it's going to Florida instead of Brazil.

4. sam eib

sam eib Average Member

I've owned quite a few Taurus wheel guns and never had a problem with any of them, but it's been awhile back. Also heard they're not as good as they used to be.

5. Nathan Dewey

Hey remember this thread? :bump:Well Wednesday I called the FFL that was handling my transfer and it turned out my replacement revolver had arrived that day and said it would be available Thursday. So yesterday I go in, do the paperwork, look it over, put 48 rounds through it, took it home, cleaned it, put it away, took it out today and what do you know it still works. :wootdance
    On the gun:
    It's what you'd expect from a budget import. Some very small blemishes, mostly in the window of the frame. A body screw shows signs that it was tightened down with an ill-fitting bit driver but is not stripped, and there's a little grit when pushing the ejector rod. With that said, I think the trigger on this 856 is actually better than the 85 I originally had. Either it's lighter or the pull was shortened along with packing in a 6th chamber while keeping it at around the same weight, 21.6 ounces in stainless steel. I'm also happy they've done away with that goofy screw lock built into the hammer instead giving you a normal cable lock that you can use or keep in the box.
    At 5 yards it seemed to shoot straight and though the recoil isn't bad the hard rubber grips have this really aggressive checkering that will both give you a great grip but also leave your palm raw.
    On Taurus CS:
    This whole process start to end took almost a year and 5 months. Initially I was told that the cylinder on the 85 needed to be replaced and they were waiting on the part to come in through customs. However during that time it turns out they were discontinuing the 85 to produce the 856 which is what I have now. I called Taurus around late January/ early February and was offered a replacement. I'm convinced had I not called Taurus on a whim I would have never gotten my gun.
    As annoyed as I am that it took so long (I'm thinking what if I was really poor and this was my only gun) they did at least deliver and they didn't try to make me feel stupid over the phone when I called those few times. I'm still very skeptical of Taurus as a brand to recommend but at least now I have a low cost piece that can sling heavy 38's and could be an okay first gun for someone in the family down the road.