1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the BRS AB infinity ?

Corpsegrinder Feb 5, 2017

1. ENGRISH

ENGRISH JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Sold a regular AB to fund my Infinity, mainly to have the S35VN blade for edc/general use, but loving the rounded handles more than I thought I would so far!

On a side note, but if anyone was holding off buying one because they weren't colorful enough:
    [​IMG]

2. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

Are the rounded off handles on the infinity identical to what you would expect coming back from their custom shop if you sent a regular AB off to them to get rounded?

3. rxavage

rxavage Little member

so i broke and bought the purple infinity alt blade. i picked up an ab alt as soon as it became available after acquiring a premium ab and i planned on sending it to the custom shop to get exactly what this infinity offers. now i will be doing something i have never done before, i'll be selling a knife. i have never been able to part with a blade no matter how much i told myself i would, but there is no reason to let the alt ab sit untouched when someone else could be experiencing the awesomeness of a brs ab. besides i'm going to want the hom ti basilisk when that drops, selling this knife will make that purchase that much more justifiable. i regret the day i reclaimed that old pacific cutlery bali my parents confiscated 20 years ago and sent me down this road. but i have tired of fixed and folders, and flipping is so much more fulfilling. with all that said i can't wait for the infinity to arrive. waiting is the worst, i hate it.

begreen61 and desmodus like this.
  4. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

infinity due soon, hoping to find a 3.0 stock to compare

5. zephyr05

zephyr05 Little member Brigade Member

Cool, which one did you get? I have one of each, I find them pretty different actually.

coll3ctor likes this.
  6. Dustygmt

The difference is night and day. I was positive that I liked the 8AB better when I first got it but now I'm not so sure, I keep second guessing it. It's been a while since I handled a stock AB but I sometimes think I might have preferred something in the middle, maybe not quite as rounded but Idk. I like both of them and at the end of the day I'd happily own or recommend either...

zephyr05 likes this.
  7. zephyr05

I feel the the exact same way. They are both great in their own ways.

Dustygmt likes this.
  8. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

i got the blue anodized, id have preferred the usual color but it was sold out on knife center. still trying to source a stock 3.0. I see a lot of modded 3.0s for sale in the groups.

9. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

im gonna have to handle both before I decide. a lot of folks say its "rounder" and lighter but thats all relative to their experience. someone is letting unmodded 1.0 alpha beast go, but id rather wait. now whats this about the alpha beast premium? is it alphabeast then alpha beast premium then alpha beast infinity in terms of release?

10. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I haven't handled the infinity but from the looks of it the only thing I would change is the blade profile. Everything else looks like a perfect high-end knife. And I'm obviously not a flipper, just a guy who appreciates a good knife

11. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

little bit of both for me. i collect and do some flipping. however for something im flipping, i tend to buy two. one so i can keep mint and another one to do the flipping. that being said i wouldnt mind a slightly handled regular alpha beast for flipping. also yes, i agree, they can do a little better in terms of blade shape. i usually enjoy a nice bowie clip

12. BennytheBlade

Im guessing they use the blade shapes they do for balance? As far as that goes, they did a good job. But for a knife I'm going to edc, there are better profiles imho. Just a preference not a complaint, really

Looseyfur likes this.
  13. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

right im sure its a functional blade shape and has its applications for flipping. having seen the other alt blade shape i wonder how many of those are available. my collection of edc users tend to be more in the clip persuasion as well. but hey if it flips well, then its design purpose is fulfilled. im very eager to see how it turns out as i hunt for more alpha beast. my friend will be shipping them to me once he receives the stock barebones from knife center

14. Dustygmt

I really like the blade profile but I have to say, without the swedge it just leaves the blade looking just a lil, unfinished? Idk, like I said it is a great blade but I feel a swedge really completes the overall flow of the knife. Oh well, for those who want a swedge it's the price of a carton of smokes, I'm sure most can do without but I think I'm gonna send mine in....

coll3ctor likes this.
  15. Dustygmt

Also one advantage of the 8AB over the stock AB is the upgraded blade steel, I realize most flippers couldn't give a flying shit but I'm a all around knife guy, not just a Bali guy and I appreciate any upgrade to quality. S35VN is fantastic steel, I was glad they decided to use better steel even though I don't generally cut much with my balis, besides myself....

coll3ctor likes this.
  16. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

same, its myself or envelopes thats what my balis cut. i cant remember ever taking a bali out to whittle, or cut firewood. even my edc users which are mainly traditionals barely cut anything. open a box at work sure but nothing serious

17. zephyr05

The tougher steel should help keep the point intact longer. You know, like maybe for two days instead of one day :)

I've been really putting my stock 3.0 AB against my Infinity and I gotta say the Infinity wins it for me. My only gripe is that I wish the sharp edges were radiused a bit more. But other than that, the balance, handle shape, and the general handling is great for me.

coll3ctor and BennytheBlade like this.
  18. BennytheBlade

That's what I was thinking- instead of using a high end, super hard super steel, they could use a lower end,tough and impact resistant steel seeing as how it is for slingers and going to get dropped regularly. It would help cut costs as well.

19. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

having scored fine stock models for my collection, i may consider slightly used or flipper condition alpha beasts for flipping

zephyr05 likes this.
  20. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

what steel fits that? is D2 cheap? cause queen cutlery uses it in their slipjoints and those knives go for like $70-$80