1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Thread locker.. necessary or not?

nachosun Dec 15, 2014

1. nachosun

nachosun Huge member

Simple question here.. how necessary is thread lock for bali's? I mean, what exactly does it do? More importantly, what happends if i don't apply it to my new balisongs?

THEONEANDONLY likes this.
  2. CowStabber

CowStabber Little member

Your screws will fall out

3. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

Someone call for a thread locker?

:manganr:

(yes you need it if you are going to bang a balisong around)

4. Ronlad

Ronlad Vox Diabolus Administrator

I can lock threads.... :ropeman:

skyblue likes this.
  5. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

necessary

tolerancing doesnt account for impact entirely, impact being a rogue element is mostly curtailed by the loctite.

6. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Threadlocker is an anaerobic ahh fuck it heres the copy and past edition

Anaerobic adhesives are single-component acrylic adhesives which cure rapidly at or below room temperature when air is excluded, but they remain in an uncured stage over a long time when they are exposed to an adequate supply of air. Thus, anaerobic adhesives are widely used in retaining compounds for nuts and bolts, in sealants, and for impregnation. Recently, anaerobic adhesives have also been used in electrical and electronic applications because of their fast room temperature cure capability and their convenience

if it's not pin construction i would loctite it. Some people use teflon tape and some people go as far as superglue. I used superglue on a cheap bali years ago and the screw is still there.

7. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Use blue until you get the hang of it and let it cure for a full 24 hrs. Once you have a good handle on it (maybe assembling reassembling a Bali 12+ times) switch to red.

8. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

wtf?

9. himan1240

himan1240 Brigade Member Brigade Member

Thread locker is a definite must! I just received a fellow member's bali in the mail and fully intend to loctite it before I send it back to him. If you want to lose very small and oddly sized screws, don't worry about it.

10. squidmaster23

squidmaster23 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Thread locker is a really effective lubricant for your pivots. Both red and blue work and after just 24 hours it should be super smooth! :thumbsup:

11. dus7man

dus7man Jet life to the next life JDBA Official Member

Well let's see here, it's called Thread locker. What do you think it does?....

12. himan1240

himan1240 Brigade Member Brigade Member

I heard purple works very very well for balisongs. One thing, I would not recommend red thread locker unless you are certain you would not want to take the knife apart again. I use blue because I like to tinker and it still lets me take it a part later with little effort, but holds it together beautifully when it is together.

13. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Lemme guess your parents never sat you down for the birds, bees, and threadlocker talk

Kids these days...... :bwah::bwah::bwah:

14. jamex

jamex Organic Polygraph JDBA Official Member

will also echo avoiding red thread locker. blue does the job and still allows you to take apart your bali later to clean, tighten, modify etc. Red thread locker is akin to crazy gluing the screw inside. I've had to drill out pivots before because someone used red loctite before the knife was in my possession.

...spellcheck likes to auto-correct loctite to lactate :manganr:

15. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Don't forget to lock all the screws...not just the pivots.

***Use a lighter lock on the non pivots since they don't take much punishment

16. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i don't know why i think this is so funny.

begreen61 likes this.
  17. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

Very necessary. I tried using the light duty blue loc-tite for ease of future disassembly, it didn't ease anything. You gotta go with the God glue if u want consistent flipaction.

Yes, flipaction. It's a word I just made up, use it, tell your friends about it. It's the word flip and action put together, cool huh?

Balibuyer likes this.
  18. Atheos

Atheos Average member JDBA Official Member

Necessary

However, I broke the loctite in my AB pivots a couple months ago and haven't had to put more in. I have to tighten the screws maybe once a week, but just by a tiny fraction of a turn. I haven't bothered putting more loctite. Dont know if its due to tolerances, or just the loctite mess still being in the pivots thats keeping them mostly tight. Granting, i only flip a few hours a week, and almost all over something soft so that makes a difference im sure

begreen61 likes this.
  19. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

my bali are mostly like this. i attribute it to the fact that i never flip over hard surfaces and i never clean out the old loctite. i hear people gripe loctite a lot saying it doesn't work for them. there are reasons why it works less for some people. if you're flipping over hard surfaces the banging is going to break the loctite. also, if you clean the hell out of the screws and pivots every time you apply i find it breaks easier for me. i never clean the threads before applying new loctite. i leave all of the old shit in there. it lasts a very long time for me before it breaks and then it's like you said, i just tweak the pivots a touch and they're good for a while again.

i've never felt i needed to use red.

20. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I've been employed as an Automotive Technician for 17yrs now and I've used red loctite probably less than 10 times in my career lol. So on a Bali...Hell naw. Blue and purple works just fine for me.