1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Thicker BM51 washers?

MTXCraze Jan 22, 2013

1. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I want to see if i could reduce the handle play of my 51 so i figured thicker washers mite solve this problem.
    I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of where to find thicker washers for my BM51. Not really sure what size to look for or even where to find something like that if it even exists.

I did a forum search and turned up little to no info, i could have missed something but as a last resort I thought I should post here and ask the pro's. :manganr:

Thanks for any info

:devilcorn:

2. ugotowned4

ugotowned4 Huge member

I know there at BP washers for balisongs that are I believe .15 inches thick I might be wrong but they get talked about in the spa treatment posts a lot I'd start there best of luck

3. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

So maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way. But if you put in thicker washers, wouldn't you need thicker spacers too?

4. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

That sounds about right. You want to have an even space all the way down from the pivots to the end of the handles so the pivot areas are as flat and parallel as possible. Also, my 51 is perfect. It has no handle play. Is your really worn in? What happens if you tighten it?

5. ugotowned4

ugotowned4 Huge member

That is true to an existent but if you only increase the thickness a little bit It will simply take up the space between the blade pivot and the handles, this space is created when a knife is broken in, this space causes the handle play because the blade as space to move forwards and backwards in the pivot area, adding a slightly thicker washer will remove that space without further pushing the handles apart, and still taking up the new space inbetween the handles and the blade. Hope that help

6. WyldStyl3

I know, but you are assuming enough space has been created/worn away for this to be true. That's why I asked how worn and used the knife is as mine has zero play.

7. cja245

cja245 Level: True Devil

I don't think I've ever heard of a 51 with excessive play. Mine has almost none and its heavily used.

I think your looking for more like .015'' or .020''.
    .15'' would be a big ass washer. Knifekits.com sells them. You're looking for 3/16'' diameter

My guess is its more of a problem of how tight/loose the pivot screws are adjusted.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  8. ugotowned4

ugotowned4 Huge member

Ahh I understand now my bad, my 51 also is damn near perfect play wise but I would assumed his Is relatively worn in to be asking about thicker washers, in all honest the washers aren't all the expensive to I would just say get them and try them if they aren't right simply put the 51 washers back in no harm done, but be careful that none of the little latch pieces fall out.

9. WyldStyl3

I agree with all of this. ^

10. ugotowned4

ugotowned4 Huge member

Ahh my bad your right those would be very thick washers

11. MTXCraze

Its actually pretty new but it seems no matter how tight i make the screws (leaving enough for the handles to move) and after locktite and a day or so of flipping the handles seem to always get excessive play.

its hard to describe the handles don't get floppy they just feel lose when i twirl or try to throw it in the air

12. MTXCraze

Great I found this for anyone else looking on that knifekits.com here is a blurb from that site and a link to the washers. Thanks for the help im gonna buy a bunch and mess around with swapping out washers :thumbsup:

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=balisong+washers&x=0&y=0

"Washers - Phos-Bronze - (.330x.197x.015) - (For 3/16 Pivot)
    Stock# PBW316B
    SEE: QTY DISCOUNTS
    Price: $0.54

Our PBW316 series Knifekits.com phosphorous-bronze pivot washers were designed to our specifications, ultimately to replace the standard Teflon washers in our large kit models and for builders who want the best in performance. These are designed to fit any 3/16" pivot pin in any folding knife or balisong on the market. These washers help the blade to become more ridged in the handle, reducing side-to-side play, while producing the smoothest action and slippage available.

Our 3/16" phosphorous-bronze pivot pin washers are designed to work in any folding knife or balisong. Professionals prefer the phosphorous-bronze composite washer material for its ultra-high slip properties, while providing excellent tensile strength, a noted characteristic of all high performance folding knives.

PBW316B = .330 OD X .197 ID X .O15 THICK

(1 set = 2 washers)"

13. Bartman73135

Bartman73135 Average member

Bingo we have a winna!:bwah:

14. Palethius

Palethius Customizer Knife Maker or Craftsman

Really, your 51 shouldnt have any play if you dont want it. Call BM and then send it back for repair. It shouldn't be like you describe. If it is in fact broken, they will fix it for free.

Also, if there is excessive, dried loctite in the pivot, the screw won't be able to screw all the way in. If this is the case, get some acetone and soak the pivots for a few hours and dig out the loctite with a toothpick. Repeat until clean.

15. MTXCraze

I don't think its broke, its really not too bad i just think i can get the handles tighter with thicker washer. Although i could have loctite stuck in there, i didnt really think of that. its not easy getting loctite out of a female pivot with a wooden tooth pick but ill will pick up some acetone and have at it. thanks for the tip.

16. WyldStyl3

You could also roll up a small bit of a paper towel and twist it up in there real good after it's soaked in acetone or alcohol.

17. SittingWild

SittingWild Huge member

i 2nd this... i have used this way before many times it works well.

18. brady.kevin07

brady.kevin07 Huge member

Mine has an unbelievable amount of play no matter what I do to the pivots. Been thinking about changing out washers and messing around to which ones may minimize the play but just haven't had the time to.

19. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

maybe the pivots are a tad longer than they should and the screw bottoms out earlier...if you want to chance it, lap them...the safest way is to send it to BM...
    ps BM uses .o10 washers so the .015 you`re thinking is correct...

20. MTXCraze

ill give a little update.

i received the washers and found the .020 to be way to big but the .015 washers did the job pretty good. it has little to no handle play now.

one thing i did notice is that since the washers are bigger i had to loosen the screws on the zen pins just a hair as to not lock up the blade. i also couldn't tighten the pivot screws as much as i normally would, but locktite will fix that. Im just waiting for the locktite to dry and hopefully after a few days of flipping the handles stay nice and tight